Texas Fishing Forum

flurocarbon leader with braid

Posted By: dudley44

flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:28 PM

need help or advise--using braided line 30 + BUT using 5 foot flurocarbon leader, Using good knot either palomar or san diego jam knot. I get good bite, lower rod and set hook pretty hard--breaks line at hook or jig--has happened more than I care. Was told the flurocarbon can't take a heavy "shock" or I have bad line. Have been using 20# Elite Vicious Flurocarbon----HELP

Posted By: PayneFish

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:32 PM

try using 30lb Big Game or 20lb if you want.It'll absorb that snap better.

Posted By: FlippinMad

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:37 PM

I have read bad reviews on the Vicious Flouro.. I use the Seaguar Red Label 15# for weithtless and the 20# for Tx-rig and leaders and have never had an issue with the line breaking on hookset. Most impressively, I have the same flouro that I had on last year and there is minimal memory on the Seaguar.

Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:39 PM

Seagar red label here, double uni to the braid and a uni knot to the jig tied wet. Don't have issues with breakage at all and when jig fishing I set the hook hard.

Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:48 PM

His what work for me!
Casey Jig fishing tips

The sixth vidieo down I have used this on 65lbs power pro with great results.

Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 05:53 PM

Blood knot & a improve sinch or whatever it's call twist it and go threw the loops

Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 06:23 PM

I fish 80% of the time with 30 Lb. Power Pro braid and a 20lb Seaguar Invisx leader. I tie the braid to the flouro with a double uni, and a WETTED palomar to my hook. Have only broke the line 3 times and it was the braid that broke every time and that was pulling against a stump or log. I have never broke off on a fish. I have straightened, bent, and broke all kind of hooks, but not the line. I believe in the Invisx. It seems pretty expensive, but when you are only using leaders that are 4-7 ft at a time, 1 spool will last forever.

I went back a read more. For Jig fishing, I use 65lb Power Pro and 20 lb Invisx. Here I do break the Invisx, but good lord it is tough to break. Again, though, never on fish. Just stumps and logs.

Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 06:50 PM

Since your using braid you don't need the bone jarring hooksets. Just reel down and give it a solid upwards yank. Or you could back off the drag

Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 07:09 PM

Make certain you are using Flourocarbon leader material not just flourocarbon line. The leader material is less prone to break on impact like you are experiencing. It is less flexible but won't be a problem since you are only using 5 feet or so of it at a time. The leader material comes in smaller spools and is around $10 or so per spool...it is HIGH DOLLAR stuff when you look at it by the yard but as stated above you don't go through much so the extra durability is worth the extra cost IMO.

Jason

Posted By: Joefishin

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BIGDOG1956
His what work for me!
Casey Jig fishing tips

The sixth vidieo down I have used this on 65lbs power pro with great results.

LOL, man someone had to dig those up. Look at that hippy wink

Posted By: Joefishin

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/02/12 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dudley44
need help or advise--using braided line 30 + BUT using 5 foot flurocarbon leader, Using good knot either palomar or san diego jam knot. I get good bite, lower rod and set hook pretty hard--breaks line at hook or jig--has happened more than I care. Was told the flurocarbon can't take a heavy "shock" or I have bad line. Have been using 20# Elite Vicious Flurocarbon----HELP

1st thing I would do is back off your drag. Braid and florocarbon have very little stretch. Use your drag to compensate for that.

Also like cantcatch5 said, use Floro leader material. It is stronger and better suited for leader applications.

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/03/12 02:06 PM

probably the line and hard hookset THANKS

Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/03/12 02:26 PM

I have gone away from braid for everything but frogs. Invizx casts fine and works well. But if you really want to do that I'd consider the following:

50lb powerpro ; Albright special; 20lb seagaur

The Albright is a very small knot and goes through eyes easy. With braid I'd focus on the diameter instead of lb test.

Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/03/12 02:52 PM

Vicious, nuff said. Also you must tie the right knot for the two lines to attach..The albright is what I use. I use braid on my spinning rig and a fluoro leader, but you couldnt give me anything that says vicious, been there and dodne that, junk.

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/03/12 04:20 PM

class of 66 Gig'em--only reason I went to Elite Vicious was "seemed like every pro was using it in tournament. Going with Seaguar now

Posted By: Beegfoot1

Re: flurocarbon leader with braid - 03/04/12 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano
Since your using braid you don't need the bone jarring hooksets. Just reel down and give it a solid upwards yank. Or you could back off the drag

What he said...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum