Texas Fishing Forum

World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report)

Posted By: TarponFly

World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 09:58 PM

So, I get a phone call from the General Manager at Bass Pro Shop (Garland) asking me to come in sometime, within a few days.- I'm on the Pro-Staff at BPS, to make the story make sense if you didn't know. Well, I was actually on Lake Ray Hubbard at the very moment fishing, so I puttered over to the slips and walk up to BPS. When I got up there, the GM shows me a flier. It's the  

4th ANNUAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
                        BASS ON THE FLY FISHING TOURNAMENT
                                                @ LAKE FORK

He tells me they are sponsoring me for the tourney and I am to enter it. I said ok, but with a confused face. He said to me right then, "You don't have a confident look right now." I then told him this:

1) I have fished Lake Fork 9 times. 6 of those days were Big Splash.
2) I have never fly fished for bass, EVER.

He tells me to figure it out. So, I order a new Vangaurd 8 weight fly rod and it has been sitting in the corner of the garage till Friday, the day before the tourney.

On Friday, I get my bass tourney partner to go scout it out with me. He doesn't fly fish but he knows the lake way better than I do, so he was out this tourney and I was solo for the tourney.

730 am we are on the east arm of the lake in 5-12 ft of water beating it up and hitting the banks with top waters. It took us 2 hours to figure out a good pattern and then then we started to rake them in.

After we figured out what the fish were doing, I picked up the fly rod and started stripping flies.

We ended up boating 30-40 LMB and I jigged up a couple crappie i found bedded up in some grass. Most of the bass  were 4--6 lbs on average and where ever we went, we were catching them. I saw the biggest bass I have ever seen in the wild, had to be over 13-15 lbs. She was on a bed with a male in 5 ft of water on a log. She must have been found before, cause she was Spooking way to much and never calmed down, just kept swimming around. Would have loved  to land that fish!

Day Two morning of tourney:

I get up and empty the boat of all tackle and rods, except a small fly box with some flies I tied up Friday night, and three fly rods. I'm on the highway at 3:15 am and arrive at 4:50 am. I get registered and launch the boat and I'm on the way to my honey hole!

As soon as it started to get light, my spot spontaneously combusts and it's on fire now. I landed 3 magnum Sandbass 18 inches on the dot. Then the bass rolled though. From 615am till 645, I landed 14 black bass and a toad 22.5

I texted a buddy telling him: I think won. He texted back that the tourney just started. Well, I figured no one had caught that many or even close to how big 4 of mine were.

So then the wind and air pressure started to get all funky. I hid in a cove for an hour and the wind changed again and it was blowing NW. So took a long drive to the east arm, and the water was crystal clear there. Then 20 mins later the wind changed again and blowing right into the cove I was in again. I just needed one more big fish for the the five fish limit. I needed one bigger than 20 inches. I had a 17 incher in my five fish limit already, but I really wanted another 20 incher. Then I found one in 3 ft of water sitting near a log guarding a bed. I put my red neck power pole down, a cinder block with rope, and sat on her for 45 mins till she made a mistake. Took me 9 mins to get her in. She pulled me 50 yards from the hook up location and had me weaving in and out of the trees and under a log, but she came right back under the log and out pretty much without me doing anything. Otherwise, I thought it was going to be over after that. After that epic battle, my line didn't  even have a nic in it. Crazy.

Tip: if you have a camera/ video smart phone like I have the iPhone 5. Video yourself! Then you can pause the video, and push the top power button and the menu button at the same time and take a screen shot of anything on your screen at the moment. That's how I took the photos all alone when I'm out solo.

At this point it's noon and I am pretty sure I have it won so I trailer the boat. I pull up to the kiosk and weigh in and there are 3 boats there already. They gave up and didn't catch anything. They did the numbers and I had 100.5 inches for the win and 22.5 inch bass for the Bigg Bass pot.

1st Place and Biggest Bass.

I am now the new "World Champion Bass On the Fly"  holder. 10 years ago, when I started to guide Sandbass in a creek from the bank,  I never would have guessed I would be a World Champion Fly Fisherman!

-2nd time flyfishing for black bass.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 10:22 PM

I assume you all took pictures of length and let them go?

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 10:24 PM

Ya, due to 90% were slots.....lol.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 10:28 PM

Videos on your YouTube page?
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 10:56 PM

Outstanding! Congrats!
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 11:15 PM

so awesome man...i freakin love it!
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/13/13 11:46 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 12:27 AM

Very nice. Congrats on the win.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:01 AM

That was a wonderful story. Congrads. on your win.
Posted By: clintm

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:36 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: ReelCrazy

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 12:49 PM

Congrats an impressive accomplishment. Looks like Fowler was on your heels.
Posted By: Weltonio

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 01:21 PM

Dang! Ive been fishing fork all wrong! What size line and baits were you using?
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:14 PM

That is impressive Carey clap
Posted By: Charley David

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:32 PM

Congratulations. I love catching bass on a fly rod. Need to do it more often.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:35 PM

Very cool.
Posted By: 10lberfork

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 02:41 PM

wow very impresive the only thing i ever catch on fly rod is my keester, I have done that everytime i try to fly fish finnaly gave it up after few embarrasing moments.
Posted By: Charley David

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeterkidd
wow very impresive the only thing i ever catch on fly rod is my keester, I have done that everytime i try to fly fish finnaly gave it up after few embarrasing moments.

You are moving forward to soon. You have to wait for the line to load your rod before moving forward.
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/14/13 05:46 PM

Well time to buy a fly rod I guess.

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 12:47 PM

The winning flies I used as requested:

Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 01:19 PM

Congrats on the win.
Posted By: a-mac

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 03:20 PM

THATS COOL!
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 03:46 PM

That is an absolutely awesome story!! I cannot wait to get more into bass-fly fishing. I have been putting it off, but think I might have to "pull the trigger" on some new gear soon.

Congratulations man!!
Posted By: Easdon

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 03:56 PM

Congrats!

But man, you put me to shame on Fork!

I need to go fish with some boys that know that lake cause you caught more with your fly rod in one day than I have in 4 trips!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 04:20 PM

You're pretty "fly" for a white guy ...
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 06:05 PM

Congrats! I am assuming paper tournament.
Posted By: dfwangler

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/15/13 07:45 PM

That's awesome man. Congrats. I keep saying I'm gonna try fly fishing but have yet to pull the trigger. Fly fishing is somewhat cost prohibitive.

Re: World Championship Bass on the Fly Tournament @ Lake Fork (Results and Epic Report) - 05/19/13 12:57 PM

The fly rod and reel I use is $500. Vangaurd 8# & 270° reel with floating line. I used 12 lb berkley big game as a leader, 7 ft, connected str8 to my fly line. No tapered leader needed while throwing big stuff.

But u can get a cheaper rod and reel @ $150 bucks and ur good to go. Flies r cheap if you tie them urself. Cranks baits are $6-15. Flies are $0.50 to make at home. Wind is not your friend while fly fishing. I spooked a couple doz fish when the wind would bash my fly line in the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum