Texas Fishing Forum

Flipping Line?

Posted By: NTXraider45

Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 04:21 AM

I got a new flipping rig with a 7'6" rod, was wondering what the best line wold be for this situation. Mainly going to use footballs jig and pigs and heavy texas rigs.
Posted By: joho5

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 04:50 AM

I wouldn't flip a football jig, get a better head style for that unless you are flipping big boulders or rocks.

Water clarity cn play a role here, but 15-20lb fluoro would give you great sensitivity and less line visibility.

Posted By: Allison1

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 04:57 AM

Flipping heavy cover means starting out with a minimum of 20 pound line. I used to use alot of 25 pound test for heavy cover and 20 for boat docks. I still broke off my fair share.

I use Pline but Berkeley XT is a good stout line. I don't like Big Game but its tough and cheap.

Some people use flourocarbon but I haven't started playing with that yet. Most of my pitching is in cover and most places in N Texas has slightly off colored water so I just stay with mono or braid.

Posted By: its a fluke

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 05:28 AM

+1 on the football jig, you dont want that wide head in heavy cover. use a jig with a pointed head like a swim jig.

as far as line goes for flipping , 20# LFT fhp- flourohybrid pro.

If you dont wanna spend the bucks for that, PLine flouroclear is good stuff.Yozuri Hybrid is another good line.
Posted By: rajuncajun074

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 05:47 AM

+1 on football head jig also.

I use 20lb P-Line CXX on my jig rod, it is a co-polymer and is extremely smooth yet strong. I've tried the 20lb flourocarbon and I did not care for it because it was too stiff and kinked alot.

I also have a 7'3" Hvy Falcon Cara T7 and I have 30lb spiderwire braid on it. I use this rig for soft plastics like punching a craw or creature through the grass beds or at stumps or lay downs.
Posted By: bandy ray watkins

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 05:51 AM

braid all the way unless its super clear water then i still use braid lol most of ur bites r on the fall and its a reaction bite any way so there not paying that much attention to ur line just my theory sure helps get them out of heavy cover fast
Posted By: bassing1

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bandy ray watkins
braid all the way unless its super clear water then i still use braid lol most of ur bites r on the fall and its a reaction bite any way so there not paying that much attention to ur line just my theory sure helps get them out of heavy cover fast

+1

and check out www.oldhamjigs.com they are the best jigs on the market
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Flipping Line? - 07/05/10 07:00 PM

One rod will have 50# braid and another 20# momo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum