Texas Fishing Forum

Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner

Posted By: Justin Wilcox

Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 02:48 AM

My son loves making homemade lures and weights. He's started making tail spinners but we haven't found an appropriate hook for them.

We tried treble hooks attached with a split ring.

But the split ring allows too much movement and the trebles constantly foul up in the body of the bait. On a plastic crankbait it wouldn't be as big of an issue but the lead cast body is still soft enough that the treble tips will stick in the lead occasionally.

So I think the answer will be a double hook with an unwelded shank, similar to ones that use to come on H&H spinners. But I can't seem to find any good ones at a reasonable price.

I did find these

But at $5.00 for 3 hooks it's not really economical when he's trying to make his own lures.

Oh and the lures are 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz so we were using #4 and 6 trebles. Figure that's about the right size.

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 02:53 AM

Try sizing down on the trebbles a bit. Those resemble the old little john's that I used to use years ago to tear up the whites.

Posted By: David Parker

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 02:58 AM

The old little george has a cut in the eye and then is bended back closed.

Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:21 AM

Try using a stirrup/ clevis on the shaft and Colorado or Indiana blade to get the spinner blade away from the hook and cut off the aft point of your treble hook.

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: David Parker

Tried that. Lost a fish that way.

Smaller size treble hooks don't stop it from fouling. The split rings still allows the treble to come back in contact with the body too easily.

Does the stirrup clevis go on the tail shaft with the blade and two balls between it? Never used one before and not sure of its function.

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin Wilcox
Originally Posted By: David Parker

Tried that. Lost a fish that way.

Smaller size treble hooks don't stop it from fouling. The split rings still allows the treble to come back in contact with the body too easily.

Does the stirrup clevis go on the tail shaft with the blade and two balls between it? Never used one before and not sure of its function.

Yes the clevis is for adding the spinner blade to the tail shaft with beads. Look at the Mustad #7826 (size 4) double hook at www.lurecraft.com

See Details Mustad #7826 $6.42
SKU#: 6x826
Description: Ringed, loose double hook with a nickel finish. 50 per bag. SIZE 8 IS OBSOLETE WHEN WHAT IS IN STOCK IS GONE.
Options:

Size: 2/0, 1/0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:42 AM

That's exactly the type I was looking for Bazztex, thanks for the follow-up. I'll give the stirrups a try too. Any experience with sizes on them? They're sized like F1 W2 etc on that website.

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:50 AM

Clevises are sized by wire diameter used. W-2 is for .035 wire and standard for most uses. I used to build my own baits and still customise a few. Stay away from the cheaper folded clevises they are fatter at the eye and harder to work with on smaller blades.

Clevises Size W-2
SKU#: 3X254C
Description: Nickel Plated Hole size: .035 25 per pack
$1.30

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 03:55 AM

Tail spinners will aways get fouled up on the line or hooks but they flat out catch fish and are an easy bait to make. If you powder coat the body the hook will foul up less because of the slick coating. You can do it with a small toaster oven.

Have fun cheers

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 04:02 AM

Ordered and ordered, will follow up with finished product in 5-7 business days smile

Re: Help with hook selection for homemade tailspinner - 04/22/12 04:10 AM

You can also get lure parts at www.barlowstackle.com in Richardson which I forgot to add to the shopping list. They have a store on the east side frontage road off 75 just south of Arappaho.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum