Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Conroe Bass Fishing

Posted By: plippert

Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 02:17 PM

A couple buddies and I are going to hit Lake Conroe this weekend for the first time. I am going out this afternoon to do a little scouting. But I know pretty much don't know anything about the lake. Is there a side or end of the lake that is better then the other. I know the lake I typically fish is much better on the southwest corner.

I am not looking for anyones honey hole or anything and I know internet trolling is not cool. I just don't want us t get out there and spin or wheels and have to cover a bunch of water. Any advice is much appreciated.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 03:50 PM

Ummmmm....good luck....I'd rather fish in my bath tub at home than drive the 30 minutes to fish Lake Conroe.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 04:06 PM

Used to be a helluva lake.

Periodically pleasure boat home owners around the lake will destroy fishing quality with the help of Texas Parks & Wildlife being their little biotch by wiping out all forms of aquatic vegetation.

Good luck !
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 04:07 PM

There area from the Dam up to Papas on the Lake is pretty good. But the pleasure boat traffic this time of year is horrendous on weekends. C-Rig, deep cranks and heavy shakey heads.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 04:11 PM

Don't be surprised if you stick a "Good One" and it ends up being a Carp grin... I would fish the South end with all of this wind... Junk fish till' you drop! *WEAR YOUR PFD*
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/17/13 07:10 PM

A lot of the bass have pulled off the beds and are starting to chase the shad and some can be found around bluegill beds if you can locate some on your side imaging. Myself and other Conroe anglers have been doing pretty good on the lake fishing the first and second drop offs. if you can find brush in the 8-12 foot range and close to a channel swing or significant structure, you will do great.

Conroe has a lot of bass, there's just not any grass and people who don't fish Conroe often have a hard time finding them when there isn't much cover. 30 minutes on the depth finder will give you many more hours of good fishing so do a little recon before you start fishing. The water temp is in the low 70's and they are very active right now so when you do find them, you will catch them.

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/18/13 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it! I wen out today and fished the heat of the day and managed to catch a couple just as you say Gangly. It was right in the 8-10' range.

This lake seems to get super windy quick! When it gets like that do people just duck in to coves most times to get out of it? Is it worth fishing the main lake vs coves?

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/18/13 03:43 AM

You think it was bad today, just wait until tomorrow... There is a reason it's nicknamed "Lake Ski-roe". Use your best judgement on where you fish, this lake can get scary real quick.

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/18/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bayou Burner
You think it was bad today, just wait until tomorrow... There is a reason it's nicknamed "Lake Ski-roe". Use your best judgement on where you fish, this lake can get scary real quick.

I have heard that it can get super busy on the weekend. We decided to forego saturady and head out there sunday at 2 pm and catch the late afternoon to dusk bite.

Gangly, I am not sure what you mean by first or second drop off?? Are you refering to contour lines? Or what?

Again, thanks a lot for everyones responses!

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/20/13 06:47 PM

We fished sunday and I think did pretty well for oursleves. As described above we did catch a drum a piece but also we all caught at least one nice sized bass. It was the strangest bass fishing I have done. We had the most success about 100 or more yards from the shoreline in 10-12' feet of water. I have never caught any bass that far away from the shore before but this is a shallow lake so makes sense. It was just a little uncomfortable.

Maybe I have lower strandards then other but I'll take these size fish all day long. I will definately be going back to Conroe.

Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/20/13 08:04 PM

The low water makes fishing the docks harder. It's hard to fish away from the bank but it opens a lot of opportunities. Sounds like ya'll did alright.

Re: Lake Conroe Bass Fishing - 05/20/13 08:12 PM

Conroe can be frustating at times, but I love it! Good Job!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum