Texas Fishing Forum

Does Palaniuk not know the line trick?

Posted By: G-Money Monster

Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:18 PM

Just saw on bassmaster.com that he cut his day short becasue he got hooked while getting a 6# in the boat. Quote from Bassmaster.com....

Palaniuk said he got the hook in his finger while catching the fish around 9 a.m. He tried to push the hook barb through the skin for about a half hour, but couldn't do it. He then fished for another hour before deciding he wanted to get it taken care of.

Unless I am missing something I dont think he knows the line trick might have kept him on the water and out of the emergancy room...

Posted By: Rando

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:25 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I've had to do the line trick once and it worked great. If you've never seen this video online check out the link below(may not be for everyone so watch with caution). If these guys can get THIS saltwater hook out, I'm sure there's nothing too deep you can't get out using this trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg

Posted By: Fishingbw

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:30 PM

Ouch! The line trick just may have helped him out. Personally I have been hooked three times like that in the past, but fortunately the hook had gone all the way through and I could just cut the barb off or I was able to get the hook out just by twisting it upside down then backing it out, if that makes any sense. I have to admit that I'm a little bit worried about just yanking it out with a piece of fishing line, but that has been promoted quite a bit as a good way to remove a hook.

Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:32 PM

dang, based on the photo album, he cut that sucker off completely, and has the remainder embedded in his finger. . .

Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:33 PM

Always wear sunglasses. Sure wouldn't want to try that trick on someone's eye.

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:34 PM

great photo album, I intended to include the link in my previous post and forgot.

http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/hook-sends-palaniuk-er

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:34 PM

Now I know why he had to get off the lake.

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:39 PM

Yeah that sucks! And it does look like he cut it off! I wonder if he ever got back on the water. Any way after the doctors get a hold of it I bet it is going to be tough to fish. I am not a doctor but I bet they had to cut it out. Wonder if the line trick would of been alot easier...I am going to say yes on my opinion...but I am not there

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:43 PM

the photo album, shows pictures of the doc removing the remaining hook at the ER, but doesn't go any further. Surely he made it back in time to be able to weigh in. Not sure if he'd have enough time to fish any longer, or if it would be allowed by the rules.

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:46 PM

Wow that’s cool. When I looked at that album earlier...those ER pictures were not in there....

Posted By: Fishmark

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:48 PM

I doubt he would have left the water unless he had a decent limit. Probably has 17-18 pounds and figured it was worth the risk to lose the fishing time. Or, maybe it was too painful to fish through. We will find out soon....

Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:49 PM

Did he cut the hook or did it break? Once he got out of the boat he was DQ wasn't he?

Posted By: TheCraftsman

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:49 PM

I just read that he made it back on the water for a little more fishing and finished the day with a 20+lb stringer.

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TheCraftsman
I just read that he made it back on the water for a little more fishing and finished the day with a 20+lb stringer.
I also just saw the same posted by BASS on their facebook page (yes, Im almost ashamed to admit it . . . )

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 07:57 PM

You have to watch using the line trick is certain areas with tendons such as fingers. Its going to cut some on the way out as the point leads the barb. Works best in fatty tissue.

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:00 PM

I wonder if a tendon prevented him from pushing it all the way through?

Posted By: mudd

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:08 PM

Said he got himself unhooked yesterday buy wouldn't work today. That his boat was under bass officials eyes and hid Marshall couldn't leave boat while he was gone. Medical leave due to injury. That's a first I've heard

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:08 PM

Yeah we will find out here in a sec...he should be the first to weigh in....

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:09 PM

He cut it off with dikes. Tried to fish and was in too much pain. Got it removed, back on the water and will still be leading after day two, I imagine. That's one badazz young fisherman!

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:22 PM

I think that line trick may be hard to do in some cases without help depending on where it is your stuck. Being able to manipulate the eyelet is helpful during the yank.

Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
You have to watch using the line trick is certain areas with tendons such as fingers. Its going to cut some on the way out as the point leads the barb. Works best in fatty tissue.

Yes you have to be careful.... the line trick does NOT work when it's in the tendon, specifically the one behind the knuckle. Learned the hard way, after having it yanked on, pushing it on through and cutting it was a breeze smile

Posted By: duck dogs

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 08:39 PM

I think it would be hard to do the line trick by yourself when hooked in your pinky and I dont know if the Marshalls are allowed to help. I know that someone got DQ'd for having their Marshall help them get off a sandbar at one of the FL tournaments. I wonder if that same rule applies to all aspects of "helping" including hook removal.

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 09:01 PM

24-4 for him today. Leading by over 8# so far.

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Said he got himself unhooked yesterday buy wouldn't work today.

I smell a glove sponsorship forthcoming....

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 09:04 PM

Yeah who cares about the line trick this dude is whacking em!... banana He did make a comment that the hook was right by the bone....He also went to the hospital at 10:30....They were saying he had that sack by then...

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/20/12 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
24-4 for him today. Leading by over 8# so far.

Kid has got skillz...

Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/21/12 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
He cut it off with dikes. Tried to fish and was in too much pain. Got it removed, back on the water and will still be leading after day two, I imagine. That's one badazz young fisherman!

I agree.

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/22/12 12:33 AM

Personally, i don't like the line trick, especially in fingers.

If it's in the side of the leg or somewhere where dexterity isn't an issue i can see doing it. But in a finger i will push it through and cut it off and back out every time, plus you are left much less sore than when using the line trick.

Especially in a hand, at falcon i got a big dd22 deep in my finger and we tried the line trick, it wasn't coming out that way, oddly enough the week before i got a little n in the opposite hand and pushed it through, so decided to do this at falcon.

Both times i was immediately back to fishing , with very little soreness and no loss of dexterity.

I won't ever do the line trick again, it makes things worse if it's in there deep.

You just have to man up and push it through, it sucks, but in the end it' the better way to do it.

I have since stopped being stubborn and use my pliers on cranks now lol...

Posted By: AuburnTiger Bassin34

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/22/12 12:46 AM

Well I imagine the Percocet he was prescribed helped him forget about the pain......Just kidding but true.

Posted By: catslayer

Re: Does Palaniuk not know the line trick? - 04/22/12 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: junglejohn
I think that line trick may be hard to do in some cases without help depending on where it is your stuck. Being able to manipulate the eyelet is helpful during the yank.

fingers move a lot easier than say an arm like the guy kvd got. I would be really hard to stabilize the finger so you wouldn't just jerk the bejesus out of his finger... Idk who said pushing the hook through was a breeze for them, they are either WAY more of a man than I am or using a trokar hook lol... I pushed mine through the top of my knee and that ended up taking about 20 mins of soul searching to get it done lol

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum