Texas Fishing Forum

Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!!

Posted By: Monte Coon

Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:00 PM

Let's hear some of those tips that you've figured out along the way that saves time making you a more efficient angler on the water, preparing equipment, tricks of the trade, etc....

Also what kind of tips can you share that saves money making our hobby more affordable?

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:01 PM

One cost cutting thing I’ve found is when changing out braided line I reverse the old, frayed, and faded line back onto another reel just like it was coming off the spool. You end up with the old line as backing and the brand new line becomes your main line.

Posted By: D-Hobbs

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:02 PM

The best way to catch bass is not from the couch/keyboard. I sure wish I were out there chasin' them now! thumb

Posted By: D-Hobbs

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Monte Coon
One cost cutting thing I’ve found is when changing out braided line I reverse the old, frayed, and faded line back onto another reel just like it was coming off the spool. You end up with the old line as backing and the brand new line becomes your main line.

Same goes for flouro/mono as long as its not super old. Spray a little line conditioner on and you're in bidness.

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:05 PM

......listening to Red Ranger!

Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:44 PM

Fish out of a little bass buster with a 30 lb. trolling motor like I do and you'll have the best gas mileage of any boat on the lake. rolfmao rolfmao

Posted By: Bass Hawk

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:49 PM

. My cost cutting tip is when you have caught a couple fish on the plastic your using bite about 1/2'' off the tip and rehook good for a couple more fish.

Posted By: Bay Kirkham

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:53 PM

I hope you get some serious responses- I am interested to hear some tips-

Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/08/12 11:58 PM

I quit worrying about color years ago, so I could have a bait,(any bait), in the water more.
Now I catch more fish.
Once you're around fish, depth and speed of retrieve are way more important than color.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 12:00 AM

Mine was serious but here is another. When taking off your old line to recycle take the end to your old spool take a Dremel tool and tighten the rubber bit till it bits and hit the button take off what you want and turn in for recycle.

Posted By: patriot07

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bayjohn
I am interested to hear some tips-
big +1

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Hawk
Mine was serious but here is another. When taking off your old line to recycle take the end to your old spool take a Dremel tool and tighten the rubber bit till it bits and hit the button take off what you want and turn in for recycle.
I wasn't reffering to you sir- Great tips

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 12:10 AM

Here's one for you tube fisherman Take some gauze soak it in your favorite scent. Cut some off and stuff it in the tube and when your pulling it off the bottom it releases the scent.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 12:11 AM

You can also add weight to your favorite frog by stuffing worm rattles in the holes adds weight and noise

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 01:58 AM

As far as being more efficient on the water the biggest step I made last year was building a go to box. It’s a Plano box that’s loaded with everything I plan to use in a day on the water from hooks, weights, plastics, etc… All in the same box it saves lots of time and beats digging and digging for a particular bag of worms, speed crawls, senkos, or what ever I plan to use. They are all in the same place and it also keeps me on track and focused on catching fish rather than thinking of what trick I can try next. I leave that box out on the deck all day so it’s always at my finger tips no digging equals more time fishing!!!

Posted By: beermill

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Monte Coon
As far as being more efficient on the water the biggest step I made last year was building a go to box. It’s a Plano box that’s loaded with everything I plan to use in a day on the water from hooks, weights, plastics, etc… All in the same box it saves lots of time and beats digging and digging for a particular bag of worms, speed crawls, senkos, or what ever I plan to use. They are all in the same place and it also keeps me on track and focused on catching fish rather than thinking of what trick I can try next. I leave that box out on the deck all day so it’s always at my finger tips no digging equals more time fishing!!!
I have the same thing with "Da Box" written on the sides.

Posted By: LvilleLrat

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:18 AM

Since it is almost bed fishing time, here is a tip I have used in the past for marking beds. Take a length of line and put a large weight ( 1 oz will do) on the end. On the other end put one of the large Red and white bobbers. When you spot a bed toss out the weight and bobber to the right or left of the bed then back off and fish it without spooking or blowing mud on the bed from the trolling motor.

Posted By: Chad Hill

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:19 AM

I dont know about making me catch more fish but saving money anyway. I use to run around the lake while prefishing full blast. 70MPH everywhere, and I see guys doing it all the time. With the gas prices I have slowed it down to the 50-55 range and have saved alot of gas.

Posted By: CrappieFreaks

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: LvilleLrat
Since it is almost bed fishing time, here is a tip I have used in the past for marking beds. Take a length of line and put a large weight ( 1 oz will do) on the end. On the other end put one of the large Red and white bobbers. When you spot a bed toss out the weight and bobber to the right or left of the bed then back off and fish it without spooking or blowing mud on the bed from the trolling motor.

Good tip thanks.

Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:07 AM

here's an old tip I had to dust off for ya...to save some time out on the water, take your tackle box into the crapper with ya to sharpen/replace hooks and when the job is done so to speak be sure to check your shorts for any miss'placed baits/hooks that might catch'ya by surprise !!!

Posted By: Dale Griffin

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Chad Hill
I dont know about making me catch more fish but saving money anyway. I use to run around the lake while prefishing full blast. 70MPH everywhere, and I see guys doing it all the time. With the gas prices I have slowed it down to the 50-55 range and have saved alot of gas.

Thats a good one. Only time I run the boat hard is for tournaments not in that much of a hurry outside of a tourney.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: LvilleLrat

Good one right there thanks for the tip!!! thumb

Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 02:58 PM

In the long run this is the most economical bang for your buck for sure!

thumb

TIME IS MONEY!!!

Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:02 PM

Save every pack of silica gel that you can get your hands on. Put a couple in each box and your hooks will last longer.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug E. Fresh
In the long run this is the most economical bang for your buck for sure!

thumb

TIME IS MONEY!!!

I would do that in a heart beat just need the time!!!

Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:15 PM

I do my backing a little different. I spool up about half a spool of old line. I then take black electrical tape and cover that line up, I stick it to the old line and use the reel handle to reel it up really tight. I then tie my regular line around that. Now I have about a half a spool of line, which keeps the birdnests down, less line waste and I keep the spool full because thats where your gear ratio is.

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:17 PM

I add a scent attractant to almost every bag of soft plastics I use ahead of time.. Douse some scent in the bag, rub it in and seal it up till you’re ready to use it.. Saves time having baits ready to go, and a lot less mess.. Some plastics actually get very soft with time--almost like hand pours..

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

I add a scent attractant to almost every bag of soft plastics I use ahead of time.. Douse some scent in the bag, rub it in and seal it up till you’re ready to use it.. Saves time having baits ready to go, and a lot less mess.. Some plastics actually get very soft with time--almost like hand pours..
Great tip- Now if only I could find some of that mega juice....hmmm

Posted By: Lucas Lures

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:35 PM

being sure not to hook yourself, I hold my new buzzbait out the window of my truck to make the blade spin. This helps wear in with the rivot and give a more squeeky noise.

Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 03:38 PM

K.I.S.S.

The more I try to use this approach to fishing, the more money I save and the more fish I seem to catch.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Posted By: demok83

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 04:06 PM

I like this tip! banana

Posted By: bowfin

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 04:15 PM

Leave wife at home,prevents sight seeing.

Posted By: Huntinnfishin

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 04:57 PM

Anytime I'm putting a rod away, I put my lure on the bottom eye or on the hook saver on the rod and then I tighten my line on the rod, wrap the line around the eyes a couple times, and it keeps my rods from getting tangled. May be easier to use a rod sock, never bought one, but I've been doing it for years and really helps me.

Posted By: FisherMen

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntinnfishin
Anytime I'm putting a rod away, I put my lure on the bottom eye or on the hook saver on the rod and then I tighten my line on the rod, wrap the line around the eyes a couple times, and it keeps my rods from getting tangled. May be easier to use a rod sock, never bought one, but I've been doing it for years and really helps me.

I do this as well. Also... I recently purchased The Rod Glove brand covers and they have helped even more. In order to organize them better, I picked one color for all my moving baits and one color for all my worm/jig/stationary type baits. This helps me to find what I am looking for quicker. I may buy a third color to put on a favorite or more frequently used rod in order to find it better.... or put in on a rod that is not used as much or technique specific so I know not to grab it first.

Posted By: Stan Browning

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:10 PM

Fish your strength's,not what everyone say's is producing fish,in the long run you will have more confidence and catch more fish by fishing your strength's.

Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:11 PM

Okay, here are a few of mine:

I keep the senko type baits after using them for Trigged applications and use them for wacky rigging, They will wobble more as they sink.

2. Wacky rigging o-rings. Got to sally's beauty supply and get some rubber bands that they use when they braid hair, the small ones. You get like 500 for $2, then just double the rubber band and slip over your soft plastic stick bait, catch multiple fish on one bait.

3. Don’t like to use the o-rings then get some clear jumbo straws at specific restaurants and cut in ¼ inch lengths, put over your bait and then your hook through the straw and bait, can use the same bait all day long.

4. When you buy some spinner baits (H2) they put that rubber tubing over the hooks, keep thos and cut them up like in 1/8 lengths. The put them on your Carolina rig just above the swivel to protect the knot.

5. Treble type baits, like topwaters and crankbatis, always getting tangled up with the other rods. I use those hair clips that are 3-4 inches long and you can get them anywhere. I buy mine from the dollar store and can get 4-5 for $1. Borrow some from your wife or girlfriend. When I am on the deck of the boat and I pull one off I just attach it to the trolling motor wires and they have never come off. My dad taught me this one.

6. Hook sharpener – I use an emory board. I have one that is course on one side and fine on the other. It works better than a file and gets the hook super sharp. It will double when you rip a nail and you can file it down. LOL

7. Remember what line you have on the reel? Use a label maker. Typically one does not change the rod that the reel is on and the label usually is long, so just wrap it around the hand of the rod so that it sticks to itself and you will have a waterproof sticker. You can also date it so you know how when the line was put on.

8. I have been doing this one for years. I get those retractable lanyards from office depot or the dollar store and attach my little clippers to it and then put it on my belt loop or belt and they are always right there and when I am done, I just let them go.

9. Been doing this one for twenty years, will post anyway if it’s a repeat. When re-spooling line, don’t take the old all the way off, leave some on for backing. Use a uni-uni knot to attach with only 2 or 3 loops per tag and cut real close so there is not catching

10. Only put the amount of gas in the boat that you think you are going to use. Allows you to keep a small amount in the boat when not in use, so you will burn it off. Plus helps you concentrate more on a particular area and fish it more thoroughly before going somewhere else. Of course this does not work if you have a milk run, but again, only put in the amount that you plan on using.
11. I love to fish tubes, but I like to use oldhams with the wire guard, always been a pain to get it rigged, until I started using an easy thread needle. It has an slit in the hole so you can slide the wire guard and thread the needle through the middle of the tube. I know that sometimes the tube will go bad after catching a few fish and you need a new one. But this is good because it forces you to retie.

12. Replace all the baits that have skirts and use the rubber bands with little zip ties. No more skirts falling apart.

13. I use a dental pick to help out with backlashes. When you go to your dentist, ask if they have any that they don’t use anymore, get the ones that are rounded on the sharp ends, some have a cutting/scrapping edge. They should give them to you for free.

14. Buy larger spools of line like in 1000/3000 yard spool. It is way cheaper in the long run. I only buy the smaller spools when necessary.

15. When using Frogs, pull the skirt out a little from each leg and put a drop of super glue and then pull back. Do this for both legs and it will keep your legs from falling apart.

16. Use baby wipes instead of TP, plus you can use them to clean your hands. Keep one in truck and boat.

17. When keeping tools in boat, like screwdrivers, wrenches, etc, tools that can rust. Use some type of Tupperware bowl that can hold the tools. Keeps them dry and rust free.

18. Wiping down the boat I use “The Absorber”, soaks up water, does not smear, removes dirt, washable, and can be put up wet.

19. I owe this one to American Rod Smith. Some rods don’t have bait holders or the one that you have breaks. AR has a hole in the trigger for their rods. Just drill you a hold in yours and then file the edges down, bingo, always there, never breaks either.

20. Drop shot rigs – Use a wide rubber band around the butt of the rod, wrap it a couple of times and then when you are thru fishing just pull up a band and insert your weight and you are good to go.

21. Spare prop/Spare Hub – We spend all that money on baits/rods/reels. This has been a life saver many a times. Get a spare one, don’t worry about performance, just as long as it gets you back. Be sure to have a spare of whatever goes with the prop as well, like a nut, washer, cotter pin etc.

22. Aluminum wheels – Need to check those lugs regularly. Especially if you have dust covers. I had one wheel come lose one time and thank goodness for the dust cover. I use loctite, not the permanent one and put a couple of drops inside the nut. That away I can still break the lug nut off if necessary to replace the tire.

23. Ring Free Users- It does not come with a measuring device, which I think is [censored], so I use the old Stabil bottle, just pour it all in and now you can pre-measure the amount.

24. When I do a decarb on my engine – I keep my old spark plugs hand and use them during the decarb so not to mess up the new spark plugs.

25. Electronics – I buy one of those little spray bottles from walmart and put windex, Ammonia free, and put a couple of paper towels in a Ziploc back in the boat. Keep them in the glove box for when I need to clean off the screens.

26. Pair of Dikes in boat for when you get hooked and the barb is all the way thru, cut the hook and pull through. Works very well when by yourself. Done this a few times. Damn whites LOL

27. Those cover plates that cover up your holes of the boat so you can get to the wires for electronics and stuff, like on your bow. How many of you have stripped out the holes and have to use a bigger screw? Well, you don’t have any more. You know how the old method was to use a sliver of wood to put in the screw hole so the screw would hold, especially on door hinges? Well, just use a zip tie. Yes push it through and zip it up. The screw will now hold and be as good as new.

28. The washers that the screws go thru on the boat and how the paint has faded, typically black? Use a sharpie to color them black again. Don’t like that? Then use black nail polish.

29. Need lunch for next day or snack when you are away from home? How many of you hardly ever finish your meal? Well I always keep some freezer (thicker) Ziploc bags. Bingo put leftovers in bag, like fajitas and tortillas, or a roll and left over steak. You may not do it all the time, but the opportunity is there at times.

If you need clarification for any, just let me know.

Posted By: FisherMen

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GarySHO
I do my backing a little different. I spool up about half a spool of old line. I then take black electrical tape and cover that line up, I stick it to the old line and use the reel handle to reel it up really tight. I then tie my regular line around that. Now I have about a half a spool of line, which keeps the birdnests down, less line waste and I keep the spool full because thats where your gear ratio is.

I have done this in the past and it works just like you said. Helps especially on the "professional overruns". grin

One thing I found though... you can get down to your knot pretty quick if you have a smaller spool or if you are over half full before putting the tape on. I used old line for a little over a 1/3 of the spool, put the tape on, and then put on new line. This will all depend on what size spool and what size line you are putting on... each reel may be different.

Great, great tip Gary!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:27 PM

Wow lots of good stuff thanks for posting SkeeterDon!!!!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:29 PM

your welcome Monte, hope I did not bogg it down to bad LOL

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
your welcome Monte, hope I did not bogg it down to bad LOL

Not at all those were some great tips and a lot of effort to type all of that!!!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 05:56 PM

i tend to type in word then copy and past, when I am doing long posts because I have been screwed before LOL.

Hey looky there another tip. hahahah

Posted By: Alwims

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 06:18 PM

27. Those cover plates that cover up your holes of the boat so you can get to the wires for electronics and stuff, like on your bow. How many of you have stripped out the holes and have to use a bigger screw? Well, you don’t have any more. You know how the old method was to use a sliver of wood to put in the screw hole so the screw would hold, especially on door hinges? Well, just use a zip tie. Yes push it through and zip it up. The screw will now hold and be as good as new.

SkeeterDon, That has got to be the best tip I have ever heard of. You Da Man. Thanks

Posted By: jbassman

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 06:24 PM

I tip is to put gas in the boat when you get close to where you are fishing,, that way you are not pulling that extra weight of fuel.. saves a few MPG.
I also took a zip tie strap and put it in my Basscat livewell, pull it shut until you have a 2 inch size opening then my cull rings are clipped to the zipp tie,

They are always where i need them ,when i need them. They stay there all the time. Been doing this for years.

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 06:38 PM

I keep a floormat in the boat so when i get out on a bank or something and get my shoes muddy i wipe off my feet on the mat, then shake it out over the side of the boat and that keeps me from getting mud all over the boat.

Posted By: Crazy Cuban

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 06:44 PM

GO FISHING WITH PAC.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 06:53 PM

5. Treble type baits, like topwaters and crankbatis, always getting tangled up with the other rods. I use those hair clips that are 3-4 inches long and you can get them anywhere. I buy mine from the dollar store and can get 4-5 for $1. Borrow some from your wife or girlfriend. When I am on the deck of the boat and I pull one off I just attach it to the trolling motor wires and they have never come off. My dad taught me this one.

I don't fully understand this one- Could you explain? Great stuff guys

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 08:03 PM

This is what I am talking about:

Hair Clip

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 08:12 PM

Less time you spend on TFF, the more time you have for FISHING!! HAHA

Posted By: AdanV

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Stan Browning
Fish your strength's,not what everyone say's is producing fish,in the long run you will have more confidence and catch more fish by fishing your strength's.

+1K

Posted By: AdanV

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Stan Browning

+1K

Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 09:46 PM

For shallow spawning fish that are very spooky, especially clear water, when you get too close with the boat... Try this;

Take some golf balls with you next time; white, flouresent yellow or orange. Spot the bed... pitch a ball about 2-4 feet one side or the other, then back off.. wait and you'd be surprised how well you can see that ball, even if you cant see the bed!!!

Works REALLY Well in Clearer water and you can back off quite a ways to make the fish feel more comfortable...

You can even take a ball retriever with you to pick them up after you catch the fish.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 10:04 PM

This is what I am talking about:

Hair Clip

Got it- Great idea- Thanks

Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 10:29 PM

I bought a golf ball retriever that extends to about 16ft, and cut off the top half the round part to form a u shaped end,I set my snagged line in the u and shove it down to towards the hung lurer and Im able to push the lurer from behind rocks without getting my boat in so shallow it gets banged up on the rocky shore. Cost:$ 9 and I've save over a hundred dollars worth of baits .When not in use I telescope it back in to about 3ft long.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 10:37 PM

Keep em coming- This youngster is learning

Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 10:44 PM

I keep an emergency heater I made in the boat incase someone falls overboard in cold water or wind up getting stranded after dark in the cold. I took a 1pound coffee can and stick a whole roll of toilet paper in it(it will fit just right). Get a bottle of rubbing alcohol and pour the whole thing in the can. Put the plastic lid on. The toilet paper will soak up the alcohol and will light easily if you need it.

Posted By: onthebank

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Husker
Fish out of a little bass buster with a 30 lb. trolling motor like I do and you'll have the best gas mileage of any boat on the lake. rolfmao rolfmao

+100!

Posted By: Robert Bingham

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/09/12 11:05 PM

Use a dremel tool to put your own serial# on all of your rods & reels. I use my initials, and then sequencial numbers behind that (RDB001, RDB002, etc). If your stuff is ever stolen, atleast you can positively identify each rod & reel. I have a log (make/model, & my ser#'s) of all my stuff in the safe.

I also use these serial numbers, and a seperate log to track what line is on each reel, when it was put on, and any other maintenance info for that particular reel has been performed.

Posted By: nb_one

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/10/12 12:48 AM

23. Ring Free Users- It does not come with a measuring device, which I think is [censored], so I use the old Stabil bottle, just pour it all in and now you can pre-measure the amount.

Lots of great stuff! I especially like ^^^ #23. This has burned my behind from the beginning! Tired of carrying around a measuring cup. Just plain messy.

Thanks Monte for starting this thread!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/10/12 05:19 AM

Awesome responses thanks for the tips lots of really useful stuff!!!

Another thing I've done in an effort to be more efficient is to stop carrying every bait I own in the boat!!! I got a large soft sided canvas tool box like they sell at Lowes or Home depot it has a divider down the middle and pockets all the way around, it fits perfect in my Skeeter storage box. I put all my baits by type for example worms, tubes, senkos, etc in 1 gallon zip lock bags then keep them in the tool bag. If I want to throw a Senko I grab the Senko bag it has an assortment of all my different Senko baits same goes for everything else. When I get to the house I have one big bag to unload and my go to box and the boat is empty. No worries about somebody breaking in and stealing all my stuff been there and done that!!!

Posted By: fishinfoo2

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/12/12 12:04 AM

i started making my own jigs, i like the eakins jewel jigs alot so i started buying the material to make them, they are 6 bucks for 2 jigs, i can make the same identical jig for 1.10 each, best part is catchin fish on something you made, its a good feeling.

Posted By: ToadHooker

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/12/12 12:50 AM

Some of you guys watched alot of MacGyver! Great tips guys!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/12/12 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: ToadHooker
Some of you guys watched alot of MacGyver! Great tips guys!

I've done more MacGyver repairs on the water than I care to remember, mostly on trolling motors...

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 01:57 PM

bump

Thanks again, Monte...great idea to start this thread..

Posted By: J-SPENCER

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 02:27 PM

I saved a ton of money last year when I started pouring my own plastics. I can get approx 400 worms out of a $40 gallon of plastic, compared to $5.00 for a bag of 10 worms. Initial start up cost was about $350 for the molds, colors, flake, scents and plastic. It easily paid for itself last year.

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 02:31 PM

I saved $350 last year by switching to Geico.

(Really)

Posted By: RayBob

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 02:34 PM

Just some quickies ...

1. When fishing "weightless" baits, like flukes, I carry pieces of stripped copper wire in 10, 12, & 14 guages and insert little cutoffs (use the dykes) and insert mid body if I need more fall on the bait. When cut with the dykes you get a sharp tip.

2. The above works on wacky rigging too if you want a nose first fall.

3. Tube fishermen, I use the little compressible foam insert hearing protectors to stuff inside your tube when carolina fishing them so your lure will float just above the grass ... works best on short leaders in short grass. Fill your bait with scent before plugging it. In a pinch you can use styrofoam packing peanuts too.

4. If you know someone in the medical field get some syringes (I like the 10cc ones) with an gauge needle (pink hubs on this size) and fill with your favorite liquid fish attractant. Inject the attractant in your soft baits, the needle makes a tract that will exude a little juice as it bumps along and also when a fish clamps down on it. Watch out ... these needles are SUPER sharp.

5.This one takes some moxy ... the same 18 gauge needle can follow a hook shank down to the barb on a hook, cover the barb, then allows the hook to come out the way it went in without catching meat. (Stick your finger in some ice water 1st to deaden it some).

Posted By: Trickster

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 03:29 PM

Don't forget the baby wipes.

Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 08:53 PM

Thanks for the great post Skeeter Don.

For moisture inside hatch's, Buy a bag of the Silicone kitty litter , nab a pair of your wife's pantyhose. (Not when she's around) fill to 5 or 6 inches, cut tie it off. Repeat until you have enough for all the closed spaces. This will help to soak up any excess moisture & help to stop mil-due in the hatch's. You should be able to fill & tie off enough silicone Pantyhose for every hatch in your boat with just 1 pair. Just don't get caught.

Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 09:01 PM

Rube it sounds like you may have been caught. Have you been over to Irving lately and saw how much it has changed?

Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 09:23 PM

You had some good ones Skeeter Don!

Posted By: Leever

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 09:26 PM

Get rid of your bass boat and switch to a kayak.

Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/14/12 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: armadillo joe
Rube it sounds like you may have been caught. Have you been over to Irving lately and saw how much it has changed?

Yeah Joe, Mom still lives there. It's a pretty sad place now.

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: YellowMagic
bump

Thanks again, Monte...great idea to start this thread..

Thanks YellowMagic usually when I post something it goes straight to the basement!!!

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 05:42 AM

Zip ties are a must for all kinds of on the water repairs one thing I've found them handy for is when changing boat batteries I zip tie all the wires together as I pull them off of each post makes it easy and quick when it comes to reconnecting.

Posted By: fish 4 5

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 12:30 PM

I changed to tungsten weights several years ago and figured I had hundreds of lead bullet weights . I bought a box of cheap paperclips and turned them into drop shot weights. Straighten out most of the paperclip, insert thru bottom of weight, pull tight and make a loop around your needlenose pliers, cut off excess. Get fancy and you can powder coat.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 01:13 PM

I know that on my GMC the bolts that connect the hood to bracket are the same as the bolt that fits the big pin that goes thru my power tilt trim. LOL. Ive had that bolt come loose on three different yamaha motors. You want to be sure to ck it and use locktite if it ever gets loose.

Posted By: Bank beater 1

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 02:02 PM

On jigs and skirted baits i use a slightly dif item to keep skirt on. I started by using cheap copper solder from hardware store, when i told a friend about this introduced me to one better.ngo to lawn garden section they have wire for plants thin stuff and plastic coated in black or green. Cut to length and wrap in place of rubber band.

This next one can save you a bunch of money banana

The best way to save money on a guide trip. Go to the lake on a thursday or friday morning. Wait at the amp fr the guide to show up then follow him around all day with a gps. Makes for a great prefishing tactic. When you from spot to spot stay about 200 yrds out and use The binocs to check the bait colors. I also reccomend doing some google and such to make sure you are following the right guide. Requires a lot of work and research to pull this off correctly. And man those guys burn some gas so it costs you some money to follow them around but should still be way cheaper than paying for it. And you get to do it from the comfort of your own boat.

stir

Posted By: Bank beater 1

Re: Let's Hear Your Best Tips that Save Time, Money, and help to Catch more Bass!!!! - 02/15/12 03:47 PM

One more real one for ya. Keep an epoxy product in ur oat similar to jbweld called water weld. Works great for fabricating some parts in a bind. Had to make a bracket for gearshift one time

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum