Texas Fishing Forum

lake pinkston

Posted By: 20xdc

lake pinkston - 03/15/12 11:42 PM

Has anyone been to pinksto lately. If so how's the two ramps.

Posted By: Fat Boy Fishing

Re: lake pinkston - 03/16/12 01:12 AM

Everything else around here has come way up so I assume pinkston has too. I would try the damn end first. Don't know for sure though

Posted By: NickHasty

Re: lake pinkston - 03/16/12 01:18 AM

ya. use either the point near the ramp at the dam or the dam ramp. the dams ramp is flat so youll pry get wet if u are alone....join the crowd! its been pressured lately

Posted By: Soonerchamp

Re: lake pinkston - 03/16/12 01:33 AM

Bad pressured

Posted By: 20xdc

Re: lake pinkston - 03/16/12 01:42 AM

Ill be there saturday then. Surley it wont be as packed as fork will be.

Posted By: csmith936

Re: lake pinkston - 03/16/12 01:44 AM

Pressured super hard!

Posted By: Rayzor

Re: lake pinkston - 03/20/12 11:51 PM

Does anyone know what the water level is or where to get it?

Posted By: fouzman

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 12:18 AM

Google Pinkston Lake Center, TX Current Lake Levels

Drought restrictions were lifted yesterday, March 19th. Have at 'em. boys. Brings back fond memories.

Fished that lake hard in '85-'87. After Earl Crawford caught the "then" State Record (16.9 I think), Pinkston became a little, cold water Monticello. I could run it from the East side boat ramp all the way to the far NW reaches. Caught many a fish around that roadbed past Earl's house on the NW corner of the dam. Ya'll think he really caught that fish on that trotline with the green a/c refrigerant bottles on either end, out front of his house? Remember the bait and color he said he caught it on? How about how long it took him to land the fish? And the name of the store where he weighed the fish"

To qualify, those are the positions in my mid's eye. I may have my diections all screwed up.

Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 12:33 AM

The jungle was where all the fish used to be. I was able to get my boat through the culvert. 18 ft with 150. Good times. Fished it 84-87 also when I was at SFA.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 12:35 AM

Tim, the "jungle" was to the east of the ramp on the opposite end of the dam, correct? Weren't there two culverts, side-by-side? Haven't been there since the 80's and I'm getting old rolfmao

Posted By: NickHasty

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 12:41 AM

fouz, lets hear this story about earl!

Posted By: King.

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 02:18 AM

Caught a 10.1 on a bugger man buzz bait in 2000. Miss those college days! Between Nac, Pinkston, Murvaul, Sam, and the Bend i was in hog heaven....

Posted By: Helm Hammerhand

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 05:04 AM

I loved sight fishing on that lake back when I was at SFA

Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 05:21 AM

Sounds like I need to get out there sometime!

Posted By: jseago

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 01:09 PM

It's a great lake Jay. Lots of stumps to fish and the grass was outstanding before the drought.

The summertime schoolies there can be 5 lbs, I kid you not!

Posted By: csmith936

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jseago
It's a great lake Jay. Lots of stumps to fish and the grass was outstanding before the drought.

The summertime schoolies there can be 5 lbs, I kid you not!

thumb

Posted By: NacogdochesBassm

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 04:26 PM

I used the ramp on the dam side about 2 weeks ago with no problems. The lake is looking great too.

Posted By: MamaTried-ATX

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 05:36 PM

I talked to pop this morning. He drove down to check the lake level. My guess is maybe 2' low right now. Ramp on dam is working fine. There was at least one large center console that launched and a pontoon that took out. However, when we took out at noon on saturday, there were 20 boats and trailers at the ramp and there was almost an equal number everyday last week (spring break). I was able to fish three evenings. Crowd is not as bad as fork but a lot for this lake. I bet everyone was catching a few fish though. This time of year you are not going to find a lake without pressure.

I end up fishing this more lake than any other. It's real convienent for us.

Posted By: coachfish

Re: lake pinkston - 03/21/12 06:24 PM

I was at SFA at the same time and had the same experiences. I and a good friend both have PBs from Pinkston. Interestingly enough, I live in Murphy, also. Ever fish the intramural bass tournaments when you were at SFA?

Posted By: Jcfullmoon

Re: lake pinkston - 09/25/22 03:48 AM

Any recent Pinkston reports ???
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: lake pinkston - 09/25/22 04:27 AM

I remember the pic of the 16 lber that Earl Crawford caught. That was one beautiful fish. Awesome pic!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: lake pinkston - 09/25/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NacogdochesBassm
I used the ramp on the dam side about 2 weeks ago with no problems. The lake is looking great too.

The "ramps" at Pinkston are bad at their best, but I still love to get out on that lake. Sloping clay does not make a good ramp.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: lake pinkston - 09/27/22 07:12 PM

Yup it's better than it used to be allowing more pressure though. Honestly I liked it hard to get to.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: lake pinkston - 09/28/22 09:49 PM

Love that lake! Only been one time but need to make a return for sure. Caught some solid fish out of there, 95% of them on topwater actually!

I had no issues getting a 22ft center console in/out at the ramp by the dam. Granted, this was after a good rain and I think the water was up a bit. Just be careful going down that road and cross your fingers that no one else with a boat in tow is coming your way

Hope they keep it that way though. Deters people from dragging their boats down that road.

Attached picture F370E83D-B18C-49BE-A70B-A6CD75195D24.jpeg
Attached picture 278225314_3005486826430823_2278451952289124918_n.jpg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum