Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Alan Henry??????

Posted By: LowSkeeter04

Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 04:44 AM

Headed to Alan Henry this weekend and never even seen it before. You guys got any info on how they've been biting? Not looking for any specific spots but maybe a few areas to key in on, what kind of cover is on the lake, any grass, etc. I've been told its a clear water lake and there's quite a bit of lumber but other than that don't know a whole lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just hoping the bites not near as tough as Ivie or its liable to be a looooong trip!

You can shoot me a pm or an email if that works better for you
darden.taylor@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,
Posted By: txninja

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 05:39 AM

Lots of cover; brush and rock. When you launch if you go left you'll be in clear water and if you go right it will get murkier the further you go. Lots of spotted bass in that lake. Tough lake but does hold some big fish. Good luck!
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 11:52 AM

Bite is pretty tough. I would fish for crappie (hint-hint)
Posted By: Toad Jerker

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 01:33 PM

HaHa good luck out there!! Out of 50 entries last weekend there was only one over weighed in which means out of 50 people he was the only guy that had 3 fish to weigh in. If I was you I wouldnt waste my time but I can tell you that if your gonna go fish middle to back of Big Grape, Little Grape and throw right into the middle of all the submerged trees that you can see I have had good luck with that. Well good luck and let me know how you do. Oh and for #'s throw a magic shad trick worm on a shakey head those spots there love em.
Posted By: Bodie

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 02:17 PM

what was the water temp while you was there last weekend im thinking of headed down there this weekend also

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 02:33 PM

Mid 40`s Fishing real hit and miss. Bud had 18+lbs 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday I fished with him and we had 0 bits where he caught his fish. I wish we had 50 people in the tournament. It payed 5 places and the winner had 2 overs. I have not weighed in a fish 3 months in a row but I am not conserned, my type of fishing is going to pick up. Do`nt like throwing big spoons, jerkbaits and cranks.

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 02:33 PM

I was actually at Amistad all last week but one of my buddies fished in that tourney and gave me the report but I can find out what it was if you need it.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 02:57 PM

google lake alan henry fishing report 2013, a couple of guides post reports.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 02:58 PM

Also, not sure about that far south, but we have 6-8 inches of sleet and snow forcast for tonite and it is supposed to get cold again. The wind just picked up big time in the last few minutes her and it is a cold north wind. Might stay home.
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 03:54 PM

don't go. if u are going to gamble on that trip I would wait until April. water is still cold!!
Posted By: LowSkeeter04

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info guys..... If I was just going by myself I'd have no hesitation on backing out but some guys that are pumped about going an kinda depending on me still wanna go so I guess I'll have to tough it out for em. Also any hazards to watch for on the lake? Any places to steer clear of? Also I've heard the lakes in a canyon type area, is the wind a big problem like it can be on Ivie??
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 06:12 PM

I we were there in august. Caught one 4lbr and a.few spots. Pretty lake and little. Never seen it rough, definately a canyon lake and nothing like ivie.. just have the cash in hand at the gate. Think it was like 24$ to get in the gate..
Posted By: squib

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 06:14 PM

Wind is not a problem. It may be aggravating, but it won't be dangerous if you are in a decent boat. Don't worry too much about hitting anything while running as long as you stay off the shoreline. There is a big rock at the end of the first long point back to the right of the boat ramp--but it is marked I believe. Just swing wide.

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 06:22 PM

Lake doesn't really get rough but the wind comes from every direction and is very irritating in my opinion if its blowing one direction and you go somewhere to get out of it the just plan on it coming from another direction in that spot because it just swirls they the canyon and like said above make sure u got ur money ready cause they want an arm and leg to enter the lake!! Lol
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 07:16 PM

The lake is down about 10', but ou can still launch with no problems, for quite some time (if we do nto get any rain). There is ALWAYS somewhere to get out of the wind, but it might be rough between windy points.

Good places to fish are mentioned. You might also try wood/brush/rocks on points. Rocks/brush along deep cliffs (luck with both LMB and Spots here). The trees in Big and Little Grape Creek. All mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 07:21 PM

Alan henry wallhangers

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 07:22 PM

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 07:24 PM

That pic is pretty much from one side of main lake to the other.. pretty small.. really small when the jet skis and pleasure boats hit it when the weather warms..

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/20/13 10:08 PM

Well Thad is right u can get away from the wind but u have to be so far at the back of a cut that u can't even fish and the lake does not get rough!!! I have been there in 28 mph winds and ur still only looking at about a 1' chop and if u fish Ivey or amistad or HC or RH then u will not think its rough. Also this time last year I killed em on slow rolling a soft body swim bait in both big and little grape from half way to the back of the creek even in the cold water but things have definately changed in the past year on that lake so may not work this year!! Either way have fun and if u can't get a big bite slow down size down and pitch the trees but pretty much if ur not getting hung up your not fishing the right stuff. Hope this helps and that's the last of my 2 cents.

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/21/13 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: STEVE B
Alan henry wallhangers
That top hook looks like you had another one for a little bit. Straightened.

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 02/21/13 12:50 PM

Best I can tell fishing has been pretty tough everywhere. Anywhere you have enough water to fish, that is. Then you can spend the money to go to Amistad like a bud of mine. He has been their since late Sunday and has been able to fish about 3 hours wind and rain. If you go to A. H. very much at all, you are way ahead purchasing an annual pass.
Posted By: Git' Bit18

Re: Lake Alan Henry?????? - 03/02/15 06:48 PM

Has anyone had any recent luck out here? With the weather being cold I'm sure not very many people have been out on the lake. Also does anyone know how to even get in the general area of the small mouth in this lake!

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum