Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod.

Posted By: soje

Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 02:22 AM

I fish from a kayak, and need to keep my rods to a minimum. I'm thinking I may be able to find a rod that will cover jigs, frog, and c-rigs. Am I off on this assumption? Anyone have a recommendation on a rod, or length, power, action, that I should look for?

I'm thinking the Mojo Slop-n-frog might be a good one. It's a 7 ft, heavy, fast. It's rated for lure weight from 3/8 to 11/2. Does anyone know what 11/2 means? I can't that it means 5 and 1/2 ounces.

I appreciate any help.

Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 02:27 AM

1 1/2 oz is the max. I'll have some Dobyns at the GTG if you want to check them out.

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: n2bassfishing
1 1/2 oz is the max. I'll have some Dobyns at the GTG if you want to check them out.

Definitely. I'm wanting to revamp my rod arsenal. It's going to be some work finding the right stuff.

Posted By: wackEmaster

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 02:42 AM

We make an MB844 7'0 hvy fast action and a MB874 which is only 7'3hvy fast. Both great for frogs, carolina rig, tx and jigs.

Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 02:57 AM

Soje that means one and a half ounces...

Never tried the Mojo so I can't help you there...

You could always go with the Kistler Magnesium 'Jig, Toad, Carolina' special... I have one and have absolutely loved it. Only caveat is that your Toad needs to be one of the bigger ones... It's way too much rod to be throwing ribbits on. Seems to me that the taper on that rod is a little different than a lot of other rods labeled heavy/fast. It might be closer to heavy/ moderate fast, but it has enough tip to be reasonably sensitive... Really works best for jigs and c rigs IMO, but it could work well for the larger frogs out there...

Biggest compliment I can give the rod is that it's been durable as hell... I too fish from a kayak so I know how much more abuse our rods get... That one has taken a licking for a couple years now and keeps on hauling them in... Certainly there are more sensitive rods but it's the kind of stick that can get stuck in limbs on a windy day without breaking the tip... You know how often that happens, I'm sure...

Been a very good rod for me...

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 03:24 AM

I feel dumb; I thought it was reading 11/2 like eleven over two.

Posted By: BassChronicles

Re: Looking for advice on a jig, frog, and c-rig rod. - 04/09/12 03:34 AM

Don't go with the Mojo, you'll be disappointed. I haves mojo jig rod, and it's a dead meat stick of a rod. Very little feel compared to my other rods; Fenwick Elite Tech, gander mountain GSX, Dobyns.

Dobyns, any of the Dobyns rods, are the way to go. Great feel, light, quality and a lifetime warranty. Do the Dobs!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum