Texas Fishing Forum

Shad in the Fall

Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 08:53 PM

This may seem like an elementary question , but why do a lot the shad migrate towards the backs of creeks in the fall???

Probably not important to fishing, but I've always wondered and there is no other place better for credible info than the TFF ...

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:01 PM

Oxygen-rich water and more protection from predators is offered in the form of shallow cover in the backs of creeks...they're fair game out there in the middle of the lake, where their only protection is in numbers (balling up)..

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:07 PM

And very important to fishing!

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:09 PM

When fishing shallow coves with shad flickering around, whatever you do, do not pitch a Black & blue Beaver in a spot where a fish has just taken a swat at some shad!

Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:12 PM

Shad eat primarily phytoplankton and zooplankton. As summer turns to fall, nutrients in the main lake are lessened and temperatures go down, putting a damper on plankton growth. In the shallow coves and creeks, warm sunny days can cause quick warm-ups, and the plankton can continue to bloom.

Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:37 PM

Spawn..........................................

Around April and around October normally depending on temp.

Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Frenzy
Shad eat primarily phytoplankton and zooplankton. As summer turns to fall, nutrients in the main lake are lessened and temperatures go down, putting a damper on plankton growth. In the shallow coves and creeks, warm sunny days can cause quick warm-ups, and the plankton can continue to bloom.

These are all the types of responses I am looking for , the scientific aspects like this are especially helpful. I'm trying to become a little more analytical on my approach to fishing. Trying to get away from the "because it's always been that way approach" and actually have the tools of all types of knowledge to think my way through fishing, especially when it gets tough..

Thanks and anymore responses are greatly appreciated...

Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

These are all the types of responses I am looking for , the scientific aspects like this are especially helpful. I'm trying to become a little more analytical on my approach to fishing. Trying to get away from the "because it's always been that way approach" and actually have the tools of all types of knowledge to think my way through fishing, especially when it gets tough..

Save your Time ....no hope for you!

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Fishing has always been tough for you. bolt

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 11:43 PM

Seriously, Tommy Nixon who is a marine biologist did a whole thing about this on Bassmasters long ago. So I guess it is a pretty good scientific opinion, but I don't know.

Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/11/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
Seriously, Tommy Nixon who is a marine biologist did a whole thing about this on Bassmasters long ago. So I guess it is a pretty good scientific opinion, but I don't know.
Good article, that's where I got that snippit I posted from. I aint smart nuff to figure these things out without some help hahaha.

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/12/11 01:00 AM

OOPS.. I meant Larry Nixon...

Posted By: Clay Shipe

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/12/11 01:04 AM

Starting to sound like Rick Perry Dad!!

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/12/11 01:06 AM

Not to be off-topic, but the GORGE is on @ Conroe.....

Posted By: senko9S

Re: Shad in the Fall - 11/12/11 01:37 AM

shad need a steady water temp to find food, that's why they migrate. btw a lmb's brain is the size of a pea. just sayin...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum