Texas Fishing Forum

Why do shad jump out of the water?

Posted By: jadler

Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:36 AM

I ask because the lakes I've been familiar with in the past, if I threw a spoon (or anything for that matter), I was certain to catch a fish. I was told, back then, it was fish circle the shad and then attacking them. Today, shad went crazy for about an hour in the same area and couldn't get any variation of bass to the boat, seemed like they were jumping for no reason and not as tight of a group as what I'm used too. A short time later, I had some luck, although very little, with catfish. I was orignally searching for LM. Thanks in advance for the education on the subject.

Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:40 AM

because shad are stupid!! from what I've heard, they taste like molded rubber, they're extremely slimy, and they stank!!

But hey they work for bait!!

I don't think it's the same as carp jumping at running dams..

Posted By: big fish2

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:48 AM

OK tell us what lake your talking about???

Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: big fish2
OK tell us what lake your talking about???
Originally Posted By: DaBankFishamen
because shad are stupid!! from what I've heard, they taste like molded rubber, they're extremely slimy, and they stank!!

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:59 AM

Stillhouse Hollow

Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 06:02 AM

Ok that makes sense now
Originally Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 06:11 AM

happy shad

Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 03:57 PM

The only time I've seen shad jump out of the water is when someone is trying to eat them. Seems like reasonable behavior to me

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 04:46 PM

lots of fish eat shad.

could have very well been any number of predators chasing them.

sometimes, when they are eating shad like that, you have to really get close to the size and color that the shad are sometimes not to catch them.

try and match the hatch as close as you can and you should be able to catch one of whats eating them, a silver or white road runner works well for this at times.

Posted By: hawkfan17

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 04:52 PM

Jaws is about to put the munch on em

Posted By: Crankjig&drag

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 04:55 PM

If something's trying to eat me I wouldnt just sit there. What would you do?

Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:22 PM

It may have been a school of Circus Shad.

Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:35 PM

Gizzard shad are bad about slapping the water. I have no idea why.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 05:42 PM

...because the HydroWave was on.

Posted By: T Bird

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 06:10 PM

To check out all the "hot babes" in the boats!

Posted By: Bassinamped

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 07:15 PM

ive heard people say that they maybe do it to clean out there gills or something like that

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
To check out all the "hot babes" in the boats!

Must have been females shad...

Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 08:09 PM

I believe that at times shad kinda flicker'in the top of the water maybe feeding and not running from bigger fish.Now when they are jumping for thier lives,and you see fish blowing up on them "It's ON!!"

Posted By: OLDARMY1

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 08:52 PM

Also, shad can scare themselves. If they are balled up or moving in a big school all it takes is for one to react to anything and the whole school can go nuts for a second.

Posted By: dbraune

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/03/12 08:53 PM

At night on belton. Any time you would here a BOOM from the base, we would have so many jumping they would land in the boat.

Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/04/12 07:26 PM

You must've turned on your Hydrowave and not known it! rolfmao rolfmao

Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/04/12 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
...because the HydroWave was on.

I was about to say the same thing.

Posted By: manny_G_77

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/04/12 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Tony Clark
I believe that at times shad kinda flicker'in the top of the water maybe feeding and not running from bigger fish.Now when they are jumping for thier lives,and you see fish blowing up on them "It's ON!!"

I agree, if they are leaping out of the water something is after them. I've seen it happen as they travel over a hump. they seemed to get to a certain spot and something would explode on them and a couple would fly over a yard out of the water. every once in a while we would see a bass behind them. I wasn't too successful at getting the bass. I've been wanting to try an Alabama rig in that spot but those things seems like they are more of a hassle then what they are worth.

Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/04/12 08:33 PM

If they are just flopping around, chances are there's nothing causing it, why bring unecassary attention if your a defenseless little shad...now if they are skittering across the top in short bursts..they are running from something

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/05/12 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: manny_G_77
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Tony Clark

I agree, if they are leaping out of the water something is after them. I've seen it happen as they travel over a hump. they seemed to get to a certain spot and something would explode on them and a couple would fly over a yard out of the water. every once in a while we would see a bass behind them. I wasn't too successful at getting the bass. I've been wanting to try an Alabama rig in that spot but those things seems like they are more of a hassle then what they are worth.

Not sure if serious......

Posted By: tb1107

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/05/12 01:52 AM

Predator chasing them is most likely.

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/05/12 03:18 AM

Too much hype about shad jumping out h2o , now if the water is boiling with what appears to be a feeding frenzy that's different.

Posted By: timwins31

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/05/12 03:21 AM

Yea I don't really care if I see shad busting unless there is obviously something larger trying to eat them. Sometimes running a white spinner bait below them will pick a few fish off.

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Why do shad jump out of the water? - 06/05/12 03:22 AM

Shad are at the bottom of the food chain and are eaten by pretty much anything that swims, jumps or flys. It is for this reason that they are by nature skittish as he77. As stated before they will freak out themselves while schooling weather they are being targeted or not. You would be jumpy too if everybody was after your azz.

If you spend enough time on the water, sooner or later you'll see a school of shad running the bank trying to escape from preditor fish and depending on the size of the school it can be quite the site to see.

Every member of the sunfish family has figured out how to do this and that the pickins are pretty easy if you can herd them into the bank and choke them off from escape. Things sure do start getting interesting when the water starts to boil.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum