Texas Fishing Forum

Pouring Your Own Worms

Posted By: Fisher77

Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/16/11 08:26 PM

I have a few questions about pouring worms. What are the advantages? Do you save any money? How many worms can you get out of a quart of plastc? Any info about it you all can give me would be great....Thanks
Posted By: Falconer

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/16/11 10:38 PM

You probably will not save any money, but you can get colors nobody else haves. I pour some of my own plastics. Depending on the size I pour a 12 " worm and get about 130 per gallan. so a quart mayby 25 to 30
Posted By: Jwatson

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 02:09 AM

I don't mean to highjack your thread as I'm getting into pouring my own baits. Im just doing certain kinds wheres the best place to buy molds plastic coloring glitter ect I know lure craft is one are their any others?

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 03:11 AM

No worries. Good question.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 03:44 AM

Google plastic worm molds there are 3or4 four places that carry anything you need, be prepared to get out your wallet you can spend a lot. Not very econical to do it for your self unless you use a lot of plastic. Alum molds are very expensive plus some way to heat your plastic. Dont try in house or you will be in the dog house.
Posted By: Beer980

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 12:43 PM

Advantages are that you can make colors you can't buy, pour different style molds, control the softness or hardness of the bait.

You could save money if you just stick with a mold or two and a few colors/glitters. You think the bait monkey is strong now just wait until you start making your own. There is always another mold or color or glitter to get.

A quart is a good way to get your feet wet but you will go through that quick if you experiment instead of using some published recipes. You should be able to get about 100 "senko" style stick baits from a quart.

If you want some more in depth information send me a PM and a good time to talk. I will send you a link to my chat room. We also have a section down in General Equipment for bait making.
Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 01:59 PM

For several years now I've poured not injected baits, big difference in finished product and takes 2/3 longer to produce in the quantities I do.

1) I would suggest e bay as there are usually several ads there for small quantities of supplies with very simple user friendly molds that people like yourself dibbled with.

2) Cost, it will grow and become a monster before you know it. You'll always have a decision to make when you want to buy a new mold and that is "is the money I save making my own going to pay for this mold in a decent period of time?" The other is the plastisol, the price has gone up several times this past year thanks to the Chinese demand, the cost to make a single worm might be higher than you think when you incorporate the cost of incoming shipping and so on.

3) Safety as I can attest to, respect the plastic at all times, the split second you fail to do so will have bad written all over it. I have the scars to prove it and should've known better.

There's my .02
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 02:12 PM

YOU WILL NOT SAVE ANY MONEY!

My son is doing this it is a good hobby to to tinker with.

You can make color that you cant buy!
Posted By: Beer980

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 08:48 PM

Yes that plastic does sting a little when it gets over 325 degrees. It is a nice hobby though.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/17/11 09:01 PM

Check out YouTube.....there are tons of instructionals on there....once you have that down go here....http://www.fishingworld.com/M-F-Manufacturing/ and order what you need...Robert and Jeff are extremely helpful...Robert has been pouring for over 35 years and is extremely knowledgeable....
Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/18/11 12:37 PM

I would agree with watching vids on the internet in so far as gaining basic knowledge. One thing I've noticed about a lot of those vids and I never understand is how they keep their shop so clean LOL.

Because of this thread I've received a couple of e mails and to answer the question, no I haven't and have no plans to make a vid. I do several skype pours a month which is as close as I'll get and those are pretty select clients.

Re: Pouring Your Own Worms - 07/20/11 03:42 AM

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum