Texas Fishing Forum

15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read)

Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:04 PM

100 degrees. Humid. The air feels like that in a small bathroom after taking a 30 minute roaring hot shower. Sticky.. sweaty.. hands slipping off the reel handles.. Texas summer on Lake Cypress Springs. 15 years ago. Just another typical summer day for two kids on top of the world. Wake up early, walk down the hill to the boat house. Gently set the boat down in the cool slick calm waters of eldorado bay. The friendly verbal assaults exchanged among these two boys would begin after the run to the mornings first fishing hole.. after waking up. One of the many things these lanky sunburned Texans had in common, was the love of chasing and catching the elusive and beautiful Largemouth Bass. Fish tales were created, lies were told.. dreams were spoken out loud. Of those dreams, one was never forgotten, and yet never realized.

Reeling in a firetiger crankbait from a dock laden bank.. the two young teens talk about what is probably one of the most incredible bass fisheries in Texas, and realistically the United States.. Lake Fork. "some day, we'll both fish Lake Fork with a professional guide". The dream. Fishing the ultimate bass lake... with a hired hand to show us the ropes. Together. Two best friends, and a guide to be determined..sometime.. hopefully.. it is just a dream after all right?

or is it?

Dreams come true. Something parents tell their children. Teachers tell their students. Motivational speakers tell their audiences. Dreams DO come true.

Saturday May the 21st, a dream came true. Fast forward 15 years. 15 years...from those days of youth spent on Lake Cypress Springs. The alarm clock doesnt have a chance this morning. Awakened by an internal clock set to rise so this dream doesnt go unrealized. 4am. Steaming hot water across the face of the 29 year old, married father of one. Not a kid anymore....although as giddy as a kid. Anxious. Ready. Ready to make dreams come true. The hour drive to Lake Fork Marina seemed like an eternity. The lights inside Tiffany's restaurant are a beacon for the hungry souls preparing for a day on Lake Fork. The now all too familiar silver Tundra, towing a gorgeous Ranger z520 Comanche pulls past the beacon lights and parks. This really is happening.
The coffee is fresh, and piping hot.. The guide is there..the kids are there.. at Lake Fork Marina. At LAKE FORK. This IS really happening!

Following an assault on perfectly fried eggs, crispy hash browns, mouth watering bacon and toast.. The two kids.. (no longer kids) and The guide load the boat.

The smell of two stroke exhaust fills the cool air surrounding the boat ramp as the Yamaha Vmax250 growls to life. The truck parked, the Guide hops in his boat.. with the two young men..15 years after talking about getting a guide together on Lake Fork.

The day is filled with smiles, laughter.. fishing tales and other lies and jokes. The guide expertly directs his clients on what they are fishing, how to fish it, and why. Educating them. Teaching them. Laughing with them. Possibly not realizing, he is making a dream come true for two young men, who are no longer boys.. who are living in a dream hatched so long ago. Thundering hooksets commence following a tale tell "thump" on the end of a line soaking in the famous waters that create Lake Fork. Fish are caught.. Fish are missed. Two young men, are taught.. as if they are kids.. soaking in knowledge passed on by an encyclopedia of information... the guide. The "Teacher", watching as his "students" dream becomes a reality. Dreams DO come true.

THIS is why many of us chase the elusive Largemouth bass..many of us had dreams. Many of us HAVE dreams. Winning a tournament, catching a double digit largemouth, sharing time with friends, loved ones...dreams.

MY dream came true.

THAT is why I bass fish.

Mark Pack is a guide on Lake Fork. A professional. A great man who I now consider a friend. To say his guide service is FIRST CLASS is a tremendous understatement. The time he puts in educating his clients on the finer points of fishing techniques, understanding bass habitats, reading and understanding electronics and answering all questions you may have is incredible.

Thank you Mark, for your time. For having us two kids in your boat for a fantastic day of fishing and fellowship. I look forward to the day we can share the deck of your boat again... on Lake Fork or elsewhere.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:14 PM

Great read. I know you guys had a blast with mark. I can speak from experience that he is a great teacher on the water and a good friend off. I feel lucky to know him as a friend and a mentor.
Posted By: basspro99

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:21 PM

good read ROF. Kudos to Mark.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:23 PM

Dang Boy, you sure can take Pen to Paper..
Great read, dare I say you're hooked .. LOL
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:29 PM

Don Barone doesn't have anything on you....great write up and story!

Keep up the good writing....you should apply to some magazines or websites! You have a gift!
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:30 PM

I'm glad you and Scott finally got the opportunity to go do that, Sheb. I know how much you guys looked forward to that.. and for good reason. thumb A great write up as always! cheers
Posted By: Stax®

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:32 PM

Well said my man...It sounds like you guys had fun and I hope the cake I left ya wasnt all that bad, after 2 days in a rod box! thumb
Posted By: Manchu

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:32 PM

i do it for the chicks

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Stax08
Well said my man...It sounds like you guys had fun and I hope the cake I left ya wasnt all that bad, after 2 days in a rod box! thumb
dude....

that was... it was GLORIOUS. That was freaking incredible! moist..succulent cake.. mmmmmm food Thanks for that bud! really appreciated it!
Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:46 PM

Wow...what a write-up.. I can't speak as eloquently as Shelby, but I agree 100% that it was an epic day....Pack makes you feel like a friend right from the start, making you comfortable to fish and have fun all day long.. It goes without saying that he really knows that lake...

As for finally filling a 15 year dream, thats just priceless. I don't get to spend enough time with my friends these days, so these memories will be burnt into my mind forever..Luckily, Sheb easily outfished me all day long, but it was a blast none-the-less...

cheers and many more to come.

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:47 PM

I hope the cake I left ya wasnt all that bad, after 2 days in a rod box! thumb
He shared the recipe with us..yumyum

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Don Barone doesn't have anything on you... You have a gift!

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FootAndAHalf
I hope the cake I left ya wasnt all that bad, after 2 days in a rod box! thumb
He shared the recipe with us..yumyum

He must have made something up then, because he got on the phone with my wife after lunch on day 2 and she wouldnt come off it...Although I did give him what I "thought" was the "secret" ingredient! thumb
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:03 PM

Nice. Makes me want to look up a friend I fished with back in the day. Haven't seen or heard a word from him in 35 years. We had plans and dreams back then too.

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®
dude....

that was... it was GLORIOUS. That was freaking incredible! moist..succulent cake.. mmmmmm food Thanks for that bud! really appreciated it!

You are more than welcome my man...I will let her read what you wrote...She likes it when people like her cooking...Lord knows yall have seen pictures of me, and I didnt get that figure riding a bike!
Posted By: GaryReynolds

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:07 PM

good read and congrats on DREAMS coming true!
Posted By: manny_G_77

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:16 PM

smile June 24th can't come quick enough for me.
Posted By: manny_G_77

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:17 PM

also.... man, no picture needed. thanks.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:27 PM

The alarm clock doesnt have a chance this morning.

This line gave me goosebumps.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:34 PM

Great write up Sheb, Nice to finally meet you in person too! Now you two need to get out to the lake house sometime for some night fishing on cypress and sandlin! cheers
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:35 PM

Sheb, I like the way you talk......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JayKendrick
Great write up Sheb, Nice to finally meet you in person too! Now you two need to get out to the lake house sometime for some night fishing on cypress and sandlin! cheers
IN
Posted By: North Texas Bass Assasin

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 10:48 PM

good stuff ...how was the fishing?
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 10:50 PM

Sheb is a literary genius
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 10:50 PM

and hes ok with a rod eeks
Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 11:24 PM

I've got the dreaming part done. Naturally, your account gives me inspiration.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/23/11 11:42 PM

Fishing is definitely, what dreams are made out of.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 02:18 AM

Great read!

Sounds like yall had a blast!

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Don Barone doesn't have anything on you....great write up and story!

Keep up the good writing....you should apply to some magazines or websites! You have a gift!
I dont know about all that. I certainly appreciate the compliment, but Barone is greatness. One of the best ever. Im nowhere near that caliber.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 05:44 PM

Great read, Sheb. Glad you and Scotty got to finally fulfill that dream together. You guys certainly picked the right guide to share the day with!
Posted By: 9094

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:19 PM

Great read! Abilene needs a outdoor writer for the newspaper you should get with them and freelance!

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:22 PM

I think I'm going to save all of RoF's write-up's on here and send them in to someone... He's got talent.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:26 PM

A great read and looks a great time for all. Glad you all got to do what you dreamed of.
Posted By: Frenchy

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:32 PM

Very cool write up ROF! Now show us some pics of those slaunches ya'll hooked into! thumb
Posted By: billclay

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:36 PM

Good read. Fork is a great time! I hope I can go back again someday!
Posted By: NacogdochesBassm

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 06:54 PM

great read ROF! Awesome man!

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Very cool write up ROF! Now show us some pics of those slaunches ya'll hooked into! thumb
heck, we didnt even pick up a camera all day! we were having too much fun, and wanted to get our lines back out there.

Originally Posted By: 9094
Great read! Abilene needs a outdoor writer for the newspaper you should get with them and freelance!
really? Ill have to see if I can find some info on how to get in touch with them.
Posted By: Leep5904

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 08:05 PM

Great story RoF. Takes me back to my childhood days of summer. You do have a gift. Keep it up.
Posted By: PESCADOR12

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 08:13 PM

Nice read. You almost made me cry. You messed up in one spot though. You forgot to get a piece of pie from Tiffany's, it's the best in the world

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 10ftBassBuster
Nice read. You almost made me cry. You messed up in one spot though. You forgot to get a piece of pie from Tiffany's, it's the best in the world
you're right... for shame.

I suppose I will just have to return as quick as possible!
Posted By: csmith936

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 09:45 PM

Nice write up! thumb glad y'all had fun....I NEED to get
down to Lake Fork
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 10:27 PM

Great read right there it really took me back to being a kid, fishing with my buddy's before we could even drive.Didn't have a boat or even the chance of using one.Some of my fondest memories right there thanks for taking me back to simpler times great job.It's true the memories far surpass the actual event of fishing. banana
Posted By: DEREKG

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/24/11 11:26 PM

Enjoyed it, I can remember admiring all the guys with their big fancy glitter rigs when i was towing a tidecraft to lake fork, and not catching a single fish all day. couldnt have afforded a guide back then
Posted By: Ky Martin

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/25/11 12:59 AM

Great story and well said! I still remember the first time I fished Fork.......just like it was yesterday!
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/25/11 01:33 PM

dude....

food
LMAO...u should have got a pic of that moment...I love that pic of ur princess (I have a 9 yr old angel) eyeing that ice cream cone....priceless! ....but u could have posted urs next to hers (like father-like daughter).
U brought back memories of some of my limited trips there to Lake Fork, Shelby, for that I am grateful, us non-boaters have to appreciate those moments a little more. cheers
Great read by the way, got a kick out of it...I've only fished Fork 4 times, and have yet to hire a guide, tho I did get to meet Mark Pack back on April 9th...at Tiffany's (imagine that), he was waiting on his client and kindly gave me a few minutes (and tips, that panned out) of his time to a complete stranger who came up to him and introduced himself, class guy...totally opposite of what u see on his tv show.. banana
Posted By: tommyc

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/25/11 01:39 PM

Great write up Sheb. Enjoyed the read for sure.
Posted By: shanedaviesguide.com

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/25/11 01:58 PM

Congrats to the anglers and guide! thumb
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 05/25/11 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 10ftBassBuster

+1000
thumb

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 01/09/21 10:05 PM

Bump for the man who made my dream come true. See original post.

Rest peacefully, Mark. Can’t wait to see you in heaven. Heartbroken
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 01/09/21 10:49 PM

Heck of a story and goes along with everything else I've heard about Mark. I sure wish I'd have had tbe opportunity to fish with him. RIP.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 01/09/21 11:14 PM

Great post! I never had the HONOR to meet Mark Pack. Seeing the post and prayers from the TFF says a lot about the man. Prayers for his family and friends. The Lord Jesus Christ has control. angel2
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 01/11/21 01:22 AM

Thanks for looking that post up Ride-or-Fish. Great memories and thanks for sharing. God Bless Mark and all the dreams he fulfilled.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: 15 year dream finally comes true. (LONG read) - 01/11/21 02:51 AM

Great story! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum