Texas Fishing Forum

Spoon?

Posted By: TOMCAT21

Spoon? - 07/28/11 10:25 PM

What size, what color, best rod/reel setup?
Posted By: Andi Sanders

Re: Spoon? - 07/29/11 12:39 AM

Three Way Ledge Fishing Tactics With Pete Ponds should help
http://www.advancedangler.com/index.asp
Most anglers feel that 12lb line is too light for a flutter spoon, however Pete loves using the lightest line he can get away with.

Re: Spoon? - 07/29/11 02:48 AM

Thanks. Not a lot of specifics in the article. I was hoping to get some more specific recommendations on the best sizes/colors for this area. Got my first spoon today and know I need to expand my arsenal.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Spoon? - 07/29/11 02:56 AM

Be careful going down to 12 lb line if you are throwing it on Fork or many of our other Texas lakes where you are throwing it in big wood or big rock. I personally like the 5" size the best matches a lot of our bait here.
Posted By: Chad Hill

Re: Spoon? - 07/29/11 03:26 AM

I use a 7' medium heavy Dobyns rod with 17# florocarbon line. I like the 5" size spoon as well. I have both the LFT spoon and the Big Joe spoon, I think that is what it is called. I have been throwing it out and letting hit the bottom on a slack line. Work it back to the boat by jerking it off the bottom and letting it work the flutter back down to the bottom. They have been hitting it on the fall. This is the part where you have to pay attention. I think you wont some slack on the fall but you dont wont to much either. If you get to much slack and they wack it, it is very hard to catch up and set the hook. Hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: TX-HENDO

Re: Spoon? - 07/29/11 05:06 AM

7'3 MH rod w/ 15lb Floro. 5"spoon or bigger if you can find'em Dont get as many sandbass bites on the bigger spoons.

Re: Spoon? - 07/30/11 12:14 AM

Thanks all. Wasn't sure about buying those big spoons. Getting my Humminbird installed next week. Looking forward to getting the boat out soon and really wanted to try spooning. Caught them using a similar technique with Rat-l-Traps many years ago in Florida.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Spoon? - 07/30/11 08:21 AM

I use a Dobyns 764 rod with a Calcutta Conquest spooled with 17 pound P-line CXX, 5 inch Joe Spaits spoon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum