Texas Fishing Forum

After the spawn

Posted By: gampa

After the spawn - 03/12/12 01:25 AM

I've read where the females after the spawn leave the nest for deeper water and don't eat for a week or so and then go on an eating frenzy to regain strength. Any truth to that? What have you experienced? I've also read that when they do start feeding again a bigger bait works better.....?

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 02:35 AM

From my experience after they spawn they staying around the same area they spawn in and rest for a little. They will eat a slower bait if presented in front of them. After they regain strength they really feed heavily either up shallow on perch/craws or go to deeper waiter looking for schooling shad.

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Skeet4life
From my experience after they spawn they staying around the same area they spawn in and rest for a little. They will eat a slower bait if presented in front of them. After they regain strength they really feed heavily either up shallow on perch/craws or go to deeper waiter looking for schooling shad.

Bingo!

Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 02:54 AM

Shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn.

Posted By: gampa

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 04:33 AM

Thanks guys.

Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 04:59 AM

also watch for bluegill beds in the post spawn period you'll know it's bluegill beds cause there will be bunches of them all together. if you see tons of circles in the dirt all close together with little fish swimming around there is almost always some big post spawn females nearby looking to eat.

Posted By: Reece Holt

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 05:01 AM

i caught the biggest bass of my life on a rattletrap in a creek where the shad were spawning after the bass spawn

Posted By: blooper961

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 07:39 AM

Present a slow plastic worm in the face of a female and she cant resist.

Posted By: Spiderman

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 11:33 AM

I have a friend that caught a bass over 10 lbs last year, by fishing soft plastics around the bream beds.

It's not a bad post spawn pattern for some big bass.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 04:19 PM

might wanna check these boys..........

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pesky-Perch/product/10231514/230031

Posted By: Dale Griffin

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JayKendrick
Shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn shad spawn.

Can get on some serious fish on this one.

Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: After the spawn - 03/12/12 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone
Originally Posted By: Skeet4life

Bingo!

+2 and remember the Shad Spawn isn't to much longer past these big females doin their thing!! thats when big girl fishing becomes real fun for me! March April and May. . . best three months of the year!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum