Texas Fishing Forum

So u throw a buoy marker. Now what?

Posted By: T Gutierrez

So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 02:59 AM

Whats the courtesy rule?
Is that water available after ur 100 yards away from it, 200yards away or 1/4 mile away?
Lets say I run across the lake to fish a drop off. Then I see ur marker buoy on it but ur boat is now 600 yards from the buoy.
Do u now need to ask permission from me to fish my water or to come claim ur marker? Am I a assss to fish it? Or do I just need more marker buoys?

Posted By: tx6158

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:15 AM

600yds is a little ridiculous on holding a spot. 200 yds Max IMO.

Posted By: tx6158

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:16 AM

600yds is a little ridiculous on holding a spot. 200 yds Max IMO.

Posted By: Gone Shank'n

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:18 AM

If you want to leave it for a long period of time, throw out something unnoticeable. A water bottle or something that looks like a jug line won't draw any attention thumb

Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:21 AM

I personally don't leave a buoy marker. I fish it, pick it up and move on. I would think if you moved on more than a few hundred feet away it would be fishable water for the next guy. Everyone may have differing opinions but I wouldn't expect a buoy to hold my spot while I went on fishing down the ledge or channel.

Posted By: demok83

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:27 AM

I agree. I would never leave mine more than maybe 200 feet. If you leave a buoy you can't expect to have nobody fish it. Pick it up!

Posted By: holsterguy

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:29 AM

Hell I can't even see a buoy outside of 200ft. I'm usually within casting distance.

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:35 AM

Good topic.......200 ft seems more than reasonable. If you haved moved out of an area and are trying to "save" it with a marker I dont think you should have exspectation for anyone to honor it at that point.

Posted By: SkeeterMarine

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:37 AM

I agree with the 200 ft. It seems like a reasonable distance!

Posted By: 10 lbs or bust

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:39 AM

wow.....like was said earlier, I cant see 200 yds away let alone leave a buoy marker that far away....lol. If I drop a buoy I fish it, when I am done I pick the thing up. I have seen a guy drop three markers fifty yards apart making some sort of triangle to keep out fishermen....lol.

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:44 AM

Oh, at 200 yds you loose your marker.....I have a boat full of em rolfmao

Posted By: 9094

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:46 AM

I think 200 feet would be great. Half of the time when I put one out if I get more than 100 feet from it someone pulls right up to it.

Posted By: Bank beater 1

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 04:09 AM

What always ticks me off whenyou are getting close to that too far away mark(200ft or so) and some bent rod pos runnin down the lake swings by slows down to an idle right by ur bouy and keys in a waypoint then jumps back up and runs off.

Posted By: JustWingem

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Bank beater 1
What always ticks me off whenyou are getting close to that too far away mark(200ft or so) and some bent rod pos runnin down the lake swings by slows down to an idle right by ur bouy and keys in a waypoint then jumps back up and runs off.

For this very reason is why I throw out a dummy marker about 100' from where I am fishing. I have even had so called "guides" swing by and set a way point. splat

Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 04:45 AM

I try to assume there just zooming in and out trying to find there next spot. LOL

Posted By: Tick...

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 04:52 AM

Camo your bouys with black tape and don't stray too far off without pickin' it up, poachers suck, the bird doggers and bent rod pattern guys show no mercy. Few anglers respect others water like back when, I get so pissed when a boat idles close on offshore stuff and hear the beep beep from poachers marking the structure you are fishing. At the very least they can come back later ...

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 05:31 AM

I used to think that keeping a low profile was the answer to this delema. Big shinny boats with alot of equipment hanging off of them tend to attract alot of attention. And not by just people who dont know where/how to fish and guides. It is for this reason I have gone the other way and employed the over the top strategy and had a tri-pod mounted RPGL installed on the back deck slinger So far the results have been very positive.

Posted By: red cajun

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 06:50 AM

Most people I know only fish about 50 - 75 ft of marker. They also usually pick up..I have came up on themarkers stuck in brush ( Tyler ) and left ( Fork ). I fished em and caught fish.Thanks to whomever left em. Lol

Posted By: John175☮

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 12:55 PM

I never get more than a cast or two away. What would you mark that you would get 200 yards away from?

Posted By: Weekender1

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 01:05 PM

I have used up to 6 bouys to map out a point but once I find the spot on the point I want. I usually pick them up and just keep one by the boat to keep boat position while fishing.

If I get more than casting distance from one of my bouys you can have it..

Jody

Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 01:37 PM

I have GPS on my front graph and a Nav card. I haven't used a buoy marker or set a waypoint in years.

Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 01:48 PM

I throw out "Dummy" markers all the time. It's cheap entertainment.

Posted By: just plain bill

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 01:49 PM

if somebody's fishing a point or small cove, go fish someplace else. if somebody's dropping buoys all over the place, they can't expect to rope off an entire section of a lake.

Posted By: Lineripper

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 03:45 PM

Your right about fellows coming by and marking a spot, it's happened a time or two, came within 50 ft of my boat and Hauled [censored], don't use them any more. banana

Posted By: Alwims

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 05:01 PM

I'm not trying to make you Texas boys mad, but I'm confused. In this day and age of sophisticated electronics, what do you expect? Seems like anymore if I catch a nice bass or mess of crappie, I always have some jerk wad come over and GPS my spot. I'm afraid it's something we might as well get used to. Privacy in this new world is disapearing fast.

Posted By: Tom Groves

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 05:12 PM

Had this happen a few times. I`ve started carrying my paintgun.

Posted By: Kevin Sharp

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Alwims
I'm not trying to make you Texas boys mad, but I'm confused. In this day and age of sophisticated electronics, what do you expect? Seems like anymore if I catch a nice bass or mess of crappie, I always have some jerk wad come over and GPS my spot. I'm afraid it's something we might as well get used to. Privacy in this new world is disapearing fast.

I would rather have them mark it and leave than to drop tm and start fishing on top of me.

Posted By: Alwims

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Sharp
Originally Posted By: Alwims

I would rather have them mark it and leave than to drop tm and start fishing on top of me.

I've been fishing for more than 45 years and this has been going on for most of it. Before I had trolling motors, I was tied to a tree one time and some jerk wad tried to tie to the same tree because he saw me catching crappie. I was so mad I reached around the tree and cut his line when he wasn't looking. I was full of pi$$ and vinegar back then and didn't care. Today, I just stand up and pee in the water or their boat, if they are close enough. They either leave or laugh so hard they fall in the water. eek

Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 06:56 PM

Don't leave your bouy unattended and expect it to be there when you get back lol. There was a nice rant on that topic a couple months ago here. Seriously though, just use your gps and mark the waypoint.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: So u throw a buoy marker. Now what? - 02/11/12 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: holsterguy
Hell I can't even see a buoy outside of 200ft. I'm usually within casting distance.

+1

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum