Texas Fishing Forum

Help with Cold Fronts

Posted By: FoulHook Louie

Help with Cold Fronts - 04/28/13 03:35 PM

Myself and some buddies are heading up to Southeast Oklahoma this Thursday for a little fishing excursion we've had planned for months. And low and behold ........ A STINKIN' COLD FRONT IS BLOWING IN!!!

It's in the 80's all week and then drops in the 50's when we arrive. What luck!! I've always gotten good advice on this forum so I thought I would ask opinions on how we should adjust to the weather. We normally throw a lot of spinnerbaits/buzzbaits in the grass and have always had good luck.

Should we slow it down and fish deeper? Jigs, TX-rigged worms, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: okiebass

Re: Help with Cold Fronts - 04/28/13 05:33 PM

Which lake?
Posted By: BassinButch

Re: Help with Cold Fronts - 04/28/13 06:40 PM

Carolina rig... Use LFT 10" worms and cut tails off.. Texas rig brush hogs.. And then a strike king 6XD
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Help with Cold Fronts - 04/28/13 07:23 PM

Don't worry bout it. They could be on fire due to the front. Some of the best days to catch large fish stocking up on easy prey. If the front rolled in the day before, or 2 days before I would go deep.
Posted By: BassinButch

Re: Help with Cold Fronts - 04/28/13 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
Don't worry bout it. They could be on fire due to the front. Some of the best days to catch large fish stocking up on easy prey. If the front rolled in the day before, or 2 days before I would go deep.

This will probably be the case
Posted By: Stephen Fatherree

Re: Help with Cold Fronts - 04/29/13 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: FoulHook Louie
Myself and some buddies are heading up to Southeast Oklahoma this Thursday for a little fishing excursion we've had planned for months. And low and behold ........ A STINKIN' COLD FRONT IS BLOWING IN!!!

It's in the 80's all week and then drops in the 50's when we arrive. What luck!! I've always gotten good advice on this forum so I thought I would ask opinions on how we should adjust to the weather. We normally throw a lot of spinnerbaits/buzzbaits in the grass and have always had good luck.

Should we slow it down and fish deeper? Jigs, TX-rigged worms, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bite may not slow until 2 days after the front, I would start fishing the lake as you normally would to see if they are active. You may be able to smoke them on a buzzbait during the first day or so of the front, especially if you get some rain or cloudy conditions. Make sure to throw reaction baits during cloudy windy conditions and fish worms if you have sunny calm conditions. The fish in the grass may not go anywhere during the front, you may just have to slow down the presentation and get your bait near the thickest cover you can find. If you can't get any shallow action going after the cold front, I would check a bit deeper in the ditches that cut through the shallow flats or on secondary points to see if the fish have backed out some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum