Texas Fishing Forum

Monticello

Posted By: Bassinamped

Monticello - 12/19/11 11:44 PM

Going to Monticello in the morning for the first time in a year. How's the fishing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted By: rock crawler

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 12:35 AM

A friend and I went yesterday and slayed'em. Over 30 in the boat within a few hours. Some small ones and quite a few healthy 3 to 6 pounders. Epic Day!

Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 12:54 AM

I've fished it a few days in the last month. throw drop-shots and jigs at the corners of the bridges. drag carolina rigs and spoons @ the discharge, I've heard rumor theres a good topwater bite early...Good Luck!

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 01:25 AM

I'll be there in the morning to! If you see a big sky electric boat say hi!

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 01:57 AM

Thanks guys. Does anyone know If it's been really crowded on weekdays?

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Alec Castonguay
I'll be there in the morning to! If you see a big sky electric boat say hi!
Will do!

Posted By: 357magag

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 02:06 AM

My buddy and I will try to be there in the morning to.
If you see a old little blue skeeter sd80 that is us stop by and see high.

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: 357magag
My buddy and I will try to be there in the morning to.
If you see a old little blue skeeter sd80 that is us stop by and see high.
Yes sir

Posted By: D Thomas

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty
I've fished it a few days in the last month. throw drop-shots and jigs at the corners of the bridges. drag carolina rigs and spoons @ the discharge, I've heard rumor theres a good topwater bite early...Good Luck!

thumb

Posted By: BaylorLipRipper

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 03:59 AM

I will be out there as well!! Skeeter fx20 with patriotic wrap and Skeeter bug. Come talk to me we can swap patterns. With this rain, throw a frog in smith creek EARLY

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 04:11 AM

Dude fix your signature

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Dude fix your signature
I'm guessing your talkin to me right? I dont know how to make it smaller.

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 04:40 AM

Please get rid of it till you do. You can adjust the pixels in pbotobucket

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Please get rid of it till you do. You can adjust the pixels in pbotobucket
Thank you! Much better!

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 04:54 AM

Thanks

Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 05:35 AM

Headed down there tomorrow as well, we will be in a red,white and blue Cat. Say hello if you see us...

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 02:13 PM

i prefer to back the boat up to you, trim the motor, and give it full throttle... wink MAKE IT RAIN ON DOUGIE!

Posted By: Mike1285

Re: Monticello - 12/20/11 02:14 PM

Coming from Lake Fork, what highway is the boat ramp on? Only been there one time......20 years ago.

Posted By: D Kissinger

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: rock crawler
A friend and I went yesterday and slayed'em. Over 30 in the boat within a few hours. Some small ones and quite a few healthy 3 to 6 pounders. Epic Day!

Wow! Ok fill me in on what you used. Me and a buddy went yesterday and managed only 3 fish. We threw everything from rattle traps to spinnerbaits to dd22's to jigs to carolina rigs. Caught 2 off spinners and one off the dd22. Didnt catch anything at the discharge nor did we see anyone catch anything.

We ended up cat fishing at the discharge and that made the 3 hour drive worth it. Caught 20 or so keepers and threw many others back.

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 03:08 AM

It was tough today! Usually do much better out there

Posted By: rock crawler

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: D Kissinger
Originally Posted By: rock crawler

Wow! Ok fill me in on what you used. Me and a buddy went yesterday and managed only 3 fish. We threw everything from rattle traps to spinnerbaits to dd22's to jigs to carolina rigs. Caught 2 off spinners and one off the dd22. Didnt catch anything at the discharge nor did we see anyone catch anything.

We ended up cat fishing at the discharge and that made the 3 hour drive worth it. Caught 20 or so keepers and threw many others back.

Almost everything we caught that day was at the discharge. We just had the right spot at the right time. There were three to four other boats there and we were the only ones consistantly catching fish. As a matter of fact, one of the guys in another boat jokingly told us "will you stop doing that".

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike1285
Coming from Lake Fork, what highway is the boat ramp on? Only been there one time......20 years ago.

Can someone tell me what highway the boat ramp is on?

Posted By: Dave Redington

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 01:45 PM

Fm 127, but you'll need to turn east down a county rd to get to the ramp. Can't remember the rd #, but it's SW of the 127 bridge. I believe there's a white sign saying Monticello Park on the east side of 127

Posted By: buda13

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 03:37 PM

IMO this lake is fishes more like Fairfield than I ever realized. You can fish all day with a few bites until you find one of those "magic spots"... then you can sit in one area and load the boat. Keep pluggin away, you guys will figure em out!

Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13

IMO this lake is fishes more like Fairfield than I ever realized. You can fish all day with a few bites until you find one of those "magic spots"... then you can sit in one area and load the boat. Keep pluggin away, you guys will figure em out!

Speaking of Fairfield, is there a bass left in that lake? It has been completley ignored it seems for over two years now!

Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dar1
Fm 127, but you'll need to turn east down a county rd to get to the ramp. Can't remember the rd #, but it's SW of the 127 bridge. I believe there's a white sign saying Monticello Park on the east side of 127

This is correct. Look for the sign. The road is narrow and you won't think that it could possibly be the right one (I know from experience)

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dar1

Thanks Dar 1

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 10:56 PM

Thanks to you too adamat

Posted By: Allison1

Re: Monticello - 12/21/11 11:09 PM

I was there today with my daughter. There were about 20 boats out when we got there at 8.

Our day was kind of slow. One here, one there. Not a bad day for sure since I haven't had the time to fish lately. We had 4 nice fish around 4 pounds and several 2 to 3 pounds. We got to catch a couple on frogs so that was special.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum