Texas Fishing Forum

Thumbing the Spool?

Posted By: HornedFrog'07

Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 02:28 AM

I hear people say it and read about people doing it referring to realing in a fish, typically a "monster". Does it refer to hitting the release button and using your thumb as a drag system of sorts?

Can someone that utilizes this technique help me understand the purpose of doing it? Benefits? I guess I am confused. We buy these $200+ reals and then would prefer to "thumb the spool" instead of use the drag?
Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 02:30 AM

Oh dear lord, can you imagine how bad that would hurt using braid and your thumb as the drag??? Jeez!

On a serious note, thumbing actually is like a variable drag system that you can adjust on the fly. Just don't free spool while fighting a fish. Now, when a large fish makes a run and you need to adjust the drag, loosen it a bit, then tighten it when you reel again.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 02:41 AM

Well Said
Posted By: a-mac

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:11 AM

I do it all the time. I don't even think twice about doing it. Normally, I do this when I have a large fish at the boat and they get their 2nd wind.

I do it with braid too, I've never had any issues with it. The reason why I do this with braid is to prevent a hook from getting straightened out.

Now if we were salmon fishing, absolutely no way!!!
Posted By: TopGunPilot

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:14 AM

I personally don't like thumbing the spool unless I'm throwing into a 20 mph wind and get hit with a 30 mph gust. Otherwise, I set it for the conditions. I'll rarely thumb it while fighting a fish, that's why we pay for the "drag" system
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:19 AM

All I can say is drags will break your line sometimes when not set right and when a monster takes off the line almost always digs into itself thumb spooling will never cause u to break off a fish. I have done it on many fish including some over 8lbs works great for cranks
Posted By: riverdogbone

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:27 AM

I do it I thumb spools I use my thumb for drag mostly if I have super light line on
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:39 AM

It may not cause you to break off but it can cause you to straiten out a hook, I know change the hooks but some times I forget. Price of getting old LOL.
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Skeet4life
All I can say is drags will break your line sometimes when not set right and when a monster takes off the line almost always digs into itself thumb spooling will never cause u to break off a fish. I have done it on many fish including some over 8lbs works great for cranks

+1 well said
Posted By: soje

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 06:02 AM

I thumb the spool on a cast if it's about to over run. I've done it while fighting a fish when I forgot to set my drag. If I get in bad situation, I'll disengage the spool, and control it with my thumb, but only in an emergency type situation. I don't do it as a usual practice.

Are you guys saying that you practice this as a substitution for drag, while fighting a fish? Are you doing it with lose drag, or actually disengaging the spool?
Posted By: papamark

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 11:00 AM

I thumb 90% of the Big fish I land, sometimes the drag will not react as fast as a fish can swim. I have most of my drags set that you can barely pull it with your hand or not at all, I have more confidence in using my thumb
Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 12:26 PM

I guess I'm not catching "big" fish...haha
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 12:26 PM

Since I learned to cast before most reels didn't even have drag, I set my drag slightly loose and automatically use my thumb when I cast or fight a fish. Especially when I cast, when you do get some overrun, that's when you use your thumb, at the end of the cast. But I always ride my thumb above the spool so that if the spool starts to overrun I can hopefully stop the backlash before it gets out of hand. (Not always successful though, especially when trying to throw into the wind!)
As for fighting big fish, I always have my thumb on there to assist the drag, and often have to tighten it as I am fighting the fish.
Posted By: Transplant

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 12:53 PM

Never gave it much thought other than I have mine set so roughly a 5-lber will pull drag. Something I try to do is regularly check my drag. All my reels are Curados and have had NO problems with their drag systems.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 01:00 PM

Thumbing is a very addicting game. Almost all my crankbait fish are thumbed
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 01:22 PM

I use a combo of the drag and thumb as soon as I know it's a big fish ill loosen the drag and use my thumb if it requires tighter drag.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
I thumb 90% of the Big fish I land, sometimes the drag will not react as fast as a fish can swim. I have most of my drags set that you can barely pull it with your hand or not at all, I have more confidence in using my thumb

Hell yea, my exact thoughts. As soon as I realize I have a big fish my thumb is on the spool, ready.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 01:58 PM

A few years ago I was fishing a club tournament on Cedar Creek. It was before daylight and I had just caught a keeper on a C-rig. I threw out on the next cast and felt a thump. I set the hook.

All of a sudden whatever it was took off and started unspooling my reel...and I had the drag pretty dang tight since I was using 50 lb braid.

Not wanting to lose $20 worth of Spiderwire and trying to slow the fish down, I put my thumb on the spool. Mistake. It felt like I'd put it on a branding iron and all I did was peel the skin off my thumb.

Whatever it was stripped off about 75-100 yards of line before getting wrapped up in some timber. I had to eventually cut the line. I don't know what it was, but it had to be a giant catfish, gar, or something else non-bass.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark

+1 you can feel the fish move and prepare for his run
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 02:49 PM

I thumb the drag on almost everyone of my big fish. I use curados and Lews with really good drag systems but nothing beats your thumb when that bigger fish makes her last deep dive. Broken line, failed hooks, and the strength of the fish on a verticle dive causing the hook to pull is avoided. Last night I did not and let a mid sized fish pull drag at the boat. It was a bit tense to say the least. Braid #65,#80,mono #30, co-poloy #25, I will thumb on all of it when she makes her deep run. Right or wrong its just what I do.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: HornedFrog'07
I hear people say it and read about people doing it referring to realing in a fish, typically a "monster". Does it refer to hitting the release button and using your thumb as a drag system of sorts?

Can someone that utilizes this technique help me understand the purpose of doing it? Benefits? I guess I am confused. We buy these $200+ reals and then would prefer to "thumb the spool" instead of use the drag?

I usually have my drag on the loose side unless I am flipping heavy cover. I want it that way in case the fish makes a sudden run my drag will compensate (that's what it's for). I use my thumb on the spool if I need to slow the fish down for example it is headed to a dock piling or some brush.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 06:19 PM

To stop too much drag from going out.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: a-mac
I do it all the time. I don't even think twice about doing it. Normally, I do this when I have a large fish at the boat and they get their 2nd wind.

...that's me too.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoghunter36
I use a combo of the drag and thumb as soon as I know it's a big fish ill loosen the drag and use my thumb if it requires tighter drag.

+1
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: Thumbing the Spool? - 04/18/13 09:07 PM

Only time I put my thumb on the spool is at the end of a cast and to stop a big fish from running. Use your drag, that's what it's for. Set it for the appropriate line size and lure weight, and you'll be fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum