Texas Fishing Forum

fall gorge

Posted By: gillnet1

fall gorge - 11/08/11 05:06 AM

I have read for years about a fall feeding that bass go on before the cold months where they follow shad into the backs of creeks and gorge themselves for winter. I have seen articles on this phenomenon in both bassmasters and bassin'. I have NEVER found this to be the case. Fall seems to be the most random bunch of "junk fishing" that I have done with no clear cut pattern and when I catch fish it usually seems it happens on multiple lures and presentations and depths. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: fall gorge - 11/08/11 05:24 AM

I’d really like to hear responses on this one.
popcorn

Posted By: Alton K

Re: fall gorge - 11/08/11 11:38 AM

Getcha a couple of jigging spoons and get to Lake Fork and your mind will be changed quickly.

-Alton

Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: fall gorge - 11/08/11 03:24 PM

Deep road beds, spoon,trap,C-rig

Posted By: The Amistad Man

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 01:11 AM

I have found this to be true to a certain extent, but like most of fishing its not the end all be all. in most lakes during the fall shad balls do make there way twords the backs of creeks and as the water temps drop you also have a shad die off which bass take advantage of as well. I think it seems like a junk fishing time because it is and as far as patterns it can be a little fustrating because thhe shad are always on the move and therefore the bass targeting this food source as well. This is why it is common during this time of year to catch them stacked up in one place and the next day they are gone. When it comes to the junkfishing aspect you might want to think about it this way, during the fall bass are gorging themselves to put on weight for the winter but there not just gorging on shad, they are eating alot of the most available prey, like here on Amistad some of our longer creeks with chunk rock bass will fatten up on crawfish as well as small bluegill. I believe in my experience the junk fishing could be because they are eating what is readily available at the time. If your targeting schooling bass feeding on shad there are so many presentations that resemble shad you can catch them a variety of diffrent lures, then turn around and focus on bass that have moved shallow and related to hard woods and catch them using jigs and spinnerbaits. So it would seem your junk fishing or are you just using the best presentation for the type of water your fishing at that particular time for fall bass.

Dont get over whelmed during the fall embrace it as a time of year that offers fisherman the most options for fishing in your comfort zone for active fish.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Jc Gwynne

Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 01:16 AM

Fish are either feeding or digesting right now. TAM explained in good detail why I generally have 3 lures on my deck, a moving shad looking lure (square crank or spinnerbait) a dying shad lure (fluke, or senko) or a jig. Some version of those three usually get the job done.

I'm headed to Fork saturday for my last bit of fishing before the holidays and I'm sure I'll be stuck in a creek tossing something that is close to what I just described. Obviously, if I come back skunked, ignore everything I just said.

Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 01:20 AM

trap trap and did i mention trap

Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 01:29 AM

Timing has something to do with it I know a place on LOP where the shad are so thick they cloud the screen. I have sat on the bass that are holding under and just off the shad and watched my spoon, drop shot, jig ect. Hit them in the head and not get a bite. Late in the afternoon I can load the boat (after the tourny is over) I tried them monday early and rechecked them several times during the day. It can be furstrating.

Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 02:01 AM

Amistead Man said it best and in great detail. I gotta say, your question is one I've wondered about from time t time an just another reason why I come to TFF to get good info!

Posted By: Alton K

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 02:12 AM

If anyone wants to take me jigging spoon fishing on Fork, I promise you that you'll come back to this thread and post "Fall is a great time to catch Schooling, Gorging fish!!!"

-Alton

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: fall gorge - 11/09/11 11:44 AM

Getting ready for the winter!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum