Texas Fishing Forum

FX vs. I-Class?

Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

FX vs. I-Class? - 01/10/13 10:06 PM

What are the differences in the 2? I heard the Fx is a faster hull design, but what else?
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/10/13 11:21 PM

Smoothness of ride. The I-class is a much better rough water ride than the FX.
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/10/13 11:24 PM

As I was told on a demo ride by Skeeter staff, FX is the Corvette and I-class is the Cadillac. Depends on what kinda ride you want across the lake. He said a I-class with the SHO is the best of both worlds.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/10/13 11:25 PM

I'll be happy fishing out of either next tourney! smile
Posted By: Skeet29

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 01:13 AM

I was told by dealer the new zx is fastest, I class has the best ride, and fx is in between the two in terms of speed and ride!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 01:24 AM

Having owned all three, my opinion is this...

ZX to IClass

is what IClass is to FX

is what FX is to...

My last FX with 250 SHO was the "softest" riding, fastest accelerating, highest top-end speed fishing boat of all my Skeeters (5 or 6).

Previous to that was an '08 IClass with 250 HPDI and I'm pretty sure someone is still enjoying that ride, as we speak.

I will agree that the present ZX20 with a 250 SHO is the fastest of the lineup, tho.

BTW, none of the buoys on Fork are safe. I'm about to be in a 2012 FX/SHO combo. See ya'll on the Forktress after deer season (2/28/13).
Posted By: Skeet29

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 02:36 AM

I run a FX21/SHO and no complaints. I had a Champion before this one so I can speak to what a good riding rough water boat feels like.

I have never ridden in an IClass so I can't go off anything other than what I have heard..IMO the FX is a better looking boat! design, consoles..etc

Agreed..speed, acceleration, and a good ride are all there on the FX.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 02:39 AM

I was in an I-class all day today and have an fx in my garage. There is not a huge difference in either. I have not been in the new zx but the older ones were more than capable. To the OP test all of them and decide which one you like the most.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Smoothness of ride. The I-class is a much better rough water ride than the FX.

Yes. i class is a heavier boat.
Posted By: James Henderson

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 05:30 AM

Each boat stands on its on, they each have different features to suit different fishermen.
The ZX boats have had modifications over the years and are not the same as days gone by. The ZX was designed for serious bass fishermen and has been the flagship of Skeeter for some time. The I class was designed for those wanting more comfort, it has the largest deck area of any skeeter ever produced. It also has the largest cockpit area, allowing you to actually walk behind the console and sit down with ample knee room. You do not have to sit down in the middle and slide over to the steering wheel. The I class is also heavier than its cousins with weight specs comparable to well known competitor boats. The hulls of all 3 are different designed with the performance requirements of each boat in mind. The ZX has a 20 degree V with a 45 degree entry V, the FX has a 23.5 degree V with a 48 degree entry V, the I class has a 22 degree V. The FX was the first in the industry with co-engineered hull and SHO power plant design. The hull also has accu edge strakes & chines (basically the bottom of the boat is super tuned). The FX and the ZX both get on pad fast and have excellent acceleration were as the I class is a little slower on take off.

With that said, they are all "engineered like no other" and are all great boats. After having spoke with the factory rep I know the preference for guys fishing bigger water is for the I class. the Fx can handle big water and get to point a to point b in big water faster than the I class but the ride in the I class, though slower, is more comfortable. The ZX is still a top of the line work horse in its on right.

All Skeeters do have things in common that make them stand out from the competition. Bottom line they each have their own niche in the market. I hope this helps, I have tried to be impartial in my comparison. Their are a lot more differences that I have failed to mention such as asthetics, lay out of deck and consoles, etc but these are the primary differences where the rubber meets the road.
Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

BTW, none of the buoys on Fork are safe. I'm about to be in a 2012 FX/SHO combo. See ya'll on the Forktress after deer season (2/28/13).

it's cool. I'll drive. for the buoys' sake, of course. Save the buoys.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 02:32 PM

Excellent explanation Mr. Henderson!
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Excellent explanation Mr. Henderson!

+1

Wax on, Mr Henderson....wax on....now I want to go purchase a Skeeter..
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 04:46 PM

Great report James. Hit it on the head. Now, if I can just remember all of that. With small difference in hulls and such. Pricing changes also. It is sort of like a car on the options. You go up from a SLT (ZX) to a Limited (I class), to a Platinum (FX). Lots of options. I have the ZX right now. One major difference I have seen in the ZX and I class is the leg room on the I class is much greater. I am 6'4" and I struggle in the ZX for leg room under the console. I know the older I class had more leg room, I will be checking the newer ones to see if it is the same. That is my next purchase, if not a FX.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 05:24 PM

I am a basscat guy now and always will be but my last boat was a 2000 zx 195 and that was a great boat and a very stable fishing platform. Buddy has Lance Vick's FX boat and it is one fine boat. Guess my point is you can't go wrong with either of their models.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 07:14 PM

I personally thought my 2008 20i was the best riding boat I have owned to date. About the only negative I could think of was the cooler not keeping ice well but that is something that was addressed by Skeeter recently. The rest of the boat was nothing but great. I think with the iClass you get the best of both worlds. Incredible fishability along with great performance. The ride is very nice too.
Posted By: ZeroHour

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 07:38 PM

I hae an 08 I and agree it is the best running skeeter I have ever been in. That stated I have a ton of money and time into my setup.

I HATE the console setup in the FX and it is the ONLY reason I am not running one. I could have upgraded persay 2 years ago and have been offered 2 deals to run one. I just cant justify it I dont fish enough right now to buy a new one anyway.

The I class can run if you put the time and money into it. That stated that same time and money in an FX or the new ZX will make ya faster.

I fished the last champs on Falcon alone and hit 77.6 with a bent prop shaft. Before having the wheel custom done and the hydraulic plate and a ton of weight balance trials it was a 70-72 boat. One thing I will say is this thing is EXTREMELY weight and balance sensitive to get it to where you want it. Im talking MINIMAL things really seem to effect this boat.

I will also say that this is the 3rd I class I have had and the first 2 were no where near this fast. I think I have a lucky layup and a good motor this time. The first 2 I could never make run over 74.

If you are ever out this way ill gladly let ya run mine. And anyone asking or calling me a liar A. I dont care and B. I run the black and yellow I class from champs south..I passed a few of ya and 4 of you asked if I had a phase kit.
Posted By: silverZX225

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 08:12 PM

After runnning 'Bugs' with a Yammy for 19+ years...
ALL R GOOD, not a bad ride in the brand
My 09 ZX225 is the best

DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ddantidwell

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ZeroHour
I hae an 08 I and agree it is the best running skeeter I have ever been in. That stated I have a ton of money and time into my setup.

I HATE the console setup in the FX and it is the ONLY reason I am not running one. I could have upgraded persay 2 years ago and have been offered 2 deals to run one. I just cant justify it I dont fish enough right now to buy a new one anyway.

The I class can run if you put the time and money into it. That stated that same time and money in an FX or the new ZX will make ya faster.

I fished the last champs on Falcon alone and hit 77.6 with a bent prop shaft. Before having the wheel custom done and the hydraulic plate and a ton of weight balance trials it was a 70-72 boat. One thing I will say is this thing is EXTREMELY weight and balance sensitive to get it to where you want it. Im talking MINIMAL things really seem to effect this boat.

I will also say that this is the 3rd I class I have had and the first 2 were no where near this fast. I think I have a lucky layup and a good motor this time. The first 2 I could never make run over 74.

If you are ever out this way ill gladly let ya run mine. And anyone asking or calling me a liar A. I dont care and B. I run the black and yellow I class from champs south..I passed a few of ya and 4 of you asked if I had a phase kit.

Im not calling you a liar, BUT if you can run 77.6 with a bent prop shaft then you should be able to run faster now. Im sure there are alot of people that would love to see a video of you running at least that fast. And if you can then we would like to know what wheel you are turning and who done the work on it.

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 09:39 PM

I have a hydromotive quad IV worked to about a 26 maybe a pinch over with custom venting. I dont run 9000 tons of gear either. I am down to about 13 plano boxes and maybe 12 rods. I have no reason to lie its just a damn boat and I dont much care anymore how fast it is. It mattered to me when I was fishing the opens and stuff when I lived in colorado since the altitude killed me.

Ill see what I can do next time I get out I dont mind sharing the set up info like I said this one is a freak compared to the others I have. I miswrote that bent prop shaft deal that was PRIOR to bending my shaft at that tournament. I was writing on a phone and lost some text I see.

If I can get a vid next time im out I will but my close lakes are dunlap and the such and I aint running fast on that little body of water.

And go ahead and run the numbers if ya like slip is around 10-12%

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 09:46 PM

oh and Dons Prop shop in clayton ny did this not sure if they still exist or not. The prop was bought in an emergency and was mostly done when I got it. He worked the venting a bit for me as its kind an odd job. I dont know how to post pics on here or id snap some of the wheel

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 09:50 PM

Thats moving for an iclass. I have heard lots of good things about the hydomotive. It would be awesome to see the video.
Posted By: coyotebass

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 10:46 PM

I own a ZX and it is very smooth. also pulls down the road and hardly know its there
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/11/13 11:59 PM

I have had both and to me the i-class is the better all around boat by a lot- speed is not an issue except to a few for whatever reason, but fish ability and rough water ride is to most- it is a lot better in the i- class- the fx is a modified zx 250 where as the i boat is a breed of it's own
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/13/13 03:35 PM

77 mph I class...yea right

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 03:08 AM

I have had my 21 I up to 92... But i'm running a 300hp. I had trouble catching air with the prop on heavy load in the boat so I hanged props to compensate. Now 77-78 is top speed.

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: James Henderson
I have had my 21 I up to 92... But i'm running a 300hp. I had trouble catching air with the prop on heavy load in the boat so I hanged props to compensate. Now 77-78 is top speed.
. 92 mph? Come on now... Who are are you fooling? It would take two 300's to run 92 in an I class..

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 06:59 AM

No reason for me to fool anybody. Sorry you doubt me.

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 03:18 PM

LOL!!! that is some funny stuff right there. you better watch out cause at 92 that will be a hefty ticket going down the highway. sir you are totally mislead!!!! and you will struggle to get to 77-78 loaded with that set-up. the 300 is not any faster than the 250. i ran right by one at 78.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 03:39 PM

Too much nagging going here. Get back to my original topic. Stop calling people liars about their speed, all I'm wanting to know is the differences in the two for fishing purposes.

If all I cared about was speed I wouldn't get a bass boat.
Posted By: -Shawn-

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ddantidwell
LOL!!! that is some funny stuff right there. you better watch out cause at 92 that will be a hefty ticket going down the highway. sir you are totally mislead!!!! and you will struggle to get to 77-78 loaded with that set-up. the 300 is not any faster than the 250. i ran right by one at 78.

Actually yes the 300 can be faster because it can turn a bigger prop. if you ran right by one then it wasn't turning as big a prop as you were or it was set up wrong.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: -Shawn-

Actually yes the 300 can be faster because it can turn a bigger prop. if you ran right by one then it wasn't turning as big a prop as you were or it was set up wrong.

Or he was in a gambler, and they were not
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ZeroHour

.I passed a few of ya and 4 of you asked if I had a phase kit.

hpdi 300?? what's the stock rev limiter on that boat??

gear ratio is 1.87 right?

10% slip, which would be awesome for that boat with a 26 is 6600+ rpm...

12% slip is almost 6800...

if that motor has 1.75's it's 6400 for 12% and 6200 for 10,

that's set-up good and rollin for one of those boats.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: James Henderson

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: -Shawn-

There is No currently manufactured Skeeter with any brand 300 hp Outboard that will outrun that Gambler. Tidewells father has an I class, so he is fully aware of what they will run. Skeeter's are a nice boat and I like them but it will not run 92...that's just [censored].

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 08:42 PM

77 unloaded in one of those boats would be fast.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane
77 unloaded in one of those boats would fast.

Agree with that I'm running my blazer that weighs 1100 lbs pushing 240 horse and am only running 80

Re: FX vs. I-Class? - 01/14/13 09:37 PM

I dont doubt the ZeroHour down south can run 77 in his 20i. I know first hand it can be done. He stated it with a bent prop shaft, but corrected it. If he is running light then 77 is achievable. I took everything out of my dads 2006 20i with 1/8 tank of gas and hit 77.8 gps. But seriously, you would think that a GUIDE would know better than to post some stupid number like that. I dont care what prop he was running. And No he cannot run 78 loaded. Its a bunch of Horse [censored]. As for the 300 being faster than the 250. The 300 has more low-end torque and mid-range punch but on the top end there is little if ANY difference between the two.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum