Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts

Posted By: Wishicaughtmore

Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 04:32 AM

Moving to Callisburg soon and was wondering about Ray Roberts. How is the bass fishing? Any advice would sure be appreciated.

Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 04:42 AM

It can be a great lake, and it can be awful at times too. That is expected from any lake though (except Falcon). I haven't fished out there in a good while so I don't really have any advice except be careful on the north end of the lake when running and find grass.

Posted By: North Texas Bass Assasin

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 04:48 AM

dont worry about the grass ...look for rocks and rocks with wood is a + if grass is around to no problem but...the bass only relate to the grass for a short period of time in the spawn in seems ... i think they will start to relate to it better to longer it has there...there still in the spots they were in before it came back is what im sayin

Posted By: hoss1324

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 10:23 AM

spawn and fall are awesome, summer and winter can be brutal and post spawn when the carp move in ruins just about every spot, so there's a fine window of about 4 good month and 2 excellent months followed by 6 months of pondering lithological evolution and how fish grow legs and leave.

Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 11:06 AM

not a good winter lake, the rest of the time it is ok.

Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 12:19 PM

Ray Roberts is fishable again as soon as the redbuds bloom. Before that it's the dead sea.

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 01:36 PM

It can be a tough lake. Spring spawn for sure is good. Other times tough. During summer months I'm on the lake fishing for crappie on brush piles.

Posted By: J-SPENCER

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 02:19 PM

overall its a pretty good lake

Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 02:21 PM

eh. meh.

Posted By: woolybugger1

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 02:50 PM

This lake is my nemesis. I have fished it for ten years, and like everyone else says, spring can be really good doing all the things we normally do in the spring. Summer will change to a hump, roadbed, pond dam bite.....and can be tough. She is fickle to say the least, but can be great! There will also be days you swear you will never waste another second on that finicky ***ch!And North Texas Bass Assasin is right on.

Posted By: adam_p

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/13/12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
eh. meh.

pretty much

Posted By: TP

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/14/12 11:11 PM

It is a love/hate lake for me. I will go out and really whack'em. But usually that is short lived and will go several more trips before i catch them good again. April/May is the absolute best time of year for me. Cold natured lake. The lake has some good quality fish, but like one of the previuos posts said the fish grow legs sometimes and leave.

Get comfy with fishing deep. Had too many good days to quit fishing it, but sometimes i wish i was on another lake smile

Posted By: Chet

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/14/12 11:35 PM

I love that lake but fishing out of my own boat I only have a 5 or 6 lb fish to show for it. Lost one conciderably larger but you know how that goes. But I have caught fish to 10-9 with Dannie Golden. All this says to me is I'm not nearly as good a stick as Dannie and it's a lake you have to put your time in on. He is always on them, me not so much.

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Wishicaughtmore
was wondering about Ray Roberts. How is the bass fishing?

RedRanger knows....but will he tell?

Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 12:46 AM

lake is moodier then my ex ol' lady.... should be a good year for her. Cant get much worse... the lake is really finicky but still always puts out some nice sacks. Lots and lots of grass this year with vegetation in places I havnt ever seen it. Should make for a good spawn and a decent year of fishing. My buddy had an 11 pounder out there the other day but caught it on a black buzzbait?

That right there goes to show you Ray Roberts doesnt read the same books we do.

Looking forward to bass champs in a couple of weeks... should spit out a 30 plus pound sack- weather permitting. See ya on the water.

Posted By: RCV

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 01:02 AM

I was referred to Dannie Golden by friends who swore by him. I fished that lake while in college before it opened and since. Moved away for several years and it has definitely gotten tough in the winter. I went out with Dannie the day after this past Christmas and we had as good a day on the water as I would have expected on any lake in N. Texas, that includes Fork. The biggest was 7.25, not a lot of fish, but we caught at every spot we fished. The toughest thing about RR to me is the ability to run in the creeks due to fluctating water levels, no marked boat lanes and inadequate mapping beyond the hazzard markers, even the latest greatest Navionics. Dannie however,can run full out to the back of every creek on the lake. I highly recommend a couple of trips with him to get the lay of the land. He's a great guy also, spent 8 days with him on Falcon in January and we smoked the fish. Go to www.get-bit.com

CV

Posted By: Michael Doughty

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 02:23 AM

The sprang time bite is awesome. After 15 years fishin that lake i learned one thing. The lake has a heavy shad population. In the summer find humps or drops in about 20 foot and fish shad color baits. Very seldom will u go home empty handed. The big downside is u catch sever sandbass and gasper goo"s to every bass but the bass are usally gooderns

Posted By: adam_p

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
lake is moodier then my ex ol' lady.... should be a good year for her. Cant get much worse... the lake is really finicky but still always puts out some nice sacks. Lots and lots of grass this year with vegetation in places I havnt ever seen it. Should make for a good spawn and a decent year of fishing. My buddy had an 11 pounder out there the other day but caught it on a black buzzbait?

That right there goes to show you Ray Roberts doesnt read the same books we do.

Looking forward to bass champs in a couple of weeks... should spit out a 30 plus pound sack- weather permitting. See ya on the water.

There are no 11lbers left in this mudhole.

Posted By: bassquatch33

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 04:27 AM

dang white bass are over running the lake!they are everywhere!!!!! I live in Gunter, so me and my dad go to ray bob every once and a while. mostly we go to coffeemill or davy crockett.

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 05:43 AM

Good lake, but it can be frustrating at times.

Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Frustrating until you catch that fish in your sig.

Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 02:24 PM

I'll let you know tomorrow!

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Frustrating until you catch that fish in your sig.

Last spring was good out there.

Posted By: Legend08

Re: Ray Roberts - 02/15/12 04:00 PM

October was not bad either. Treated me better than Falcon did in Nov.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum