Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex?

Posted By: NickHasty

Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 09:04 PM

Has anybody had one of these bushing come out of hinge on their trolling motor mount?

the aluminum arm is real sloppy now when i put my motor down. Easy Fix?

Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 09:10 PM

Just had that happen a few months ago. I sent my entire mount assembly back to minn kota. They replaced everything. Quickly too.

Posted By: Bass Johnson

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 09:17 PM

just take it to on site repair by lake fork Marina. If its under warranty they should fix u right up. if not their rates and work is the best I've seen

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 09:36 PM

thanks bass johnson. I apologize for not getting back to you on the humminbird. I posted it up in the for sale/trade section w/ pics

Posted By: Texguy02

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 10:42 PM

Seen it happen a bunch, mine did it once and my partner has had it happen twice.

Posted By: big mike

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 11:24 PM

Just had mine repaired by lake fork on site repair. Warranty covered it. Exact same thing happened to mine. Fixed for now but don't see what would stop from happening again.

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/02/12 11:58 PM

kind of frustrating for such a good motor...im not the original owner on mine...so i guess ill fork money, you think you could DIY

Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 12:11 AM

Yes... had to use steel stick to repair my old one since repair center did not have this WEAK item in stock... Supposed to have some in soon...

Foretrex is pretty easy to tear apart and repair yourself and once you do it I have learned to buy 2 of everything that breaks.

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 01:28 AM

there is one on either side. I hope the other one doesnt fail as well!

Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:13 AM

Change them both out at same time...

Posted By: GaryReynolds

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: John Anderson
Change them both out at same time...

Talked with Minn lots and they sent both sides on mine along with new hardware u need a kick stand on yours! I didn't have one but got one & haven't had a problem since

Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:19 AM

Make sure to tighten all of the screws and nuts on them from time to time, they like to come loose.

Posted By: texaspan

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:40 AM

minnkota replaced the hole arm. fast

Posted By: soonerbassn

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:29 PM

Forgive my ignorance I have 101# fortrex and do not know where that part came from but if you can install it your self I will buy some spares. thanks Roger

Posted By: toledo freak

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 02:37 PM

thats what happens to a troll motor thats 75% plastic, i kick myself everyday for going with a fortrex on this boat

Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 03:08 PM

ok toledo, i'll bite.

i'm about as hard on a trolling motor as a person can be. my fortrex has been put to the test the last year. when i beach my boat, i drop the tm on the bank as my anchor, use it as a tie off when pulled up on a boat ramp as well, have banged into numerous stumps, laydowns, concrete and all kinds of rocks, have ground up grass, limbs and gravel. it has pulled me into and out of solid matted hydrilla on hubbard creek. i have not had one single problem. the flexible shaft and the breakaway system works perfect when running into things.

on the other hand, i've owned mg before too and never will have another. between the broken cable ends, burned up boards in the head and the foot, and of course, can't forget about bent shafts, the mg does not even come close to meeting my needs for a tm. i could see mg being ok for clear lakes with no timber, but for the lakes i fish, it's minn kota hands down.

Posted By: toledo freak

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 04:34 PM

more plastic to ya smile

Posted By: rducky625

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 05:33 PM

I agree with bigfishtx. I fished MG for 35 years and the last 4 I had were total pieces of [censored]. I talked to MG several times and was told that that was as good as it was going to get. I am on my second Fortrex now and have not had the first problem out of them. I only wish that I had changed years ago!

Posted By: Cajunsmitty

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 05:54 PM

I just don't get where you guys get that Minn Kota is the best thing since sliced bread?? First of all, I wanna know if y'all are comparing a fortrex to a MG Tour Edition 109? If so, then I don't see how you can even say they are comparable. My last boat had a 109 Tour Edition and my new one has the 101 Fortrex and I HATE it. First of all it sits damn near 2' off the front of the deck like a bridge truss. Quiet?? Yeah right, that thing makes a popping and squeaking sound everytime you turn. Powerful? Negative, that 109 Tour Edition will leave that fortrex in the wind. Don't believe me, GPS it!!! I live in south Louisiana, there is no harsher environment than these stump filled bayous and flats. Not to mention the almighty Red River and Toledo Bend. In 3 years with my Tour Edition I can count on one hand I jammed it so hard I had to crank up the outboard to get it to release. In 4 months with this Fortrex I've already done it 4 times. It hits a stump and pretty much just locks up. That MG would hit it, fold under and the strength of the shaft would pretty much bounce it off the stump. I don't see this thing taking the beating over the years like my MG did. I know everybody has an opinion so that's my take on the Fortrex. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place. wink

Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/03/12 07:20 PM

cajun, no, haven't seen a mg te tested yet, been in boats with them but not in rough conditions to compare to the mk 101.

my mg view was settled years ago with 2 bad experiences.

first one, hung up in the back of kickapoo on palestine, burnt up the board (2nd time) trying to get out of the shallow water. couldn't put the big motor down and ended up having to toss the anchor out and pull the boat until i got to where i could put the big motor down.

second one sealed the deal. brand new boat, first tournament in it on rayburn. get to a hump that was holding fish, drop the tm hit the switch and dang near fall in when it spins about 180 degrees on full throttle. cable end broke. no problem, just toss the anchor right? i toss it, tie it off, throw my c-rig out, get bit go to set the hook and the boat moves up and sideways (big wind blowing). miss the fish and notice rope hanging off the boat, pull it up and no more anchor, lol. came undone.

not once since i've gone to minn kota has my anchor rope come undone.

Posted By: rducky625

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/04/12 01:39 AM

I have three tour editions sitting in my garage right now 2 109s and an 82. I won't even spend the money to get them repaired to sale because I don't want someone to end up with the problems that I had with them. I have fished all over La and if you want to see some tough stumps come over to Lake Fork. I will put them up against anything you have, however, I do my best not hit stumps with my trolling motor. As you said everyone has an opinion and ours do not have to be the same.

Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 02/04/12 01:58 PM

I use mine for a living, and I will never own another fourtrex mount. I still love minnkota, but I had so.many bushings.go out and broken bolt heads on that mount, that I bought a plain mount.

Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 03:35 PM

Where does that piece go? I havent had mine fall out, but do they wear out? My Fortrex mount just started making some noise.
Posted By: big mike

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 05:58 PM

I really like my Fortrex but that same bushing has broke 4 times on mine in two years. Im so tired of getting it fixed every six months. I dont know if its a design flaw or what but is a common problem on the Fortrex. I am going to contact Minn Kota and see what they will do about it. My warranty will run out soon and i shouldnt have to fix this every six months. There are 2 of these bushings and its always the one one on the outside edge closest to the water, that breaks.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 06:16 PM

A pack of lies I tell ya! Everyone I've ever talked to says MK's never break!! bang
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: big mike
I really like my Fortrex but that same bushing has broke 4 times on mine in two years. Im so tired of getting it fixed every six months. I dont know if its a design flaw or what but is a common problem on the Fortrex. I am going to contact Minn Kota and see what they will do about it. My warranty will run out soon and i shouldnt have to fix this every six months. There are 2 of these bushings and its always the one one on the outside edge closest to the water, that breaks.

if you don't get any satisfaction from MK.. stop by my shop next time your in the area, and we'll take a look at the problem for you.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
ok toledo, i'll bite.

i'm about as hard on a trolling motor as a person can be. my fortrex has been put to the test the last year. when i beach my boat, i drop the tm on the bank as my anchor, use it as a tie off when pulled up on a boat ramp as well, have banged into numerous stumps, laydowns, concrete and all kinds of rocks, have ground up grass, limbs and gravel. it has pulled me into and out of solid matted hydrilla on hubbard creek. i have not had one single problem. the flexible shaft and the breakaway system works perfect when running into things.

on the other hand, i've owned mg before too and never will have another. between the broken cable ends, burned up boards in the head and the foot, and of course, can't forget about bent shafts, the mg does not even come close to meeting my needs for a tm. i could see mg being ok for clear lakes with no timber, but for the lakes i fish, it's minn kota hands down.
Me too.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/28/12 10:04 PM

Their just a $100 bucks are so higher than a Tour ,just buy another one.It should break while under warranty in a year or so. Have run the tour and never ,I mean never had a problem with them and have cut more wood than a Echo chain saw, I'll sick with MG.
Posted By: Lee E

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/29/12 12:30 AM

Call Minn Kota, they will send you replacement parts for FREE most likely. I've had it happen twice now. they are making the screws out of harder steel now and hopefully will eliminate this issue.

it's an easy fix. 10-15 minutes
Posted By: joeycan24

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 11/30/12 04:28 AM

This happened to me at the lewisville open. The minn Kota guys put on a brand new mount for me.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/23/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: big mike

Design flaw I have replaced mine many many many times
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/23/17 11:02 PM

The guy I know that repairs trolling motors says the majority of his business is Minn Kota. Basically, if it works for you, that's all that matters. We burn down 2 sets of batteries on MG routinely in the spring each day on Rayburn and Toledo. Stumps, grass, etc and have have zero issues with Tour model.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 05:09 PM

I have a fortrex, what is this part called, where does it go? I want to make sure I am not sol because I don't have replacements.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
The guy I know that repairs trolling motors says the majority of his business is Minn Kota. Basically, if it works for you, that's all that matters. We burn down 2 sets of batteries on MG routinely in the spring each day on Rayburn and Toledo. Stumps, grass, etc and have have zero issues with Tour model.

this
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

this

Of course he repairs more Minn Kota stuff....it's what EVERYONE is using. Lol. That, and they are WORTH fixing.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 07:17 PM

Do y'all realize Jake Shannon dredged this up from 2012???
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 07:25 PM

Hardest thing on that mount is rough water and trailering.

Invest $100 and get a T-H Marine Troll-Tamer, it will cut down on the stress on that pivot point while running the lake and trailering.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/24/17 10:56 PM

Happened to me. When you see little pieces of that bushing laying around your boat it's hard to figure what they are.:-) Guy with little trolling motor shop on 515 @ Fork fixed me up pretty quick & cheap.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/25/17 03:17 PM

I bought a Fortrex from a guy from Falcon. Guy said it was in excellent condition. Had a guy pick it up for me. Mounted the TM, pulled the rope and had a full 1 inch play in the bracket. One of the bushings was gone, the other was 1/2 gone. I love Fortrex, not MinnKota's fault I bought it sight unseen from a liar.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/15/20 09:59 PM

Does the entire rear pivot bracket(s) need to be replaced or just these bushings?

Thanks
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/15/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cajunsmitty
I just don't get where you guys get that Minn Kota is the best thing since sliced bread?? First of all, I wanna know if y'all are comparing a fortrex to a MG Tour Edition 109? If so, then I don't see how you can even say they are comparable. My last boat had a 109 Tour Edition and my new one has the 101 Fortrex and I HATE it. First of all it sits damn near 2' off the front of the deck like a bridge truss. Quiet?? Yeah right, that thing makes a popping and squeaking sound everytime you turn. Powerful? Negative, that 109 Tour Edition will leave that fortrex in the wind. Don't believe me, GPS it!!! I live in south Louisiana, there is no harsher environment than these stump filled bayous and flats. Not to mention the almighty Red River and Toledo Bend. In 3 years with my Tour Edition I can count on one hand I jammed it so hard I had to crank up the outboard to get it to release. In 4 months with this Fortrex I've already done it 4 times. It hits a stump and pretty much just locks up. That MG would hit it, fold under and the strength of the shaft would pretty much bounce it off the stump. I don't see this thing taking the beating over the years like my MG did. I know everybody has an opinion so that's my take on the Fortrex. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place. wink

Originally Posted by Cajunsmitty

I agree mount sucks . Think I’m going back to MG when the tour pro gets released.
J D
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 01:33 AM

It takes about 30 minutes to change both pivot bushings. Definitely not an "end of the world" failure.

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc57
It takes about 30 minutes to change both pivot bushings. Definitely not an "end of the world" failure.

Hey Bryan, does it just require replacing this whole kit or just the bushings in the kit?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcREu7ln7QAMpYZAvhvc2Z-hk6Lgn1uDRgwd2lblywjHNE5IpUBdQMiCURELiAm7Ga2ezgIgbPQuP2bubyqLKR7Djzj_SslepIgrvC5And0PrALdCbBCQlL8EA&usqp=CAc
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 03:01 AM

I replaced mine once , they are a buck twenty-five apiece.
fifteen minutes to replace
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 12:57 PM

I’ve done this to my Ultrex twice...and found a chunck of bushing on the carpet again this past weekend. Time for set number three. It’s almost like an annual maintenance.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by joebass2

Hey Bryan, does it just require replacing this whole kit or just the bushings in the kit?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcREu7ln7QAMpYZAvhvc2Z-hk6Lgn1uDRgwd2lblywjHNE5IpUBdQMiCURELiAm7Ga2ezgIgbPQuP2bubyqLKR7Djzj_SslepIgrvC5And0PrALdCbBCQlL8EA&usqp=CAc

You can usually get by with just the bushings. When I do mine I order the kit since I'm going to be in that far anyway. Some of the guys that are saying their bushings are going out constantly should probably replace their pivots too. You can get the kit from these guys and they ship pretty fast. https://northlandmarine.com/collect...n-kota-pivot-bracket-repair-kit-pbrepkit
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 02:20 PM

I fished MG for years and tried an MK since the repair shops said both brands had about the same repair rate. Never had a problem with an MG except a steering cable broke once after 12 years. My MK burned up circuit boards annually, Bushings wore out frequently. Lower unit leaked and had to be replaced. I use a 20 year old MG now and have never repaired anything. As the repair shops advised me, they have about the same repair record. Some units just perform better than others.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 02:29 PM

How in the world is this thread still alive! shocked

OP posted this 8 years ago, then it was bumped 3 years ago and now its back!

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by joebass2

You can usually get by with just the bushings. When I do mine I order the kit since I'm going to be in that far anyway. Some of the guys that are saying their bushings are going out constantly should probably replace their pivots too. You can get the kit from these guys and they ship pretty fast. https://northlandmarine.com/collect...n-kota-pivot-bracket-repair-kit-pbrepkit

Thank you Sir.

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 04:07 PM

This is a good topic! I ended up having good luck ordering parts from Minn Kota and fixing it myself. It was a relatively Easy fix.

Mine was mounted on a champion, and it stuck out over the gunnel, which didn’t allow the “kickstand” to be used. The metal frame on the mount really took a beating over time, Eventually bending slightly, which would shred those Bushing...
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 04:12 PM

I have a fortrex, where is this part in the mount? You happen to have a pic of where it goes?

Re: Anybody ever had this happen to their Minn Kota Fortrex? - 03/16/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by redskeet100
I have a fortrex, where is this part in the mount? You happen to have a pic of where it goes?

Here you go... https://www.fhcoutdoors.com/how-to-replace-minn-kota-fortrex-pivot-bushings-and-brackets/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum