Texas Fishing Forum

Jig trimming...

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 04:55 PM

I am headed to Falcon on Monday for 4 days....and incidentally, I bought a few new jigs to take along. I figured since I bought these new additions....I would ask what kind of modifications you guys make to your jigs.

So what do you recommend trimming, taking off, etc...? and why?

Also, do most of you "nose hook" your trailers, or thread them on?

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:13 PM

I always trim mime even with the bottom of the hook.... allows the trailer to do most of the work and will help on hooking up I think.....also I pull apart the weed guard spreading it out so its not so stiff..... Hope this helps

Posted By: Barrett

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:15 PM

I always like a fully trimmed jig. If you trim your jig it will penetrate the bush much more efficiently.

Posted By: JPost

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:19 PM

I guess it depends on the jig for me. I use Jo Baby jigs mostly lately and leave them as is besides fanning out the guard a little bit. Most custom jigs I've used seem to be pretty good as they're made. When they bite JoBaby jigs they get stuck pretty well and if a fish gets off it's usually because it got wrapped in a bush.

Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:20 PM

RIGHT ON BARRETT!

Posted By: Gone Shank'n

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
I always like a fully trimmed jig. If you trim your jig it will penetrate the bush much more efficiently.

rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao

Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:26 PM

I only trim the weed guard, I usually cut half of them off. Better hook-ups.

Posted By: Brandon Shook

Re: Jig trimming... - 02/09/12 05:39 PM

I usually will thin out the weedguard a little bit by pulling out a few strands and then fanning out the rest. I'll trim it 1/4" or so too just to make the hookups easier.

The skirt gets trimmed too in most cases, usually 1/2" or so.

I usually thread the trailer up on the hook as well. All these things put together help my hookup rate. A lot. It also helps with penetration into the 'ol bush. lol

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum