Texas Fishing Forum

Blue heron

Posted By: tylerg

Blue heron - 05/08/13 04:57 PM

Any advice to get a blue heron to stop hanging around your pond? Im pretty sure you cant shoot them but I just brought back ten small bass from a slot lake to begin stocking it and im afraid they will get eaten.
Posted By: T54

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 04:58 PM

trained attack bears
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 05:08 PM

fireworks
Posted By: John-Mark

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 05:12 PM

clowns
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 05:14 PM

motion detector sprinkler.

It might be too big of a pond for this, but I have a friend that has a goldfish pond that has one of these and it works great.

Or you could put a picture of Fatty in a dress up and it will leave on its own eeks
Posted By: Chitterling

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 05:16 PM

gator
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 05:51 PM

... So transplanting of bass from public water is also illegal if I'm not mistaken?

Attack bears would work for sure
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 06:15 PM

They will make it just find. The herons have been around forever and she is going to get her share. That is just part of the payoff.
Posted By: bassNduck

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 06:17 PM

They make Blue Heron decoys, I use one when I duck hunt, to give the ducks a comfy feelin like a deer seein a turkey in the field. Herons are extremely teratorial and he will probably get pissed and leave the pond.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 06:54 PM

What OP meant to say was...

"I kept some fish for a fish fry and had an emergency that was taking me out of town for a bit. I hadn't had a chance to clean the fish yet, so I threw them in my pond so they wouldn't go to waste."
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 07:09 PM

Transporting fish to your private pond is not illegal. Transporting fish from private waters or from a lake to another lublic lake is illegal.Back to the op just let your dog out. I have a massive blue pit you can borrow for the day. She loves chasing ducks and birds.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 07:14 PM

Our ponds are stocked. Blue Herons get shot.
Posted By: PINESDABBER

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 07:46 PM

it is illegal to shoot a blue.They where once on the endangered list .
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: PINESDABBER

Check your stats on the blue heron. The Great Blue Heron is not listed under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973. This species is protected in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) of 1918

"The great blue heron is the most widely distributed heron in North America. It is so plentiful that it is listed as a species of least concern by the International Union of Conservation and Nature."

If a a predator is eating your livestock or agriculture, and there is no viable way to stop it after repeated attempts, deadly force can be used.....they get shot.
Posted By: Stevie

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:27 PM

How big a fish can a heron eat? I'm thinking anything big enough to catch is too big for that bird to eat.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevie
How big a fish can a heron eat? I'm thinking anything big enough to catch is too big for that bird to eat.

I've witnessed Herons snatching up (From what I haved veiwed) about a 2 to 3 lb Bass several times on Conroe. They eat plenty of Salwater fish also. We catch Flounder with Gashes in them from Herons. I've also seen them eat a 12" Mullet, No problems what so ever.

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:42 PM

Yeah they can eat pretty big fish from what I have seen. No matter how many times I scare him off he comes back.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:43 PM

I've seen them eat gizzard shad over a foot long, no doubt one could eat a 2 or 3 lb bass. Plus they have to live to get big enough to catch first. . .
Posted By: a-mac

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
They will make it just find. The herons have been around forever and she is going to get her share. That is just part of the payoff.

Most logical response yet.
Sit back and enjoy the habitat you just created. I'd say you are probably going to need more than 10 bass for a successful pond anyway (unless you are stocking a koi pond), as well as some forage fish. If having 1 heron was truly that bad of a problem, none of our lakes would have fish.
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:57 PM

If you are worried about killiing them with deadly force try a lightweight pellet gun or rocksalt filled shotgun shell. Just a suggestion.
Posted By: PINESDABBER

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Gangly
Originally Posted By: PINESDABBER

Check your stats on the blue heron. The Great Blue Heron is not listed under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973. This species is protected in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) of 1918
Key word is "was".I know they are not now.
"The great blue heron is the most widely distributed heron in North America. It is so plentiful that it is listed as a species of least concern by the International Union of Conservation and Nature."

If a a predator is eating your livestock or agriculture, and there is no viable way to stop it after repeated attempts, deadly force can be used.....they get shot.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 09:23 PM

The heron is also eating snakes from your pond.

Re: Blue heron - 05/08/13 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: a-mac

Sit back and enjoy the habitat you just created. I'd say you are probably going to need more than 10 bass for a successful pond anyway (unless you are stocking a koi pond), as well as some forage fish. If having 1 heron was truly that bad of a problem, none of our lakes would have fish.

The pond has more bait then you can shake 15 sticks at lol. And yeah I know I need more than 10 but I had to start somewhere.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Blue heron - 05/09/13 03:41 PM

Pit Bull or a Rottweiler that lives near the pond.
Posted By: a-mac

Re: Blue heron - 05/09/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: tylerg
Originally Posted By: a-mac

The pond has more bait then you can shake 15 sticks at lol. And yeah I know I need more than 10 but I had to start somewhere.

Cool. Sounds like your bass are in heaven then!
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Blue heron - 05/09/13 05:14 PM

hydrowave
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum