Texas Fishing Forum

Skeet Reese Rods

Posted By: Bassin Jig

Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:12 PM

Has anyone had any trouble with these rods breaking off at the tips. I have purchase three of the microguides and Honeycomb mesh with matching Victory reels. This pass weekend I hooked up with a 2 1/2 - 3 lb largemouth and approx. a 5" long section of the tip broke off. I was very disappointed that this happened on the very first time out.
Posted By: Frenchy

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:18 PM

I don't have any, but a couple friends do and they haven't had any problems. You are actually the first I've heard of anyone having any issues.
Posted By: jsix321

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I don't have any, but a couple friends do and they haven't had any problems. You are actually the first I've heard of anyone having any issues.

I also have friends that have some and they don't treat them good at all and they still haven't broken one. Maybe you bought one that was damaged. You would be supprised how a small damaged area can lead to a broken rod.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:34 PM

I fished down at Amistad two weekends ago and I had the rod for Fluke and it broke on me first time out. Luckily I boughy it at Academy and they replaced it. If it breaks again I will go with another brand.
Posted By: HammerPants

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:43 PM

I've been using the heavy cover rod for the last several weeks - so far, so good. I've also been throwing the s-glass crankin rod for over a year (with really heavy use) and its still good as new.
Posted By: Jhaskins88

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 06:44 PM

I have three and have had no issues with them at all and have swung numerous amount 3.5 lb bass in the boat with them but you gotta remeber todays rods with the light weight and sensitivity there's. A price you gotta pay they are designed to get them to the boat and you have to get them in the boat.
Posted By: CJSTEVEN

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 07:06 PM

I have one and love it...that being said I've only had it for a little while. If I'm not mistaking can't you send it in and they will replace it??
Posted By: 9094

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 07:19 PM

Got a buddy that breaks the tips off all the time. I told him he was causing it then one day we were fishing and ge sets the hook on a 2lb fish and the tip snaps. Says it was his 3rd one. They keep replacing them for him so he keeps using them.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 07:47 PM

Is it the micro version thats doing it? I have two 7'2 rods and love them
Posted By: J-2

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 07:56 PM

I have had no issues with mine. So far so good.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 08:46 PM

Had one and it broke, but it was my fault and not a bad rod. Got it replaced with a micro guide heavy cover rod. I love it. I've already caught some really good fish on it and it has shown no signs of breaking or failing me.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 09:03 PM

I have a few, when I first got mine I had two frog rods at caddo and tried to break them. They held up and have caught many a fish since.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 09:26 PM

One irritation I've found is since I palm the reel my finger rests on the threads for the locknut. There is a slot cut through them that has some sharper edges. It tears my finger up so I had to wrap it with some rod wrap. Other than that they've been a good rod.
Posted By: jimmye123

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 09:40 PM

yep borrowed a new one from my buddy, just to try it 6 fish later it broke, good thing i left the tag on it
Posted By: Mudbug

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/22/11 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
One irritation I've found is since I palm the reel my finger rests on the threads for the locknut. There is a slot cut through them that has some sharper edges. It tears my finger up so I had to wrap it with some rod wrap. Other than that they've been a good rod.

Just had the micro guide for a few weeks. Man can it cast a mile. But I agree that they have a poor design on the reel seat. The threads are brutal on the fingers. I like the rods, but wish they had the treads like the carrot sticks. I also noticed that the foam handels are a better quality and feel better than the carrot sticks. I will propbably by more Skeet rods in the future, especially with the micro guides. It has made me a believer.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 12:49 AM

yes- they aren't as I expected in quality
Posted By: sexyshad

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 12:51 AM

You guys that are breaking off must be getting bad rods or your just bad hook setters these rods are great I swung a 5 lb fish in the boat on Sunday with no issues,
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bassin Jig
Has anyone had any trouble with these rods breaking off at the tips. I have purchase three of the microguides and Honeycomb mesh with matching Victory reels. This pass weekend I hooked up with a 2 1/2 - 3 lb largemouth and approx. a 5" long section of the tip broke off. I was very disappointed that this happened on the very first time out.

My fishin partner bought a couple during the rod riot at Academy. He was talking about how good they felt and that he was really going to like them. One was a senko and the other a Carolyna rig. The C/Rig rod snapped on the first fish he caught. I dont think he is going to like them as much as he thought. LOL
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 01:04 AM

I've have the spinnerbait/worm rod and love it.
Posted By: The Rodfather

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 01:40 AM

I too broke the tip of my first one, think it was the worm jig, but it broke on the hookset at Falcon on a 3 lb. fish. Those 5" tips make for a good mixed drink stirring stick. On another note, IMO most rods that sit up on the shelves in stores,especially Academy, are subject to a brutal beating before they even make it to a lake. People pick the rods up tap them on the floor, jam them up in the rod rack trying to replace while ripping another one off the shelf. They can easily be damaged without the consumer even knowing till its judgment time.
Then all of the sudden the rod has a bad rap.
I still have 2 of the Skeets and they have been bullet proof ever since the first oohps.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 01:46 AM

Even though there are lots of people on here that like them there a lot of you talking of broken rods. I have never broke a rod until I had this one, I may not like mine much longer. It is scary that this many people are talking of a rod that broke. As I said never broke one in my life, not even a cheap rod, maybe they need to check into this.
Posted By: Carlos Martinez

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 02:44 AM

I fish Skeet rods for all my baitcasting and have many in my arsenal and have never had a problem with them. I also have swung many fish into the boat with no problems.

If anyone wants to get rid of them, send me a PM, ill take them !!! Even the broken ones!!
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: bentrod26
I too broke the tip of my first one, think it was the worm jig, but it broke on the hookset at Falcon on a 3 lb. fish. Those 5" tips make for a good mixed drink stirring stick. On another note, IMO most rods that sit up on the shelves in stores,especially Academy, are subject to a brutal beating before they even make it to a lake. People pick the rods up tap them on the floor, jam them up in the rod rack trying to replace while ripping another one off the shelf. They can easily be damaged without the consumer even knowing till its judgment time.
Then all of the sudden the rod has a bad rap.
I still have 2 of the Skeets and they have been bullet proof ever since the first oohps.
You are exactly right about rods getting banged around in stores. A graphite rod or any of the light weight material that the rods are made of if bangedaround are eventually going to break. That is why I don;t get my rods from a store I have saw too many people mishandling them. I have replaced one guide for a customer that stepped on it since it was a micro guide I wouldn't be suprised if the rod didn't break somethime in that spot.
Posted By: Paul Rogers

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 03:03 AM

i use electrical tape for that on all my rods.
Posted By: mbassn

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 04:05 AM

I have the the spinnerbait/worm rod and can't say I have any complaints other then the technique specs aren't to my own personal liking. I bought the rod to use for spinnerbaits but didn't like the way it felt when throwing them. I do however like the way it feels with small crankbaits like bandit 100s & 200s. As far as quality i am surprised that there are several complaints about them breaking. I snagged a gar in the middle of his back that was at least 50 lbs and after about a 30 min fight got it to the boat without any issues with the rod or the reel. The reel was an e5 curado
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 05:01 PM

Friend of mine has a couple, broke both of them at Falcon!
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: sexyshad
You guys that are breaking off must be getting bad rods or your just bad hook setters these rods are great I swung a 5 lb fish in the boat on Sunday with no issues,

flush
Posted By: Kenny aka (rodbender1)

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/23/11 05:54 PM

My partner has two, both are broke about 5-8" down from tip. One on a hookset & one on swinging a 3Lber in the boat.
Posted By: fishinfoo2

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/24/11 03:38 AM

i have 2 of the jig/worm 7'2 for a year and no issues, you may have just got a bad batch of em,
Posted By: FiShtick

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 03/24/11 04:09 AM

I put my spinnerbait rod thru the paces

at Hubbard Creek last weekend I've had it about a year and its been great. I just got the micro finess worm/fluke rod using it for finess jigs and think it is gonna be awesome.
Posted By: austin_asu

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 06:14 PM

Same here! I will have to try the rod wrap to avoid the torn up finger. I have two; the jig/worm and the topwater/jerkbait rod. The jig/worm is not quite as sensitive as my e21 carrot stix though. Love the topwater rod...never pick up the jig rod.
Posted By: cbog34

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 06:43 PM

I have the flippin/pitchen rod and the magnum cranking rod both have held up nicely. Owned both for about a year and I fish 2 to 3 days a week never had any problems with them.
Posted By: South TX Legend

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 07:12 PM

I have 1 of the older 7'10" cranking rod and love it.
Posted By: water_surge

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 07:15 PM

I broke one off at the tip, but it was my fault blush
Posted By: cooke

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: water_surge
I broke one off at the tip, but it was my fault blush

I feel like this is probably the norm...guys just dont like to admit it.
Posted By: kickerfishpro (Jeremy David)

Re: Skeet Reese Rods - 04/07/11 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass-hole
I have had no issues with mine. So far so good.

+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum