Texas Fishing Forum

Shallow water anchor

Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 10:28 AM

Do any of you guys fish without a shallow water anchor for reasons other than can't afford them? Can you explain why? Thank you.
Posted By: Ryorgensen

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 10:34 AM

Nope. Wished I had one but money is tight....lol
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 10:48 AM

All of them are priced 2x what they should be. The materials and technology are not that costly. They need a less than $1,000 price point for the 8' models with brackets but I think they'd rather sell 10 at $1,500 than 20 at $1,000.

I have a Talon and price deferred my purchase until this season.
Posted By: Traveling East

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 10:48 AM

I would love to have them, but cannot justify the cost when 90% of the water I fish is deeper than the poles will reach. I use brush grippers whenever possible.
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 03:47 PM

All I can say is get two
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 03:53 PM

John,

How do you like the Talon?
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 04:12 PM

I too just bought a Talon this year. I kept track of my shallow water and deep water fishing plus some conveniences loading and unloading the boat that a shallow water anchor would help with. I'm still not convinced I need two for the way I utilize the Talon. So just because people say buy 2, you need to evaluate what YOU will use it for and how much 2 would help you or not.

Just my thoughts.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 04:13 PM

I won't go without one anymore. Its just about paid for itself in saved lures that I wouldn't have gone after without it.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 04:26 PM

I would have to raise the roof on the garage or build a new one so I could get it in
Posted By: K. Allen

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 04:45 PM

I have been running 2 power poles on my rig for 3 years now. I will say this they are a little expensive. but are a great tool and worth the investment. just like good electronics. will have on all my future boats.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 05:28 PM

This is my poor mans shallow water anchor

Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 05:34 PM

Here the money reason, just found one that was taken off of a boat that is tied up in a divorce, $600 bucks and has been used less than 10 times gonna have to do it!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 05:39 PM

Price for me...I just dropped 4k on graphs. I need a little time to let that hole in my gut heal.
Posted By: Badbasslures

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 05:48 PM

Money not withstanding, I'd have two PP's!
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 06:01 PM

I just installed 2 PP on my boat. Firt tournament I fished I felt I had got my moneys worth. NO did not get a big check, but with severe high winds that day I was able to anchor in the mouth of the coves leading to the spawning flats and fan cast the flats without churning up the water with my trolling motor. I was culling by 8 am. I pulled out of the spot and watched 3 other boats try to fish it with no success. LOVE MINE. But in reality I could have done the same thing with a coupld of mushroom anchors a lot cheaper. BUT would not have been easier.
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 06:07 PM

Somebody needs to post a pic of Packs redneck powerpole and post it...I keep forgetting to take a pic of it!
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodney2100
This is my poor mans shallow water anchor

That's what I do, minus leaving it permanently installed.

I'm blessed to have a fiberglass boat and electronics that get me from A to B. But I just can't justify putting two PPs on the back, when I can take two 10 ft conduit poles, shove them in the ground with a ---little--- American muscle, tie up (all takes less than a minute), and be just fine. When I'm done sitting shallow for the year, I can take them out of the boat (less than 10 seconds) and get back to my business. Not to mention that the poles don't slow my boat down and double up as push poles.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/28/13 07:06 PM

I had never been on a boat with either the Talon or Power Poles until about 6 weeks ago. Before that I thought they were gimmicky and unnecessary. Now, what an excellent tool to have. My next boat will have 2 shallow anchors.
Posted By: TopGunPilot

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Price for me...I just dropped 4k on graphs. I need a little time to let that hole in my gut heal.

I feel your pain! Neat picture of the "poor man's anchor". Hope it's only for a short time and the wind's not blowing
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 03:28 PM

I installed a Talon a month or so ago on my skeeter. I use it all the time. I fish by myself a lot so I use it when I beach the boat so I can pull the truck up. I also use it when I have to retie a bait, pull out a backlash, etc., but the main reason I use it is to fish an area more thoroughly than I could without it. I installed it myself and bought it from "shut up and fish". I bought the 8' model with the universal bracket, quick disconnect, and tilt bracket. Well worth the money if you can afford it. The tilt bracket will allow you to put it in any garage. I did not need it to fit my boat in my shop. It is only 3-4 inches higher than my motor. Can't think of any reasons besides price that someone would not want one.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CSK
I had never been on a boat with either the Talon or Power Poles until about 6 weeks ago. Before that I thought they were gimmicky and unnecessary. Now, what an excellent tool to have.
Agree with this. Never been on a boat with one til I took my annual trip with Tom Redington last year and couldn't believe how useful they are. Thought the same thing at least a dozen times in the boat with him this year. They're incredibly useful when fishing shallow water.

That being said, I could never justify it myself as a non-tournament angler with a wife and daughter. It's not even close really. $4000 in my daughter's college fund or two power poles?

Regardless, they're a no-brainer for serious tournament anglers and a really nice addition to the boat for any serious fisherman.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 04:57 PM

Just beach the boat and fish off the back bolt
Posted By: ETXHorseApple

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 05:57 PM

I made my own shallow water anchors. Similar to the one above but i made mine out of PVC pipe and some fittings. Works just as good and a LOT cheaper. Just some southern engineering.
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
I would have to raise the roof on the garage or build a new one so I could get it in

Check out this video for the answer to this problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeBYlY95AI

Posted By: timwins31

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/29/13 07:29 PM

If it isn't windy you don't really need two. But if it is windy and you have only one, you'll regret it.
Posted By: squib

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/30/13 02:07 AM

Ordered two Talons today. MinnKota is running a rebate through March 31.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Shallow water anchor - 03/30/13 12:24 PM

For sure the two when windy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum