Texas Fishing Forum

Buying a complete drop shot rig..........

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 03:10 AM

The Lord keeps blesing me inspite of myself so sometime in the future I'll be able to get back on the water. When I left drop shotting hadn't even come to the fore front. I have always been a big fan of finesse fishing and I think drop shotting would be a good fit. I'd like to ask you guys what you use, rods, reels, lines, lures, and presentations etc. I want to buy a drop shot rig for my birthday and I will be looking at tournament level gear........

Posted By: spooker

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 03:48 AM

If money is not an issue I would take a look at the Megabass Aaron Martens drop shot rod.

I have played with that rod and it is awesome, I just can't afford it. It looks funny at first because the way they put the guides on

Posted By: elite1cal

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 04:04 AM

Denali Jadewood Drop Shot 6'6" M, Shimano Stradic, Seagar Invix, Fluocarbon 8lb, any finess 4"-6" worm (Zipper, Zoom, Big-Bite).

Mostly used in deep water 20+, but,can also be used to fish beside boat-docks or steep drop-offs.

Posted By: Crash DeVerle

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 05:55 AM

My set-up: Dobyns 702C SF and a Stradic CI4 3000F with 20# Power Pro backing and 10# InvisX leader. I read a lot of differences in opinion, but this is what I've developed confidence in.

Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 07:07 AM

For reels I’d go with either a Daiwa in the 150 dollar range, or a Shimano Stradic.

For a rod I would go with a St. Croix Legend Elite LES76MLXF if your wallet can stand it, or an Avid AVS76MLXF if your wallet in to thin for the former.

TFP

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by elite1cal
Denali Jadewood Drop Shot 6'6" M, Shimano Stradic, Seagar Invix, Fluocarbon 8lb, any finess 4"-6" worm (Zipper, Zoom, Big-Bite).

Mostly used in deep water 20+, but,can also be used to fish beside boat-docks or steep drop-offs.

+1 all above, stump pitching too. drop shot isn't just for deep and small fish, many of the DD fish on Fork this Spring were on drop shot.

Posted By: bwj

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 05:51 PM

Nice video. What camera was being used for this video?
Thanks

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 07:14 PM

That video is awesome, it reminds me of my days on Fork finesse fishing and when I used to pluck fish from the cypress tree roots at home. The biggest thing I ever caught was about 8 pounds but I did it on 8 pound mono, BPS Excel line.......
THe info on the drop shot gear is just what I am looking for. If you read this and have more info you want to share, please chime in......

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bwj
Nice video. What camera was being used for this video?
Thanks

Contour HD - I like for fishing because on hat fits better and wide angle vs. Go Pro.

Posted By: bwj

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 10:33 PM

Rob:
Thanks for the info about the camera. As soon as I posted my question, I realized that I had asked you that question before. I ended up getting a Sports-Vue 360 that I really like. When I have a video worth posting I will do so. I will remember next time and not ask the question again.

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bwj
Rob:
Thanks for the info about the camera. As soon as I posted my question, I realized that I had asked you that question before. I ended up getting a Sports-Vue 360 that I really like. When I have a video worth posting I will do so. I will remember next time and not ask the question again.

cool, first time I've heard of the Sports-Vue. I was thinking about a Go Pro for hunting because not wide angle like the Contour. My 10 yard bow shots look like 25 yards! smile

Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/08/12 11:39 PM

Kistler Micro Helium LTA 7'0" Drop Shot Finesse, Shimano Stradic CI4, 20# Sufix 832 or Spiderwire Ultracast Ultimate, swivel, 8-12# leader.

Same with a Kistler Z-bone ZBLE2M or ZBLE3MH 7' or 7'3" if need heavier rod.

Kistler has sale now, buy a Z-bone, get a free Helium. Good deal, but ends 7-8(tonight).

Posted By: blkrubi05

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/09/12 12:59 AM

Dobyns 702 SF, Falcon Volt, 20# braid, 10# flouro leader

Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/09/12 01:45 AM

Duckett 7.0m Casting or 7.0m spinning....shimano sahara 2500 for spinning or Daiwa zillion 7.1 for baitcaster....our very own spin n rig drop shot rig and 20# braid on either reel or 12# fluoro...ive heard mono works good too.

Posted By: N-M-W

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/09/12 02:40 AM

Ill take my Shimano Sustain spooled with 10lb Seaguar invisx and my G Loomis GLX DSR 820 S with riveratackle.net spin n rig with a Chompers 4" drop shot worm in watermelon red.....DEADLY.

Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Buying a complete drop shot rig.......... - 07/09/12 05:57 AM

G.Loomis 820 or 822C....both casting versions paired with a Revo STX or Premier spooled with 12 lb InvizX, a River A Tackle Spin N Rig hook and a 3/16 or 1/4 oz DS weight. As for plastics....Grande Bass Baby Rattlesnake, Zoom Finesse worm, or Roboworm 6" straight tail.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum