Texas Fishing Forum

Whats a good Scale?

Posted By: AdanV

Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 09:31 PM

Hey yall,

Whats a good scale that yall recommend?

This past weekend, Ive caught numerous LMB and been weighing them all. I do have a scale but its a cheap chinese knockoff and I dont think its weighing accurately.

Ive caught quite a few over the weekend that supposedly weighed 3 lbs or so. However, I work in shipping/receiving, so I know what 3 lbs weighs. The LMB for sure felt heavier than a 3 lbs box.

Im also trying to win one of these small tourneys. Free to Enter and you get small but good prizes (BPS gift cards, equip, etc). :P

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:01 PM

The berkly electric
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:08 PM

Cull M Rite hands down
Posted By: JoelM

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:24 PM

You should check out the Rapala scale Jersey Dan has. Brett8388 & I were both envious. Digital, 8 weights that are visible. Totals your catch for you. Too cool! don't know how it will hold up but I have an old digital Rapala scale that has never lied to me in 8 years or so.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:34 PM

Cul-M-rite
Posted By: Jacob_Breaux

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:38 PM

i use a boga grip 15 lb model... works good so far and you can grap fish with teeth and not worry about yer hands gettin messed up
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:45 PM

I heard somewhere that the boga grip wasn't the best for big fish. Something about it hurting their jaw.
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/12/11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
Cul-M-rite

+1...go to south west and parts and service and talk to Shane.. He sales them.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/13/11 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: JoelM
You should check out the Rapala scale Jersey Dan has. Brett8388 & I were both envious. Digital, 8 weights that are visible. Totals your catch for you. Too cool! don't know how it will hold up but I have an old digital Rapala scale that has never lied to me in 8 years or so.
This one works really good I have it also best one I have had to date without spending 200 bucks.
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/13/11 02:10 AM

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Sca...5098&sr=8-5

Great scale. Cheap, less than 25.00, certifiable, weighs to 110#. in ozs. or tenths of lb., tare feature.
Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/13/11 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
Cul-M-rite

+1
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/13/11 02:46 AM

Thanks yall.

Cul-M-Rite is way out of my price range, but I'll definitely checkout the Berkeley, Boga Grip, and Rapala.
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/13/11 02:48 AM

Ur hand is always a good option ?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 12:11 AM

Before I had a boat I was looking for a compact scale that I could carry with me and I found some pretty small ones on Amazon.com as luggage scales. The one I ordered is much more accurate than either of my berkley scales and goes into hundredths. Also my past berkley scales have used watch batteries and my luggage scale uses AAAs
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 12:12 AM

I've had a few digital scales and they all seems to break or be off to much. My buddy had this cheap ($16) Rapala scale. Most accurate scale I've seen. Went and bought one and it's pretty solid.

I've used work out weights, they range from 3lb weights to 10 lb weights. Shut up, they are my girlfriends weights (know what you're thinking!) sarcastic

Any way it seems all of the scales I've owned were off when you got into the double digit range. I'd put 10 and 12 lbs in and it would read a lb less. This rapala so far has been much more accurate.
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 12:29 AM

Cul-m-rite is super close to certified scales
Posted By: Transplant

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 01:34 PM

Whatever one you get....buy an extra battery for it. Too many times you want to weigh that really BIG ONE, and scales dead!!
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Transplant
Whatever one you get....buy an extra battery for it. Too many times you want to weigh that really BIG ONE, and scales dead!!

+1

In my tungsten box you will find 2 spare AA batteries.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 01:42 PM

I really like this one.. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_Touch_Screen_Tournament_Scale_15lb/descpage-RTDS.html

Posted By: RB_BassMan

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 02:02 PM

I like the cheep black berkley scale, had one for several years and never had to change the battery!
Posted By: Stan L

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 04:40 PM

CUL-M-Rite hands down! Go to South West Parts and talk to Shane. Also has a top notch tackle store and a great place for trolling motor repairs!
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/20/11 11:06 PM

All you guys that chimed in with CUL-M-RITE, please tell me how you justify $200 for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a high end purchaser when it comes to quality. (Buy right the first time, own it a lifetime!) But $200 for what the Rapella does for $50? Make a believer outta me!
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/21/11 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Transplant

x10 ... thumb

..and Chad, ur right, it almost is scary how accurate that cheap little Rapala scale is...

..on a side note, kudos to Berkley, shipped my old scale to the factory (it had stopped working, out of the blue), no receipt, explained what was going on, and they sent me a brand new one... bannana2
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/21/11 11:41 PM

That's one for the Rapella. Still want to hear why I would consider a CULL M RITE. CAn I get a specific reason why?
Posted By: attytexas

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/22/11 02:21 AM

I like the Accu Cull
Posted By: Tripp

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/22/11 03:50 AM

I've got a fairly inexpensive Berkley scale that I think I paid about 20 bucks for. I was at the launch one day on Caddo when the game warden was weighing fish for some reason (I can't remember) anyway I got him to put water in a bucket to 5 lbs on his fancy "official" scale and my little Berkley was within one tenth of a lb... close enough for me and not a huge loss if I accidentally kick it overboard.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/22/11 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Chad711
I've had a few digital scales and they all seems to break or be off to much. My buddy had this cheap ($16) Rapala scale. Most accurate scale I've seen. Went and bought one and it's pretty solid.

I've used work out weights, they range from 3lb weights to 10 lb weights. Shut up, they are my girlfriends weights (know what you're thinking!) sarcastic

Any way it seems all of the scales I've owned were off when you got into the double digit range. I'd put 10 and 12 lbs in and it would read a lb less. This rapala so far has been much more accurate.

That's about what I bench press Chad.... woot
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/22/11 11:18 AM

The Cull-M-Rite is the best scale made and Shane stands behind them over at SW Parts.

I've had good luck with the Rapala and the Berkely digital scales too. I go to a marina and set a bucket of water on their certified scale then fill it slowly to exactly Ten Pounds, then weigh it with my handheld scale. Then one I have now is only 2 oz off at Ten Pounds.
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Whats a good Scale? - 09/22/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

The Cull-M-Rite is the best scale made and Shane stands behind them over at SW Parts.

I've had good luck with the Rapala and the Berkely digital scales too. I go to a marina and set a bucket of water on their certified scale then fill it slowly to exactly Ten Pounds, then weigh it with my handheld scale. Then one I have now is only 2 oz off at Ten Pounds.

I need to try that test with water out too! Sounds like a perfect way to check them out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum