Texas Fishing Forum

Split Shot?

Posted By: Rick_Melanie

Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:05 AM

Can someone tell me about this technique, when to use it, what plastic to use. I generally use a TR, does this technique run with the same conditions as a TR? I get a little confused when to use a TR, CR, Shaky Head, or now a split shot. Can someone help here.
Posted By: tanker4lyfe

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:15 AM

Split shot is a great light line finesse tactic. I use spinning tackle 6-8lb Inviz-X, med rod, #4-2 round split shot 12in-24in above hook
(not the kind with the little teeth on em), #1/0-2/0 wide gap (thin wire), roboworm 4in straight tail usually in a translucent color to mimic juvenile bait. There I just spilled my west coast beans.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:36 AM

Split Shot Rig is a great rig for the most picky bass

Its worked for me pretty well when I have to downsize when fishing during high noon or during the summer heat.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:41 AM

Don't forget to slowly swim your bait at times. 4" watermelon curly tail ring worm works for me.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 04:17 AM

Forget that, 15-20 fluoro, fluke and two feet behind a pegged mojo rig. Whackage
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Forget that, 15-20 fluoro, fluke and two feet behind a pegged mojo rig. Whackage

nuff said
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 09:29 AM

yes sir
Posted By: RBO

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 12:23 PM

+ 3

Always on deck.

Lil trick. After running the line through the mojo weight and tying on your hook, take a 10-12" piece of mono and run through the mojo and then back up through it again creating a loop on the end closest to the hook. Put a few strands of spinner bait or jig skirt through the loop and slowly pull down into the weight. Trim off the strands hanging out of the weight.

Makes a moveable pegged weight so you can slide it up to retie and it won't pinch your line like a toothpick.

I also split shot Magnum Finesse Worms, Trick Worms and especially Dineros depending on how the fish are acting.
Posted By: BasssAddict21

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 01:21 PM

can this technique work to make the bait stay above the grass?
Posted By: Rick61

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 02:11 PM

When would the Split Shot be prefered over the TR?? What size weight are you using? Thanks for the help
Posted By: charlieecho

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:23 PM

Good info here! I myself was curious about this. Never used a split shot rig but have read about the advantages to one. I'm kind of like you though and wanted to know when was the best time to use it. Thanks guys.

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Rick61

When would the Split Shot be prefered over the TR?? What size weight are you using? Thanks for the help

Usually use it in less than 10 feet of water. It really shines around scattered grass and muddy bottom where a T-Rig would bog down. I guess the best way to describe it is a mini Carolina Rig. Bait has more action than a T-Rig, but still keeps you in contact with the bottom. Good for covering water and also for those folks that may not be as good at feeling a bite.

Good guide bait. Gets alot of bites and the lack of weight allows the fish to hang on a little longer so folks have time to swing.

16th, 8th or 3/16th oz weight. Anything larger I go to a traditional Carolina rig w/ bead, swivel, etc.

8th oz in most cases.
Posted By: Bryanj

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 03:53 PM

How exactly do you fish this? What size mojo rig?

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 05:39 PM

I would be interested in the Mojo Setup as well.
Posted By: Fishin Machine

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 05:50 PM

I would be interested in the Mojo Setup as well.

Here is http://www.mojolures.com/ shhhhhhh!

Posted By: BassColonel

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 05:54 PM

I love the split shot! Here is a quick video on how I set up my split shot rigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWFnT0aI0os

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 06:10 PM

I had heard of using a long sinker (1/16-1/8, left loose), then a bead, then a swivel, then 24"-28" leader, then hook, (Seems to be a finess Carolina rig???)Anyonedoing this, or is everyone pegging the weight and no swivel???

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 06:33 PM

I had heard of using a long sinker (1/16-1/8, left loose), then a bead, then a swivel, then 24"-28" leader, then hook, (Seems to be a finess Carolina rig???)Anyonedoing this, or is everyone pegging the weight and no swivel???

Don't complicate things. Most of the time I just pinch on a split shot about 12-18 inches above a hook and get after it. All the beads, swivels and stuff are more akin to a Carolina rig.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 09:04 PM

Anyone ever see the episode of Hank Parker where he was talking about taking a mojo weight and bending basically into a 90 degree elbow? He said they get hung even less like this.

Anyone ever tried this?
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Split Shot? - 09/20/11 10:43 PM

Split shot (sissy rigg'n) I'll use a split shot rig when I need weight to get it down, but not so much weight as to pull it down in the grass. Usually in less than 10 ft of water where Ican still feel the bottom. Its also great to use in heavy structure. Don't always what to loose a tungsten. Split shot is just field expediant when wanting to change over quickly from another pattern.
Posted By: BassColonel

Re: Split Shot? - 09/21/11 12:46 PM

Here is a video of a couple of bass I caught yesterday on a split shot. The wind was completely dead and the fish werent biting at all. I downsized to a 4.5 in lizard and just worked it real slow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwIkAPBdFc

Re: Split Shot? - 09/21/11 03:36 PM

Nice video, thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum