Texas Fishing Forum

To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat...

Posted By: dakicka

To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:05 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a pretty decent 19 foot Bass Tracker and I just bought a Sony Marine stereo system which has 2 'water resistant' 6.5" speakers and a nice head unit with CD, AM/FM and MP3/Aux functions.

I'm debating on installing it or possibly returning it and just bringing an iPod out with some portable speakers from time to time. I wouldn't use the stereo much while fishing, or at least I don't think I would. I got it more for the times I take friends out who aren't hardcore into fishing like me and just to cruise around more low key and enjoy being on the water.

Anyway, do you think its beneficial to have an installed system like what I bought? Will the speakers hold up with morning dew and light rain? Would you install them under console or maybe just one on starbord and port inner area at floor level? Or would it make sense to install them protected underneath the single console? Lastly, would a portable speaker setup with iPod or cell phone make more sense?

Thanks for feedback and hopefully you have first hand experience with this.

Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:19 PM

I put in left the boat to park the truck when I got back there was a very nice looking young lady in a bikini standing by my boat . She says is your boat playing limp biscut I said yes it is. She hollars at her friend HEY I'm GOING WITH HIM. Just sayin

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:27 PM

Tunes are good! Cures the boredom!

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:31 PM

Just as long as you play a heavy dose of Led Zeppelin you r cool

Not Kuntry Musik

Yee Haw...........

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:34 PM

I guess the angle I was hoping for was to find out if the speakers would foul up wig weather and light rain and if yes it would probably make more sense just to bring iPod with portable speakers each time. So what's your thoughts on that? I just don't want to start cutting and drilling and then be remorseful of the install haha.

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:39 PM

For me I find it hard to get good radio reception on some lakes.

Go with either a satellite Radio, or one that can play iPods and listen to the tunes you like.......

Posted By: Kevin Sharp

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:40 PM

My speakers are installed on the inside walls and have been since 1995. They still work fine. My stereo, however, is installed in my rod locker with the wiring and back sticking thru under my console. Ive had no problems.

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:43 PM

Agree with red, some tool or ac/dc to keep the blood flowing! All you really need is an iPod jack with powered speakers.

Posted By: fishnftw

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:51 PM

well we have the sonic hub system in the boat and it does make the runs across the lake a little more enjoyable and its a good time when we take the fam out for some sandies or joy riding and also a plus to stop eat sm lunch in the boat and listen to the sound of my heart break during football season as the cowboys blow another 4th quarter lead

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:52 PM

You can do like SkeeterRonnie and Keeb do.

They ride around the lake together, holding each others hand. While SkeeterRonnie sings Air Supply song to Keeb. Songs like :"I am all out of love" and "Lost in Love"

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 04:56 PM

Lol! Are you reliving your dreams? Deflecting your true desires? It's ok, one day you may be able to actually win a club level tourney, too smile I'll sign an autographed picture for you next time we meet smile you can hang it on your fridge smile please mark out my pho e number though, do t want your wife calling me wink

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: X-rayed Fish
please mark out my pho e number though, do t want your wife calling me wink

I will make sure my wife has your number when I go fishing, she may need a good laugh............

Posted By: J-2

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:07 PM

I thought you were fishing today Red.

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:13 PM

Work today, sadly the RedRanger $100 money tree in the backyard is empty, I am waiting for spring time for them to grow again

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: J-2
I thought you were fishing today Red.

Plus my boat still n shop getting carpet done, Said Wednesday is expected date to finish.......

Posted By: charlieecho

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:45 PM

I have an ipad touch and I just turn the volume all the way up on it and use it's speakers. Good volume and it's portable. Can't go wrong there.

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 05:54 PM

I have the sony marine stereo and speakers in my boat, it's held up great.

I used to carry a little portable radio from time t time before i had one in the boat, this is much better..

Posted By: AuburnTiger Bassin34

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 06:02 PM

Clarion has a nice marine head unit. Reads I-POD like none I have ever seen, and I love /////Alpine.

JBL also has an enclosed 10in sub (Marine) that is incredible.

Posted By: just plain bill

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 06:08 PM

i fish to get awayfrom it all. i enjoy the sounds of nature...birds flying overhead, fish breaking the surface, seadoos racing by...

Posted By: James_C

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 08:49 PM

If our worried about the speakers holding up, I wouldn't be. We had weather proof speakers installed in our boat in 98' and finally replacd them this year. The speakers are great for family trips or just those times for crusing on the water. Also they are already on your boat. So you don't have to make room for other speakers or worry about wires or having them broken or kicked over the edge. If you've got em and like music go for it. Our boat is dual console and both speakers are installed on the outter walls just under the consoles. the stereo is in a weather proof case and installed right beside the control panel to the right of the driver.

Posted By: kirbydog

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 09:06 PM

Guess I'm old school. Don't want to hear any music when I'm fishing. I go out there to enjoy nature and all its sounds. Don't need to trn my boat into a mosh pit.

Posted By: 2Gs

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 10:33 PM

I think I am going to get the Lowrance Sonic Hub.

Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: charlieecho
I have an ipad touch and I just turn the volume all the way up on it and use it's speakers. Good volume and it's portable. Can't go wrong there.

+1. A friend of mine brings his and it's great.
I would be afraid that if I installed speakers on my boat the fish might not like the music!

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/29/12 11:44 PM

thanks for all the feedback guys. it was very helpful. I will probably wind up just installing it and going for it as there's some days I want to be fishing, but also watching NFL Football games or NCAA Football games... Now I'll be able to have both haha.

But I do agree with some of the posters- I DO myself actually like enjoying the nature, sounds, peace of fishing. But sometimes a little football listening to or some heavy music hole shotting off the ramp on way to the first spot would be cool!

Posted By: madermu

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 12:02 AM

I reluctantly installed a stereo and some speakers. The wife and kids wanted some music for the 1 time a year they went out, lol.
But I have really enjoyed having it......I really liked being ble to listen to the pre and post game shows while on the water. It was really nice to have while u pack everything up after the trip as well. Seems like I spend more time getting things organized for the next trip since the installation.

Dakicka, I returned your pm.

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: madermu

Dakicka, I returned your pm.

My apologies, just saw it now. Will reply. Thank You.

Posted By: madermu

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 12:35 AM

No problem...just didn't know if u had seen it...

Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 01:14 AM

I just use a jawbone with my i-phone

Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 01:21 AM

Tunes are good

Posted By: Pitdad

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 01:56 AM

Doesn't it scare the fish?

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitdad

nope

Posted By: Trickster

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
Originally Posted By: Pitdad

nope

Totally agree.

Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 03:39 AM

I am still getting the courage up to cut holes in a brand new boat, but I am close and really would dig listening to games and tunes during hot summer days.

Posted By: Caribou

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 04:18 AM

As long as the install is clean and functional, it can't hurt.

Posted By: TxNitro288

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 04:21 AM

I have a fish and ski and it came with a stereo, which of course went on the fritz and I removed it. I have to say that on some of those summer nights while fishing and listening to a Rangers game were pretty relaxing. I missed my stereo. BPS, during their boat show has run a special, buy a stereo get it installed for free. Needless to say that motivated me. The other night after picking my boat up, I sat in the drive way on the boat listening to tunes and cleaning and going through tackle......I am glad I decided to have it put in.

Posted By: DUNCAN553

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 04:31 AM

I say go for it. I did on my 20i Skeeter and love it. If I want to listen to nature I turn it off. It is great to have when at the storage shed getting things ready or working on the boat or after fishing cleaning at the ramp. Also great for the family, they enjoy the days on the lake more. I will pm you some pics of my set up.

Posted By: Legend08

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 06:11 AM

My previous boat was a 1989 Cajun Fish N' Ski that I bought used for $3K and I installed a Marine radio in. Speakers lasted about a year, but the unit was still going strong when I sold the rig last Spring. But no way I will cut and drill to put one in my $30k Legend. I just take the Iphone speaker my wife bought me for Christmas (called Music Bullet I think) and pull up the Pandora app and alternate between "Outlaw Radio" and "Heavy Metal Radio". It has a rechargeable battery that lasts for hours.

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 11:20 AM

Noise, Hitting stumps with Trollling motor, shutting lid boxes, stomping in the boat don't distrub the bass at all for the most part.

Not sure when it comes to bed fishing, but most any other time not a problem......

Posted By: soonerbassn

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 02:56 PM

Was having the same dilemma but decided to go with a stereo to make those long no wake zones more enjoyable and just cruising looking for humps and drop offs. Did not want to cut holes so I got Polk box speakers. I also wanted to have weather band.

Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 03:57 PM

Why not go with some tunes in the boat dude. Always nice when tinkering with the boat on land and even while fishing in an area that the sound might not bother anyone else. Best to mount the unit and speekers where they will stay as dry as possible and still sound good.
I have 4 100 watt Jensens pushed by an amp and Sony Marine CD/MP3/am-fm tuner. Lots of opinions on whether or not music being played in a boat while fishing makes a difference in success. My opinion is that fish are curious and I have caught many a big fish while rocking out to my tunes.

Posted By: ChrisTexan

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 04:45 PM

My recommendation if concerned about "long-term" value, don't cut the glass, in my dual console, I put them on the sideboards under the consoles. These are just marine hardboard covered in carpet, so if down the road I wanted to hide the evidence, I could either simply recarpet (without cutting out the hole), or just simply pull the old boards, cut new ones, recarpet and replace.
This also keeps the speakers out of direct splash/rain/spray, although they aren't as clear up front, they get enough bounce off seats and such to be fine. (Since I installed originally for the wife fishing in back, for that purpose they are fine). Only time I've used them solo was for fishing reports during the last Berkley on Fork, otherwise I usually don't even put in the faceplate.

Posted By: TBS

Re: To Do or Not to Do? Install Stereo in Bass Boat... - 01/30/12 05:04 PM

I did not want to cut the glass on my 2006 Skeeter so I built two small speaker boxes and mounted them under the consol to the front wall. Never had any issues and they sound great. When done all I have to do is removed the screws and wire and you will never be able to tell they were there.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum