Texas Fishing Forum

What do you think? Motor problems..

Posted By: jbhall1183

What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/26/12 06:03 PM

I have a 48 special johnson and this past weekend the motor would not go foward or backwards. It turned on with no problem but when I tried to put it into gear it made a rattling noise as if the propeller was hitting something. Boat mechanic said maybe be some lower unit problems.. I just put some new lubricant in my lower unit before this spring.. He said may need some new gear set or possible a new lower unit, or maybe some fishing line, etc..

Whatcha think? The motor has been pretty good for me since Ive had it.

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/26/12 06:20 PM

When you put it in gear does it rev up??? if so it definately has something to do with the lower unit not catching or the gears are not catching some where... BUT if you are putting it in gear and its not revving up at all then it sounds to me its a throttle problem...

P.S put this in the boats an motors section you will get more reply's!!!

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/26/12 06:22 PM

does it go reeeeun dun dun dun dun du dun dun tic tic kuk kuk burrummm?

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/26/12 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
does it go reeeeun dun dun dun dun du dun dun tic tic kuk kuk burrummm?

frkazoid hmmm de

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/26/12 06:32 PM

yea it revs up

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/27/12 03:25 AM

anyone?

Posted By: bassfork

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/27/12 03:28 AM

sounds like lower unit to me. have it checked by a good mechanic before you tear it up more by trying to put it in gear.

Posted By: buzzzfrog

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/27/12 03:38 AM

Could of spun the hub in the prop! Usually it will idle, but when you try to take off it will just rev up!

Posted By: Igot1

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/27/12 04:09 AM

I changed my lower unit one time in the dark. Left next morning in the dark not realizing that the nylon gasket that seals the bottom screw was not put on and most of fluid leaked out.Got to boat ramp started motor and wouldn't go into gear to shift. A fellow boater watching ask if I had plenty of lower unit fluid which I didn't realize had leaked out. Guess what? Checked out not enough fluid. Went and replaced nylon washer put in more fluid and no problem.

Posted By: powdr

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/30/12 04:25 AM

Shifter cable broke wile you were putting it in gear. Go back to your motor and see if you can manually shift it.Take the cable loose from the motor and I think you'll be able to pull the cable in and out of it's sheath at the break point. powdr

Posted By: TopGunPilot

Re: What do you think? Motor problems.. - 03/30/12 05:07 AM

There used to be a pin inside the prop shaft and it's probably broken. I hit a stump once and it snapped it. Pull of the prop and check that

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum