Texas Fishing Forum

Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique

Posted By: BIRD FLIPPIN

Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 04:49 PM

I figure if all the good bass fisherman here on TFF all posted one of their best tips pertaining to a favored technique, we could all learn and get better.

IF YOU CONTINUE READING DOWN TFF'ERS, YOU SHOULD FEEL OBLIGATED TO MAKE A POST . . OVER 100 VIEWS WITH ONLY 4 POSTS . . THIS SHOULD BE A TEAM EFFORT GUYS - EDIT

For me last year, I was really working on 2 techniques:

1) Crankbaits: Everytime I caught bigger fish on these, i was pulling them down a point or drop off bouncing off the bottom until I hit a channel or a ditch and thats where some bigger bites came from, or hitting structure on my targeted lanes i.e.: brush pile, stump, rocks

2) Senkos and flukes, especially in grass: Most of the time, I have gotten many more bites slowing down once i find the fish and really making the presentation too tantalizing for a bass to say no. . i feel i fished these too fast in the past (every now and then they like a faster fluke retrieve) but overall slowing down has been more productive

Posted By: Joe Angler

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 05:13 PM

For bass I always start with the good ol' zoom plastic worm in watermelon seed green. On days when they're extremely active, I'll throw a fast action crankbait or spinner/buzzbait. On slower days especially in clear water, I'll take it down a notch and try jointed crankbaits, or some slow jigging with a football jig or tube. With topwater structure, I'll throw frogs, poppers and jitterbugs. Any rocky areas or rip rap usually get a crawdad imitation, gets them every time.

All (well, a good amount) of my other fishing knowledge is on my website.

Posted By: JPost

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 05:13 PM

Most of my best success has been with techniques I learned from someone else. But this one I came-up with on my own out of necessity.

I was throwing a Spro Frog on grass mats. The mats had been getting pounded so I wasn't getting any bites near the edge. I started throwing way back where I doubt anyone had been fishing. I started getting hammered back on these long casts but my problem was I couldn't get them out of all the slop in-between them and my boat. The few I did get through got so tangled-up in the salad they couldn't fight so I ended-up just dragging them back on top of the mat. So what I started doing was as soon as I got bit and set the hook I'd let them dive and fight all they wanted. I didn't reel and just kept the line as taught as possible. In almost all cases the fish would stop fighting and I could just drag it in without a fight.

Posted By: TTU_fisherman

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 05:40 PM

Good idea. A lot of people might not share because they dont want to give away their advantage or their secret, but here it goes.

Mine are solely related to big fish as that is what I tend to focus on.

#1 Fish deeper and slower. Bigger fish tend to stay deep most of the year and they tend to feed on easy (slow) prey.

#2 Check your line and your drag often. When your line snaps or you dont stick a fish, its too late to fix it then. One of the best ways to do this is to pitch your bait to the back of the boat and have your partner step on it (and put some body weight on that foot). If you trust them enough, set the hook hard and make sure the line doesnt snap and the drag slips correctly. If all went well, go right back to fishing. It only takes 5 seconds.

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 05:41 PM

I dont know if this is good advice or not lol... but I use a 3/0 hook for everything even 10" worms to me I feel it allows the worm to have more action... some will say the hook needs to be bigger because they may only bite the tail... but after watching how fish react when they actually bite I dont think I have seen a video where they dont suck up the entire bait... only time I have this happen is when they move it off a bed...

Re tie your hooks often... I re tie after about every 3 fish or so just to make sure that knot is not going to cause me to lose a fish...

Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 05:57 PM

fish slow
check and retie often
dont' be afraid to try something or do something unorthodox (out of the box) regardless what everyone else says or does

Posted By: NoCoolNameToo

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:04 PM

Winter time jig, throw it out let it set for a few minutes twitch and repeat.

Posted By: biggastaar

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:04 PM

I like to fish with topwater plugs as aoften as possible which usally for me is most benefitical in calm morning or afternoons right before sunrise or set. I am from south Florida orignally and we are very big on torpedos by hennon. i like to take the baby Torpedo in Clear and paint the eyes yellow. Throw out about 6" from a topwater grass bed or from the lillies and let it sit till the ripples from the landing are gone. Then slowley twitch it back in a pattern of 4 twitch : 3 sec pauses and your sure to ge the attention of a hog!!!!!

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:08 PM

Shakey Head Plastics- If you want some floating action (ala- Kickerfish Hightail Holeshot) out of the Salt laiden Plastics, get a small peice of metal tubing (Copper, Brass, etc.) and ream holes through the Tail, mid-section, where ever you want. The holes you make will trap air and make your plastic float more and give a nice action. Good thread Arky Jay- Lets hope this one stays busy!

Posted By: 09Skeeter21i

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:13 PM

slowwwwwwwwwwwwww dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Fishingbw

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:14 PM

Here is a boat positioning tip to try that works best after post spawn or later in the summer. Position your boat over the top of grassy points and cast out to the end of the point and retrieve your lures toward the grass. Quietly put your boat into position using the trolling motor and approach from the side of the point (perpendicular to the point). I feel like I am hiding the boat over the top of the grass and giving the fish a different perspective.

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 09Skeeter21i

Yeah, simply put, this has made the biggest improvement in my fishing than anything else -- no doubt.

Posted By: charlie60

Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:23 PM

Which is the most important: Figuring out the spot, or what to do at your location. This is my thinking, fish have small brains so, they aren't too hard to catch. So I keep moving until I get bites. But then there are others that want to make it happen at there location and almost refuse to change. Which is the best when trying to locate fish?

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie60
Witch is the most important: Figuring out the spot, what to do at your location? Or. Where the bass are located, finding the spot. This is my thinking, fish are not too smart and have small brains. So they aren't too hard to catch. So I keep moving until I get bites. But then there are others that want to make it happen at there location and almost refuse to change. Which is the best when trying to locate fish?

Most pros talk a lot about adapting to spots that they pre fished well, but shut down during tournaments, they generally are within 100yards of where you found em. . one thing I've learned being a biology major and studying ecology etc. is this basis: Animals want to spend the least amount of energy gathering the most amount of food, without being eaten themselves and successfully reproducing . .

So people that win tournaments generally isn't the bait as much as it is they are in the right spot(s) with a proper presentation to that spot where the fish are comfortable

so i guess to your question, pre fishing is very important . . if you find one big fish shallow, its probably a really good piece of structure that holds 1-2 good fish, then you have to find the next good piece similar down the bank.
if your deep, that one good piece of structure may hold 3-5 good fish and has a better chance at replenishing due to bigger fish move in deeper water. . so you need to compile both bites before a tournament in pre fishing, find similar patterns to fish during the tournament, and hope your boat is faster than the other guys who figured this out as well

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie60
Which is the most important: Figuring out the spot, or what to do at your location. This is my thinking, fish have small brains so, they aren't too hard to catch. So I keep moving until I get bites. But then there are others that want to make it happen at there location and almost refuse to change. Which is the best when trying to locate fish?

It all depends. If you're fishing a tournament and are in a time crunch you probably need to move around a lot and locate active, feeding fish. But if not, it's probably better to find a good spot, good structure and a lot of forage, and fish it until fish get active. I don't know how many times I've been fishing a spot with not a bite only to fish it later and get hammered.

If you find a really good spot chances are good fish are going to use it to feed sometime during the day -- you just have to be there when they're turned on. If you're really in tune with the lake you'll probably know when the dinner bell goes off, if not you might have to wait.

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JPost

Yeah, simply put, this has made the biggest improvement in my fishing than anything else -- no doubt.

+1000

Trust your insticts. If you are fishing an area you know are holding fish then fish that area thoroughly. If the bite is tough then slow down and make repeated casts, I have worked a single piece of cover for over an hour before the fish I knew were there would bite before moving on.

I have been fishing with my partner (Mr Backlash) for about 30 years now and it used to drive him crazy how he would think it was time for me to move on because he thought I was fishing too slowly. He is pretty much over that now and sometimes helps me to get myself in check and re-focused. This dosent mean you should waist a whole morning on an unproductive area, just make sure that you havent left anything behind before you pull the TM up.

Posted By: RangerCrawford

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:40 PM

Great idea for a post

1. when checking your line for abrasions run it through your lips as opposed to your fingers - much more sensive than calloused finger tips

2. When buying a new rod make your wife/girlfriend put her throat to the rod tip and hum.....you can really tell the difference in sensitivity thus feel more fish....if your girlfriend does this in the middle of the store for you, marry her immediately....if your wife doesn't - think about getting another - see above.

3. echo the ideas of fishing slow. especially after you feel your soft plastic pull out of brush/weeds.....just let it set a minute and watch your line....put in a dip, have a drink of soda whatever, then raise your rod tip slowly to test....if you feel even the slightest weight set the hook. All my biggest fish on plastics have come this way.

4. When in doubt set the hook...its free, and even if someone give you crud about it, its worth that one big fish...I have pulled slowly off a "tree" a couple of times only to have the rod almost jerked from my hands...always wondered how big those fish must have been

This will be an interesting thread

Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:42 PM

Tip of the day !..."get stoned"...LOL, what I mean by that is get a good hook hone - I like the Eagle Claw hook honing stone you can buy at Dick's for about a buck...as already mentioned check your line for nick's often and re-tie frequently and keep the hook sharp and you will land more fish guaranteed...

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 06:46 PM

This will definitely be beneficial to all readers. . Thanks for the props on the good thread idea guys, it just came to me when i was reading another thread and someone chimed in on their thoughts of a lure and i thought, what if all of TFF posted some of their best tips over the years that they have learned. .

Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 07:28 PM

in the fall and spring i like to fish a dinger the same way i would a suspending jerk bait. throw it and let it sit for a few seconds then 3 quick fairly violent twitches and let it sit for 3-8 seconds (play with pause length til they tell you how long) then 3 more twitches. tx rig on a weightless 4/0 or 5/0 ewg hook. favorite color is watermelon red flake of course with about an inch or so of chartreuse spike-it on the tail. for this technique the yum dingers work best for me cause they have a better action and move side to side more than the stick baits out there, almost an underwater walk the dog action. check it out, good luck, and great thread

Posted By: coolplay32

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 07:34 PM

Slow down. Even your traps, spinnerbaits and crankbaits. This is widely known , but I know when fishing plastics, use the lightest weight you can get away with.

Posted By: woolybugger1

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 07:42 PM

After you catcha nice fish...kiss her on the lips, then watch her swim away, then look up at the awesomeness surrounding you, say thanks, and get yourself right back out there in it.
Oh, and i discovered a split shot rigged fluke kicks a$$ in the grass.

Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 08:00 PM

What's not there at 9am,.........might be there in numbers at 1pm. I don't like to give up after just one pass through an area, especially one that has produced for you in the past.

I don't fish enough to do this but if I were to become more of a "regular", I would rely heavily on documenting every trip, good or bad (temps, clarity, pressure, lures, etc.) Recognizing tendencies can certainly maximize your efforts in more "likely" spots.

Posted By: ftabangler13

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 08:31 PM

Cut the front hook on the front treble off of your squarebills. You'll get hung up less, they go through vegetation easier, and you wont see a big difference in your hook-up ratio.

Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 08:37 PM

This is a good thread.
Wet your knots.
slow down.
Re tie often.
Imo use the lightest weight that you can in the situation your in.
Hook sets are free.
don't snap hook set with flouro.
Don't cast onto someones dock.
Spool your string on with the proper spool orientafion I.e. baitcast with the spool where it can roll(if the spool rolls toward you when winding string your doing it right) and on spinning reels tilt it on the side and match it up with the direction your reel puts on string.
re tie often.

Dont be a douche bag to people.

Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 08:38 PM

always done good with fluke and watermelon worms, sometimes a good jerk bait depending on clarity and time of year.

Posted By: KSalcedo222

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/27/12 08:38 PM

I second this. I know since i love Crankbaits and spinnerbaits so much after i put that down and grab a slower presentation bait i always catch myself still chucking and winding even though i should be simply letting it set and twitching. Sometimes just the water movement alone provides the perfect amount of action to a bait aswell.

Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 08:47 PM

BUY LOW-SELL HIGH

Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 09:23 PM

Bigger bait=Bigger bass is a myth. All it does is eliminate the smaller fish. Big bass will eat very small prey.

And most use line and rods that are too heavy.

I have 2 double digit fish, numerous 6/8/9, and countless 3/4/5s. I don't have anything heavier than 10lb test. (except a jig rod for flipping into very heavy cover-which I've yet even catch a fish on). All of the largest fish have come on 6 or 8 lb. test.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 10:04 PM

I think the most important thing is detailing great days on the water date weather conditions location bait everything. don't keep a log of bad days, its counter productive IMO.

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 10:19 PM

In the hottest still months, like the dog days of august. try out this trick
Get a pop-r and find a shady bank with lots of overhanging cover

Flip the lure up under the overhanging cover providing the shade and let it set until all of the ripples go away, barely twitch every now and then.
By now curious brim and other small fishes will start pecking at the feather on the back hook. This is good, this is what actually attracts the big bass.

The large , lathargic bass resting in the shade won't be able to resist that brim and what ever it's messin with for two long and will swim up under and swallow both!!!

Good luck and good fishing!!

Posted By: craigfish

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 10:20 PM

Even when fishing shallow concentrate on areas with deep water very close. Me & my fishing partner have been talking about this a lot lately. Lost our 1 big fish Tues. in like a foot of water, but the deepest water within 100 yards was just a few feet away.

Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 11:20 PM

Cool thread
thanks for the tips guys.

1--My best hds/structure scan is my eyes-You can tell a lot just by looking-whether they are on beds are not.
2--Sometimes a giant bedding female will bite right at dusk--It is worth it to sneak up and try one more time then- even if she never would take a bait all day.

Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/27/12 11:32 PM

Since I'm retiring in the near future....for deep water fishing drop shot & shaky heads, get some glow in the dark beads and put one or two above the hook. Works good in low light conditions.

Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 02:15 AM

When you feel your crankbait hit the bottom or structure pause it then slowly sweep your rod to the side then take it back to where you started and reel up the slack and then slowly sweep it again, I will do this all the wayback to the boat. I try to keep it bumping the bottom between pauses. I learned this from a good friend awhile back. He was catching 3-1 over me with the same bait. Finally after watching him I asked and he explained it. My bites went way up. 90% of my bites come on the pause. It dosent always work better but ther are definitely times the fish want it this way.

The other thing I like to do is fishing a jig I throw up next to a stump and just shake my jig. Almost like you would slowly fish a shaky head. I may not move it 6" in 30 seconds, this can be very effective, especially in the hot summer.

Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/28/12 05:37 AM

I posted this before but a thin film of silicone on your cranks……helps hold scent….alters the sound a little…..and most of all gives that crank a more natural feeling!
thumb

Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/28/12 05:53 AM

BIGGEST secret in the business. Try to present something just a LITTLE DIFFERENT than everyone else is throwing. CBs, take some nail polish and paint some lines on it, SBs, add some more strands, take away some strands, or bend the blades a little bit. These subtle differences get noticed by the fish. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Posted By: TtownBassDude

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/28/12 06:06 AM

I don't fish many high pressured lakes but the biggest improvements for me is making the decision to either A. Cover water and fish a lot of place or B. Hone in on a few, and fish them hard. I used to try and balance the both but I have found recently I need to have either one or the other.

As far as baits, I put LFT hyper lizards on my spinner baits. Lots of good fish on them =)

Posted By: QUINCY ALLISON

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 10:06 AM

My contribution to this post is the :

Light weight C-rig

I love throwing a Carolina Rig on any lake just about anytime of the year. I throw the big 1oz-1/2 oz some of the time but during this past year I have been throwing a 3/8 tungsten with just the swivel , a 3-4 ft. Leader and hook on 12# line. I can say my bites have almost doubled. I love to throw this 12-20' around rocks and work it real slow. I will have to say the Smallmouth love this as do the largemouth so next time your C- rigging try downsizing.

Posted By: southpaw59

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 01:07 PM

The 2 things I'm always having to tell myself, especially during a tournament, reel slower and change up retrieve. #2 is if you catch a fish somewhere,stay and fish that spot thoroughly, don't just keep trolling out of habit. Easy to say, hard as heck to do.

Posted By: bassdaddy1683

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 01:14 PM

I wish I was knowledgable enough to give my two cents! However it wouldn't help anyone. Those of you who are posting i would like to say thanks for the tips it is much appreciated from this guy anyways!!

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 04:59 PM

This is going to be long. I am sorry but I feel I want to make two statements to contribute to this post.
First is how and the bait that I have won over $50K in tournaments on.
Second will be why I wish I had gone another direction in fishing.

You must consentrate on what other people do not do. Knowing how to fish deep grass is one of them. Especially getting in the matted areas. If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat accross the mat by rocking the boat from side to side.
I have fished the deep grass at Lake Amistad for 30 years. Here is what you do. In the heat of the day they are burried up in the grass.
Here is how you get them out:
Rig a heavy drop shot rig:
5.0 heavy super line hook. Tied on 50# braid. Use a Palamar knot. Leave the tag end at 5 inches long. Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use a overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass and hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull it off and come out with the hook and fish. You understand that the hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon.
It will drop in the grass and come out of the grass with no hang-ups.
Fish vertical to 20% in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneeking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait.
Vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hookset.
HAVE FUN!!

This is part two of a life time of fishing and spending $25K each year on working all these techniques we are talking about here. 95% of the time it is about location, location, location to really slam a big stringer for the day. It doesn't happen very often unless you are out there everyday doing your homework. Sure you learn a new tech. and it helps some, you fish with a new guy and learn something that helps. But it usually comes down to getting 5 bites a day that are good enough to weigh in a decent stringer. Get past the Spring spawn and this is the case in all our U.S. lakes; except for maybe two, Falcon and Amistad.
This is why I wish I had never went that route. We are going out there just for the sake of going and competition. Now I realize what $25K could have done for me. That is over 10 trips to Mexico for 2 people; each year where I can catch 100 Bass a day and 50 of those be over 5 lbs.
I know most of you guys are young and want something to do every weekend. Starting right now so you will know for your own personal use, just how much you are spending and what bang you are getting for your buck. Keep a log book on expenditures and fish caught on each trip; then you will know. Expences such as boat, gas, oil, service, truck, tires, service, food, motels, repairs, advertising/business, and it goes on and on. At the end of this year you will see what needs to be done. Like the song says, (Do I Stay or Do I go). I wish I had chosen to go to Mexico once a month at least; instead of spending every weekend trying to find five fish.

Posted By: Brandon Shook

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 06:16 PM

Good thread idea!

When pitching or throwing a t-rig or a jig to any cover such as a dock, stump, etc. don't just throw it right to the stump and leave the line tight. This causes the lure to swing away from the cover and you actually start fishing several feet from the target.

Instead, immediately upon the lure hitting the water, strip off a couple feet of line and let the lure drop straight down. Now you're dropping the lure right in the heart of the cover, where the fish are.

Posted By: soje

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 07:11 PM

T-rig: pop it 6" at a time, on slack line. This is a unique felling when you're doing it right. Takes patients.

Topwater: After it hits the water, let the ripples get about 15 ft away from the lure before working it.

Weightless worm t-riged: drag it over the top of lilys and other heavy surface plants. Try to get it into little openings, then let it fall of the edge on slack line.

If I find fish holding on a drop off, or along the edge of vegetation, I will get in line with it of and pull my bait along the entire length of it. This is instead of casting behind it, and bringing the bait over one spot. I fish a kayak, so I can get right up next to stuff. Not sure if that makes sense.

Try holding the rod at different angles. I will swing left and right when retrieving a moving bait.

I'm trying to learn new techniques. I try to force myself to use a certain technique all day, instead of going to my confidence baits. This is only so I can learn. When I want to have fun, I go with what I know.

Posted By: soje

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/28/12 07:25 PM

I'm sure it's not news to anyone, but smaller fish seem to be dumber, and more aggressive. I can catch a ton of dinks when fishing too fast, and not trying to present it right. If I slow down, and try to actually put it in the right place, and work it right, I get the bigger fish. They seem to be more particular about what they hit.

Also, I catch a ton of fish on this little cheap worm. When nothing else works, this thing will catch em. I have a box full of pricey baits, and this thing can out fish them all sometimes.

The pumkin seed is the only color that does it.
linky

Posted By: otay michael

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/28/12 07:46 PM

The biggest help I learned recently was how to tell the difference between a sharp hook from one only semi-sharp, and semi-sharp hooks lost me a lot of fish.

When you test them against the skin of your finger, it might feel sharp (that's how the average guy would test, and it seems reasonable I guess). But what your really need to do is to run it across your fingernail -you will really see a difference. If it's really sharp, it will not skid across at all, only GRAB! A semi-sharp hook, which is not sharp at all in terms of hook-up needs, will skid right across it.

A few days ago I put this to use. On a really good bite a crankbait hooked, and brought in, five fish in a row, no problem, jumps and all. Then, the next three all threw the bait! I put 2+2 together and got out the stone, got five more, then lost some again! Stone back out, solved problem, caught more fish. It really does make a difference, it's just that I'd never caught so many fish in so short a time to have it tested like that- was way cool. Got 35 for the day, landed, can't beat that. Felt like a darn pro!

I've found a lot of hooks right out of the package now need sharpening, it's amazing.

Tight lines. Oh, Praise the Lord for your health and your time on the water, be it one hour or 18, fish or no fish, otherwise why bother?

Posted By: its a fluke

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 05:53 AM

fish fast and cover water changing baits often, until you find fish. then slow down and saturate that area with soft plastics and jigs for bigger fish.

Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 07:02 AM

Too many of times where i have been going through the motions and missed bites due to not being ready and setting hook to late. in other words, when ever you cast,pitch with plastics be ready for the bite on the fall. my worst mental mistake.

Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 07:10 AM

Also the most realistic lure i have come across. a stand up shakey head jig with a yum craw bug. killer just about any time of year.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 08:14 AM

If you have never tried deadsticking a soft plastic, try it sometime.

Another thing, I know many of you are a big fan of watermelon/red because as we all know, that color just flat out will catch fish. One that I use when it is bright and sunny out is watermelon/gold. I will switch between the two to see which the fish likes better. Many times I get bit more on the watermelon/gold. Try it sometime.

Posted By: okbassforum

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 10:19 AM

The biggest thing ultimately is time of the water. Don't lock into a particular bait or area of the lake and fish them all the time. Try something new from time to time and try to fish a new area every time you go to a lake once you figure out what the fish are doing. If you do that after a couple years you'll have dozens and dozens of areas that you have confidence in and will understand which spots produce when this spot your on now is producing. Knowing that will allow you to move from spot to spot based on where your first bite comes and stay on a working pattern. You can put together some great days on the water that way if you fish say 20 spots and the 5th spot produces 2 fish and you are able to duplicate that on the next 10-15. You'll catch some great numbers and possibly find a few better ones as well. When you get to where you have that pattern refined you'll be able to slow way down and work a slow moving bait and keep it in a productive zone 100% of the time. The trick to covering water while fishing a slow bait is refining the pattern to where you know which spots are producing and a good general depth range that the bites are coming in. If its the main lake side of secondary points in 6-10 feet of water and the cast needs to be 6-10feet to the side of the point then you have a fairly small area to fish that you can fish your bait of choice in slowly but within 20 minutes have worked over thoroughly with a couple different looks. I usually give an area like that 30 minutes and spend 20 fishing the sweet spot and 10 working the area surrounding it. Sometimes as the day goes on the fish will move out or move up and knowing a well refined pattern working it and the surrounding area will guarantee you know if they are on the move and can therefore adjust the sweet spot location. This is something you will have a hard time doing on lakes you don't get to fish alot but can be done with lots of study of maps and other information out there to atleast give you an idea of where duplicate areas are once you figure out something. Learning a lake really well takes time but with alot of map study and some time on the water you can figure out alot of stuff that will help out alot. Another thing I've learned to do is get on the lake when its got a large tournament going on and look at which areas get beat up and which areas don't. The areas that get beat up are what many think are good spots and are probably 1 fish spots at best due to pressure. I use 1 fish spots like that when I have 4 and am wanting to get a 5th one quickly or I'll start there and get a quick first keeper before moving onto something to fill out a limit. I noticed on one lake in a particular cove that over 50% of the anglers that went into it fished the south bank and certain areas of the south bank in particular. I learned to fish the north side of that cove and areas on the north side that many pass by altogether. I also noticed many fishing only the points and not fishing the sides or going into the pockets and therefore learned to fish spots off the sides of the points and nearby rock piles heading into the pockets that often hold fish. I call those areas that are near where everyone is fishing but still outside their primary area of focus gray areas. Staying in everyones gray area gives you pretty much fresh water that often is producing fish because of that and most others on the water think you are doing the same as them when you are not.

Doing something different doesn't mean it has to be drastically different. It can be as simple as noting everyone using watermelonseed and watermelon red plastics and using watermelon candy instead. Subtle changes work wonders most times.

Posted By: greenen

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 08:51 PM

Take your cell phone out of your pocket and put in in the glove box of the boat.

Pause your crankbait after you work through a rough patch of bottom or over a piece of cover for a second before you start your retrieve again.

Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 09:19 PM

I always thought I'd just drag half the lake back to the boat if I tried to fish wacky style in heavy weeds or lily pads.

However, after switching to the gammy Wicked Wacky hook which has a plastic weed guard like on a jig, I find it comes through amazingly easy and clean. Drag it off that lily pad or weed and stop. Hooked wacky it will just slowly flutter to the bottom only in most cases---it never makes it to the bottom.

Posted By: jwatts77

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/29/12 09:58 PM

When pitching or flipping a tube bait, rattles fall out of them easily. The 1/4" pinched aluminum tubing rattles don't fall out due to the flat crimp on one end. They are also a little quieter than glass rattles.

Rigged on 20# line, pegged 3/16 oz. tungsten bullet sinker, and with a 3/0 wide gap hook; your tube will swim and spiral just like a wounded or dying bait fish.

This set-up is easy to fish, gets into and out of heavy cover, and has won a ton of money for many tournament anglers.

Posted By: a-mac

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/29/12 10:45 PM

SUPER GLUE!!! more importantly, GORILLA SUPER GLUE! I use it on nearly every soft plastic, but especially on jig trailers. This prolongs the life of the plastic considerably, prevents the trailer from slipping up the hook (causing the hook to not penetrate into the fish as efficiently), and keeps the bait exactly where you want it every cast. I like the Gorilla super glue because it has a metal point in the cap to keep the hole open, and I've never had a bottle dry up! You also get a ton of glue for the $ in comparison to all other brands and the bottle is durable (to avoid the chance of busting it in a tackle bag).

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/29/12 10:55 PM

Keeping a log in detail! Of successful days on the water.

Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/29/12 11:00 PM

When in doubt ..... SET THE HOOK!

Posted By: JWRid

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/29/12 11:22 PM

Great Thread,

When fishing the banks I like to cast horizontal in the depth of water I have found my fist fish when cast perpendicular. If the fish was caught in 4 feet chances are the rest of them are going to be in about the same depth. Better chances if you lure runs a greater distance at the same depth.

Posted By: 150class

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 03:24 AM

awesome thread... I feel like I dont have much to offer besides never just flip or cast into a tree/bush only once, hit every side and angle of it possibly

Posted By: Joe Angler

Re: Lets pull our knowledge together: Post your best tip about any technique - 04/30/12 08:46 AM

x's 3. Thats the first tip I offer someone when the bass aren't so active.

Posted By: FishingFlash

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 11:32 AM

I fish a chartreuse soft plastic swim bait on a jighead about 75% of the time. I find fishing really, really slow about as boring as it gets. I'd rather move around and fish a little faster and catch 10 fish in a day than spend the entire day "watching paint dry" and catching 20 fish. But that's just me! With that being said: Most of the time, unless the fish are actually chasing shad on the surface, I tend to have the best luck when I swim this bait slower and allow it to free fall to the bottom often. A lot of bites will come as it simply hits the bottom and sits there.

Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 09:59 PM

while most folks that fish Fork hate catching slots (so they say). A distraction during tournaments.

But if you like catching those 5-7 lb fish fish a shad or white colored suspending jerkbait in May and June in the major creek outlets.

Get them down about 5' and pause. Just let them suspend. It's fun.

Posted By: Romney Fullerton

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 11:04 PM

I like to fish into the wind going down the bank cuz I can fish slower but also fish going with the wind if it just the right speed cuz i don't have to use the trolling motor as much so there less noise to possibly get more bites

Posted By: Big_Fin_Fish

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 11:24 PM

Use a Q-Tip and run it all around your rod guides if one of them pulls some cotton off you got a problem.

Posted By: MudMan

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 04/30/12 11:58 PM

When flipping deep structure (not pitching) and you can not reach bottom, grab your line between the first and second rod guide. This method will add feet to your maximum depth, keep you from disengaging/engaging your reel to feed additional line to reach bottom and add more time in the strike zone during the course of a fishing day.

Posted By: Big_Fin_Fish

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/04/12 10:44 PM

TTT

Posted By: billclay

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/05/12 12:52 AM

Put your wallet, keys, and phone in a waterproof container that floats.....

Hook sets are free.

It is not a coincidence that grubs, spoons, and Rapala Shad Raps have been around for a while.

When in doubt, stick with a natural looking bait.

Swimbaits are not just big fish baits.

Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/05/12 01:44 AM

When fishing topwater the thought is usually to use mono beacause it floats and flouro sinks.But you can use chapstick on a foot or two of line above your topwater and your line will float. You need to re apply every so often but it actually floats better than mono.

Posted By: CaliforniaTexan

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/05/12 05:02 PM

Keep your old plastics and use them to help go weedless on your Wacky rigs.

I cut old ones in strips about an 1/8th of an inch thick and an inch long(this depends on hook size).

I thread one end one the hook(like you would a drop shot except toward the hook eye) and then put my worm rigged wacky on the hook and then I grab the strip and thread it on the hook lengthwise.

It isn't totally weedless, but it takes 70% away.

Posted By: CoastalBent

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/05/12 05:20 PM

Hold yer mouth right!

Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/06/12 01:35 PM

For every rule in the bass fishing book, There is another contradictory one. I saw a Japanese angler, Ish monroe or someone being interviewed. He was asked what are most anglers doing wrong. He said NOTHING IS WRONG. TRY EVERYTHING. LIKE WILLIE NELSON SAYS, HE AINT WRONG, HE'S JUST DIFFERENT. I think confidence is the most important element in bass fishing. Great thread, by the way.

Posted By: Beegfoot1

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/06/12 02:45 PM

Yo Ish - you're Japanese now......

Re: Figuring out how to catch a winning stringer! - 05/06/12 03:07 PM

haha ^^ might as well be with all that JDM Daiwa he's sitting on

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum