Texas Fishing Forum

Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added)

Posted By: saskeeter

Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/19/10 05:50 PM

On September 7, 2008, I fished the 2008 2nd Annual Anchor Marine Big Bass Tournament on Choke Canyon hosted by BASSCHAMPS. While fishing with my 17 year old son, I caught a 10.86 lb bass which was the largest of the tournament and won the grand prize which was a 2009 Skeeter SX 190-Yamaha 150 HPDI. I never took delivery of this new boat and elected to have Anchor Marine sell it for me on consignment. I already had a boat and figured Anchor Marine which is in the boat selling business could sell it for more than I could. About once a month I would call and check the status of the boat and see if anyone was interested. Knowing that the economy had hurt the boating industry, I wasn't surprised that it didn't sell quick. The first part of this year I was told that there was a person up in the pan-handle that was interested in the boat and had put a deposit down on it. Over the next few months I was told a number of different times that the buyer would be in San Antonio in a few weeks and then we could wrap up the deal. A few months later I was told that the boat had developed spider cracks from sitting on the lot and that they needed to get it repaired under warranty before the buyer picked it up. Late this summer someone tells me that the boat that I had won had been sold a long time ago and that I needed to confront Anchor Marine about this. On 8-26-2010, a good friend of mine and I show up at Anchor Marine one morning. We met Tony Alvarez,Sr.(President and COO of Anchor Marine) in his office. Rather than make any accusations, I just told Tony that I was here to pick up the boat and sell it myself. He said that the boat wasn't there and that it had been sold but that I was going to get my money. He apologized for his company's actions and basically said that his son Tony, Jr. had made alot of bad business decisions. After he was done apologizing, I asked if I could get a check today. He said absolutely and went and got one. Twice over the next 2 weeks I presented the $23,000 check from Anchor Marine to his bank and both times there was non-sufficient funds. On 9-9-2010 I went to the Bexar County District Attorney's Office-Check Section and filed a report for this hot check. The criminal investigator for the DA's office is Jay Neumann and he is in the process of gathering information on the case. He has contacted Anchor Marine and at this time they are unwilling to resolve this and just seem willing to let the DA's office proceed with their criminal prosecution. I have contacted Skeeter and Basschamps and am in the process of obtaining all information possible in regards to the boat so as to help the DA's office. I have attempted to keep my opinions and theories as well as rumors that I have heard out of this story. Winning a BASSCHAMPS event was a dream come true, one of the highlights of my life. I can't believe this has happened.

BASSCHAMPS is a super organization and represents the finest in bass tournaments. I as a bass fisherman appreciate all that you do!!!

James T. Bryant, D.C.

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 05:57 PM

Wow

They need to own up to it
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 05:58 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Barn

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 06:01 PM

Sounds like they owe you a boat. Maybe just tell them you will take one of the 2010 models they have in stock?

Heck you can probably press charges for theft and not mess with the "hot check" angle.
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 06:12 PM

wow!!!!
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 06:20 PM

You should look into sueing them in civial court as well.I would consult a lawyer sooner than later.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 06:51 PM

I havent ever heard anything good from Anchor Marine.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 06:56 PM

WoW! They need to make good on it. That is unbeleivable.

I hope that it all works our for you.

On the Other hand. Congratulations on your win! Keep it positive and it will all work out.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:04 PM

According to the investigator, I am not suppose to negotiate anything with Anchor Marine. They have to go through the DA's office to get this resolved. I would think they would be highly motivated to prevent criminal charges. Obviously, I have been in contact with my attorney's office for awhile.
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

Yes they do need to make good on it! A local news website, also had a story about another consignment problem at Anchor. I have a feeling, there are more out there.

http://www.kens5.com/news/consumer/Boat-...-105082389.html

Maybe we will get a new and improved Skeeter dealership out of this mess.
Posted By: Stogie

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:14 PM

You will find out shortly about other things going down with Anchor Marine.
Posted By: OIF3

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:37 PM

Wow this sounds some what familiar with Anchor Marine. I bought a used boat there in June, it was supposed to have a chip in the lowrance, got home and no chip made phone call and got excuses. The boat was supposed to have been checked out at least was charged for it. One trolling motor battery would not take a charge, got it straightend out but still had to make an extra trip. Trailer plug was chewed up not a biggie I fixed that. Took two and half moths to finally get the certificate of number for a vessel card thought the state might have been dragging there feet called TPWD no paper work there was still at Anchor. Have called and left messages with both Tony Sr&Jr and no call back. Needless to say I will not go back and recomend others to go somewhere else.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:40 PM

Anchor Marine sounds like a fine bunch of outstanding folks....what a joke....I would contact their E&O carrier and file a claim.
Posted By: OIF3

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: reddrooster
Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

Yes they do need to make good on it! A local news website, also had a story about another consignment problem at Anchor. I have a feeling, there are more out there.

http://www.kens5.com/news/consumer/Boat-...-105082389.html

Maybe we will get a new and improved Skeeter dealership out of this mess.
If I read this right both parties pay a "make ready fee"
Posted By: jsix321

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 07:55 PM

Dang that stinks, hope you get it all worked out and congrats on the win..
Posted By: threeseas

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 08:17 PM

sonds like a bunch of down home CROOKS to me ...congrats on the win tho........
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 08:26 PM

Man, that sounds awful. I really hope you get this situation resolved to your satisfaction!!!

This prob won't make you feel any better, but most people (including me) probably would've never thought a sizable business like Anchor Marine would dare and try and pull something like that. Really unbelievable...

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 08:58 PM

What do you guys think will happen criminally? Jail time? How would you compare it to the Robby Rose fiasco?
Posted By: FX Dreamweaver

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 09:01 PM

Sign ot the times,crooks abound.Sounds like they need a "stimulus" check.
Posted By: South TX Legend

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 11:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I personally would not recomend anchor marine to anyone for business either and I will leave it at that.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 11:21 PM

Whoa. Man, JT, that really stinks. I hope this turns out good for you. I've never had a reason to do business with them, and now I have a solid reason not to. Getting an equal bad taste in my mouth, on a much smaller scale, with Gunn chevy. I won a toolbox at a skeet shoot, and have been getting the run around on where the money is for it. Must be in the water in San Antonio.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 11:24 PM

Sounds like they are going to file bankrupty since they act unconcerned about the investigation and in turn he will get very little if any money out of it plus I am sure they are incorporated and personally they can't be libel, just the marina , and especially since it was a sell my boat please deal-sad-sad
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 11:43 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: kamerai

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/19/10 11:45 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I hope everything turns out right and you get whats coming to you. I also hope that these crooks get everything that coming to them. Go after individuals criminally and business civil. Make it sting.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 12:57 AM

Hot check over $10k is serious business. I had a similar dealing on a consignment boat that someone else sold for me and the $ 11K check was hot. My boat was gone and I still owed the Credit Union at that point. The DA was able to get them to make it good. If not they were looking at possible prison time.

According to the DA in Brazoria County filing Bankruptcy wasn't going to get them out of the hot check issues. It's different than not paying back creditors you owe which is a part of bankruptcy.
Posted By: MV

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 01:50 AM

grand theft plus others
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 01:59 AM

Good luck. Hope you get it all worked out satisfactorily soon. Sounds like the DA needs to hurry things up a little.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 12:53 PM

To give you a better feel about how this whole thing feels, I added a couple of pics of the tournament. Sorry they are so large. I played with my photo-bucket account for about 30 minutes and for some reason could not get them any smaller.
Posted By: BB2Fan

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 01:32 PM

You might think about talking to an attorney of your own for losses besides the direct loss of the boat. The attorney will fill you in.
Posted By: Perfection

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 01:35 PM

Sounds like the same [censored] that went down up here in Southern Ohio / Northern Kentucky.. Dealer was Plapp's Pro Outdoors and dealt in Tritons, Bullets and Skeeter as well as ATV's and Campers..

They were selling consignment items and keeping the money and sticking it to people.. ALL kinds of bad stuff they were invovled in.. They folded up shop and filed bankruptcy.. To my knowledge they pretty much got off with really nothing happening to them..

They got me for like $900 on a boat warranty deal...
Posted By: bassman1

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 02:15 PM

This just sucks. Hope you get the satisfaction(Money) you are looking for. Good luck.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 03:12 PM

Hey you got a nice trophy though!!

Seriously though this isn't right and they need to come clean with it
Has champs said anything about it?
Posted By: Bgjig

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 03:26 PM

Where is the title/registration to the boat?

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 03:50 PM

Jeff Welch of BC sounded ticked off about it. They are working on getting me as much information as possible about the boat so that I can provide it to the DA. Obviously I have talked to my attorney about this.

The trophy is real nice!!!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 04:31 PM

Hope you get what you deserve

And hopefully Anchor Marine will get what they deserve
Posted By: ICFISH

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 06:08 PM

I would(if you havent) contact TPWD and file a complaint. Since Anchor has a dealers license (i am assuming they do) TPWD can also fine them and or suspend their license and assist you in this matter.

Also, if you can find out who purchased the boat send them a letter informing them of the situation and request that the boat be returned. It is still your boat and you have the right to your property. The purchasing should also go after Anchorage for what is owed to them once the boat has been return. Anchor has violated the DTPA as well as committed fraud and breach of contract.

I am sure your attorney knows that, but holler at me if I can help you. I am working on something similar to this but with a car instead.

Here is a link to a complaint form http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_185_e0100_complaint.pdf
Posted By: Texas Smoke

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 06:36 PM

I would be contacting Skeeter, Majek, and all of the other manufacturers that they sell and tell them about your experience and also point them to the KENS5 news segment linked earlier in this thread.

I can't imagine that any boat manufacturer worth a [censored] would want to be associated with this dealer. If Skeeter is still associated with them this time next year, I would be very dissapointed in them. Who is the Skeeter rep for that part of Texas ? He needs to know about this.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/20/10 07:21 PM

That is a very bad mistake on the part of management. The sad thing is there are some really great guys that work there. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction soon.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/21/10 02:26 PM

Just in case y'all didn't see the local station story...
http://www.kens5.com/home/Boat-consignment-deal-gives-on-family-a-sinking-feeling-105082389.html

"Eyewitness Wants to Know considers the Mireles’ issue resolved!"
rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao

Resolved with a hot check!! If they even get a check!!
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/21/10 02:55 PM

That absolutely sucks!

I hope it all gets resolved.

I always thought that passing a hot check was a serious criminal offense in Texas.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare - 10/21/10 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
I always thought that passing a hot check was a serious criminal offense in Texas.

It is! There were some dirty dealings going on over there. realmad

It's a real shame.
Posted By: BassinDave

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/21/10 11:14 PM

Man I am sorry that is happening to you. I can tell you that the future of Skeeter in San Antonio is a bright one with the new dealer they have, but that doesn't solve your current dilemma.

I would hope Skeeter would step up and do something for you (this would be a tremendous PR move), but it will probably come down to a lean on Anchor's assets as they sell off I imagine. Frankly, one of the owners need to go to jail!!!

Who knows, you may end up with a better deal in the end. You are a steller person and it will be rewarded in some way!

I am sure this is really getting Chad with Bass Champs upset!

Wishin' you the best.
Posted By: Fishing South Texas

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 12:23 AM

Hey Bassin Dave,
Is there going to be a new Skeeter Dealer in San Antonio or is Anchor Marine being bought out by a new investor?
Posted By: McKinney Machine

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 12:35 AM

After reading all this If I ever win a boat the first thing I will do is title it and get it in my name and I can go from there. Thanks for the post and sorry you having to go through all that.
Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 12:46 AM

Isn't basss champs somewhat responible for this situation?

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

how ?
Posted By: South TX Legend

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BassinDave
Man I am sorry that is happening to you. I can tell you that the future of Skeeter in San Antonio is a bright one with the new dealer they have, but that doesn't solve your current dilemma.

I would hope Skeeter would step up and do something for you (this would be a tremendous PR move), but it will probably come down to a lean on Anchor's assets as they sell off I imagine. Frankly, one of the owners need to go to jail!!!

Who knows, you may end up with a better deal in the end. You are a steller person and it will be rewarded in some way!

I am sure this is really getting Chad with Bass Champs upset!

Wishin' you the best.

What new Skeeter Dealer? Could have fooled me. I have not seen one.
Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke

how ?

If the dealer was associated with the tournie? I asked "Isn't basss champs somewhat responible for this situation?" And you answered my question , "how".

I was asking a question

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke

how ?

If the dealer was associated with the tournie? I asked "Isn't basss champs somewhat responible for this situation?" And you answered my question , "how".

I was asking a question

I'm no lawyer but..personally, I don't see how BassChamps could be considered responsible one bit. One of their sponsors did something illegal after the tournament. BassChamps didn't do anything wrong.
Posted By: champRD

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 02:54 AM

I am with you Doug. You will see that most will not ask why or how! But i am very interested on their view (BASS CHAMPS) on this.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 03:09 AM

The dealer wasn't associated with the tourney.

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 03:12 AM

Skeeter and BassChamps are in no way responsible for the theft of my boat/money!!! Oh and by the way, I am a proud owner of a Skeeter ZX 225. My boat rocks!
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Anchor Marine-Bass Champs Big Bass Tournament Nightmare *** (Pics Added) - 10/22/10 03:17 AM

Thanks for the clarification saskeeter. Before more wild speculation gets started that can drag good people in to a bad situation, we're going to lock this down. Please give us an update when you get some closure or new information.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum