Texas Fishing Forum

Throwing back lake record

Posted By: Flipper01

Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:16 PM

Ever see or have you ever thrown back a lake record? Did not know it last night, but, I watch my fishing partner throw back Ray Roberts spotted bass record after the weigh-in last night. On hand scales it went 3.8 and I think at the weigh-in it was the same. He called me this morning sick to his stomach after he looked it up on TPW.
Posted By: HammerPants

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:20 PM

Lake Records eat pretty good.
Posted By: planogator

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:27 PM

It happened in my boat last year. While fishing with a friend and his 9 year old son, the boy caught a 6.2# Freshwater Drum. While that was not what we were fishing for, we took a couple pictures and released the fish. It was not until two days later we discovered that would have been the Lake, and Junior lake record for that species. This is not a big deal to us as bass fishermen, but to a 9 year old it would have been really something.
Posted By: fish on baby

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:30 PM

Wow that would have been nice for that young man! Gives you a reason to go back out though!
Posted By: Barn

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Flipper01
Ever see or have you ever thrown back a lake record? Did not know it last night, but, I watch my fishing partner throw back Ray Roberts spotted bass record after the weigh-in last night. On hand scales it went 3.8 and I think at the weigh-in it was the same. He called me this morning sick to his stomach after he looked it up on TPW.

Did the same thing on Roberts with big spot a couple years ago. After I let it go I realize how bit it was. Oh well...

Last weekend a guy caught a 7.26# spot on Table Rock...and it wasn't even the lake record. eeks
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:57 PM

todays cell phones gotta love them.

All should print a quick page from the lake you are going to fish so you can have it handy
Posted By: cd

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 02:58 PM

Ive caught several spots close to 4lbs in the winter months on Ray Roberts and know of the record. I just cant get excited about a 4lb fish being worth the time to submit. Some people will tell you there are a lot of crosses and not full spots. With as many 3-4lb spots that are in there Im sure this happens often.
Posted By: Hammbone

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 03:06 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=0622

I caught a "red eye Bass" way up spring creek @ Ray Roberts about 8 years ago and released her. I called TPWD @ Isle du Bois Unit and they told me that there were "red eye" also known as "Coosa bass" in RR. The one I caught and released was about two pounds.

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=147
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 03:06 PM

Happened to me but I got the record. I happen to take pictures and such and it was for a Hybrid Striper at Caddo Lake. The record I beat was from 1997.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 03:12 PM

I threw back what would have been the lake record spotted gar on Fork this past summer. It slammed a trap and I thought I had hooked the lake record bass. I was fishing with Ronnie Kelley and he screamed like a girl "get that thing out of my boat!", so we didnt weigh it. laugh
Posted By: hawgranger

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 04:04 PM

Know of a guy and saw a picture of a 13.4 that was caught 2/8/11 on Lake Palestine would have been Lake record and the first SAL out of Plaestine. Had another friend that caught a 12.8 that could have also been a new lake record 3/1/11 on Lake Palestine. But could not find any certified scales. And another friend that missed the Palestine record by .3 of a pound also on Lake Palestine and they all came from completely different areas of the Lake. I expect an SAL either this year or next out of Palestine.
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 04:06 PM

three times. twice on white crappie and once on freshwater drum. let them all go. I don't eat a lot of fish. If it happens with a spot, LMB or smallie, it's getting registered. Alan Henry has a lot of lake record spots (and probably state record spots) swimming around. Just have to wade through the LMBXSpot crosses to get there. Waiting on that 7lb spot in a couple of years.
Posted By: EpicBirdnest

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 04:13 PM

i netted the Caddo Lake record LM Bass for Keith Burns last March (see SL # 487). he put it back in the lake about 3 weeks later. does this count?
Posted By: Jkf96a

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 05:23 PM

I ate the Lake Travis record Guadalupe bass in high school, and I also turned loose the lake record buffalo on LBJ. Caught the buffalo on a senko during the spawn. Thought it was a sharelunker for sure.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 05:46 PM

I threw back the Lake Fork Record Yellow Bass about 10 years ago.Thing was about a 1 and 1/4 pounds.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 06:04 PM

Well, it is a good practice for C&R. Personally, I have thrown back 3 lake records, that I am aware of. First one, Lewisville working man's T, 3.57 lb. spot. Next, 3.6 lb smallmouth Lake Alan Henry. Weekend after that 11-8 LMB at Lake Lewisville. KVD was the first to break the Lewisville record. The Alan Henry recrod has not been set on SMB, so I would still have that. The 2 Lewisville records have been bested, however.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 06:20 PM

I threw back the state C&R record Redbreast Sunfish 2 years ago on the Guadalupe River. I put it on the measuring tape, but didn't think to take a pic or get it weighed. When my brother told me to check TPWD.com later in the season, I got a little upset with myself, but there are bigger ones than I caught in the Hill Country.
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hawgranger
Know of a guy and saw a picture of a 13.4 that was caught 2/8/11 on Lake Palestine would have been Lake record and the first SAL out of Plaestine. Had another friend that caught a 12.8 that could have also been a new lake record 3/1/11 on Lake Palestine. But could not find any certified scales. And another friend that missed the Palestine record by .3 of a pound also on Lake Palestine and they all came from completely different areas of the Lake. I expect an SAL either this year or next out of Palestine.

I was gonna say this but you said it first, I heard about the 13.4. And I know where it was caught, and prob all of em.
Posted By: wormman

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 10:02 PM

Well I threw back the ray Hubbard black crappie record. was a shade over 3 lbs.
Then my uncle goes and catches a 2.99 and is still the current rec holder. I let him know about it every time I see him.
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/16/11 10:07 PM

There are some lakes who's records are from pretty much the same few people, because no one else takes the time to go through the record process. I wouldn't really care if I held the record for an off species fish. All you know is that you have the biggest one recorded, not that you have the biggest caught (as you made evident here).
Posted By: Legendonrichland-chambers

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 12:48 AM

I threw back the lake record large mouth on Richland-Chambers.Also at the time i had not heard about the sal program.It was right at 15 lbs......now i feel like a dumb arse...
Posted By: doublez

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 12:56 AM

This was a crappie my great friend caught during a tournament. Didnt know it at the time but would have been an Oklahoma state record at the time...

Oh well
Posted By: James_C

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 01:02 AM

My Grandpa has a 14.75 Lb largemouth that he caught from Bob Sandlin hanging on his wall at his house. After he caught the fish he continued fishing and it died shortly after words in his livewell. Which at the time he didn't realize it was a record and turning it in wasn't his priority. But its pretty awesome to look at that fish. I know he didn't throw it back but he's an old timer and he fished to eat back then.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 01:48 AM

I have never been close to having this problem. However, a friend of mine showed me pictures of a smallmouth on Texoma and pics of the digital reading on the scale on a smallmouth that weighed 7 3/4 pounds which would have crushed the current record and would have been close to the state record. He said he thought the state record was almost 10.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 01:59 AM

State catch and release record is 28". I caught one that was 29" last spring. I don't have the proof to claim it. Not really worried about it.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 02:01 AM

Did last year here on Texoma. Had a Spot that weighed 4.10 on my cull-m-rite. This scale is usually 1 oz +/- from tournament weigh scales. Being I have caught many big spotted bass in Cali, i didn't think much about it until after I let it go. I found out the lake record was 3.86
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 02:14 AM

Mike,
you still have some weight to make up it is 4.38 on the Texas side if that makes you feel any better. It would be larger on the Oklahoma side than 4 pounds but Oklahoma used to only keep State records not water body records. The Texas side record is the 4.38. I really wish they would do a true Texoma record list instead of one list for each State. I have seen Harp catch 2 over 4 pounds in Oklahoma water on Texoma.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=0723
Posted By: ChineWalker

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 02:22 AM

Whats the big deal ? ...... I`ve thrown back several lake records,.........i`ll post some pic`s later if i have time,.....
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 04:12 AM

I caught a lake record Yellow Bass last year. It was the first one caught in that lake (according to the marina) and there's still no lake record on the books so I could do it again. I caught another one a few weeks ago so I guess I did it twice now. Both were released.
Posted By: rofd-ff-engineer

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 04:53 AM

do stickfish count? bang

I've landed some bigguns!! rolfmao
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
Mike,
you still have some weight to make up it is 4.38 on the Texas side if that makes you feel any better. It would be larger on the Oklahoma side than 4 pounds but Oklahoma used to only keep State records not water body records. The Texas side record is the 4.38. I really wish they would do a true Texoma record list instead of one list for each State. I have seen Harp catch 2 over 4 pounds in Oklahoma water on Texoma.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=0723

I agree, they need one record for Texoma. But we know that will never happen.
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 07:12 AM

My partner at the time, who actually came by house today and he and I and our boys got to fish for a while...We have known each other for 30+ years and dont see each other much anymore...Well enough of that!

We fish Fork allot back the 80's...He caught a grennel/bowfin/mudfish....That BUSTED UP a spook one moring, it weighed 16 pounds on our scale...A few months later we ran across the record on fork at that time the grennel/bowfin/mudfish record was 13 pounds!!!! bang
Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 01:13 PM

Yes I threw back a 3.09 spotted bass on EM.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 04:03 PM

I threw back the Lake record Drum on cedar creek 2 years ago I thought I had hooked a monster bass I was so disapointed. I could of cared less if it was a lake record.
Posted By: Baylor12

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 05:31 PM

Sadly I let the Lake Record Smallmouth on Lake Waco go. There hasnt been one weighed in, and I threw a 3lber back after a Wednesday Tourny out there last year.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/17/11 05:48 PM

Earlier today I posted "big prespawn vilbig" and she was probably the lake record. Currently at 9.2 it would have been close. I simply didn't want to stress her and I had a Vilbig tourney the following week, I wanted her to stay put!!!
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/25/11 10:26 AM

I threw back a 3.1 lb yellow bass from Bayou D'arbonne in north LA back in HS.

WORLD record by about 0.4 oz. crying
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Throwing back lake record - 03/25/11 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: hawgranger

Ageed, the weights are way up this year for tournaments. Last month this happened at our club t:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...s_C#Post5903736

Gonna be soon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum