Texas Fishing Forum

Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again...

Posted By: barnez

Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/15/10 09:25 PM

After fishing top water and shallow cranks, I threw a booyah black/blue 1/2 oz spinnerbait on my crankbait rig for my last 10-15 minutes of fishing. I use a swivel on my crankbait rod and just threw my spinnerbait on that rod to save time. I tossed my sb, got a bump. Casted again about 20 feet past were I got the bump and she nailed it. Got her near the boat and she jumped. I guess when she jumped the swivel slid off of the 'r-bend' and down to the blade (see pic 1), in turn she quickly straigthen out my lure. Luckily the booyah held up and my Dad netted her.

This is why I'll never use a swivel for a open r-bend spinner bait again.

5.15 LMB

Posted By: GaryReynolds

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/15/10 09:29 PM

jus curious as to why u use a swivel anyways??? not bashing jus wondering

oh by the way good fish
Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/15/10 09:44 PM

If you’ll place a very small o-ring over the R-bend then a snap will work the vast majority of the time. Personally, I prefer the twisted bend spinnerbaits. With them there is no such problem.

TFP
Posted By: Used Nitro

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/15/10 09:51 PM

I'll always tie a spinnerbait directly to my line so I don't miss the light bite.
Posted By: Court

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/15/10 09:56 PM

TFP, I tried that with a small split ring, thought I was on to something, I only had minimal success. I have better luck just crimp the r bend around a small nail (tighten up the r bend) and tie direct, that works pretty good. My Hildabrants get slaughtered, I go through 3 on a good night of fishing.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: grnhead11

oh by the way good fish

noidea
Good response. Why use a swivel? Swivels take away from the action of lures. IF you have to use something on crankbaits then use Crosslock snaps.

Posted By: Ironman65

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 12:48 AM

Slip a short piece of sugical tubing from trailer hooks over R-bend, never had swivel fail!
Posted By: West Coaster

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 01:24 AM

Don't give up on that swivel just yet,try switching it to the other end of the spinner bait. Slide a skirt collar on the swivel before stickin it on with a treble hook atached to it with a snap ring. You won't believe the fish that will get hooked. PS can your dad be my net man?

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 03:14 AM

I honestly never knew there was a difference in the amount of action between a swivel and a snap. I'm thinking I just want to go to a closed loop design when possible. Thanks for the snap tip.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 04:44 PM

i would almost put money that your spinner bait would've looked like that anyways! Those big girls will mangle a spinnerbait at night..

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
i would almost put money that your spinner bait would've looked like that anyways! Those big girls will mangle a spinnerbait at night..

you may be right, she was working me over pretty good!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 07:18 PM

I'm curious, why do you use a swivel on your crankbaits and spiinerbaits, barnez? Never heard of it.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'm curious, why do you use a swivel on your crankbaits, barnez? Never heard of it.

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: barnez
I honestly never knew there was a difference in the amount of action between a swivel and a snap. I'm thinking I just want to go to a closed loop design when possible. Thanks for the snap tip.

I would recommend not using either. Once you practice a bit, it takes less than 5 seconds to tie a proper knot, and you have much better feel, action, and less chance of fouling your lure on a cast.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: grnhead11

oh by the way good fish

Ditto, makes no sense to me that one would ever use a swivel or snap swivel with a spinnerbait. I don't even like using them on crank baits. Don't have a lot of choice with C Rigs though.
Posted By: Bass Johnson

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 09:18 PM

I've had tons of spinnerbaits look like that with a regular knot...you get a bass over 3lbs that's hungry and doesn't want in your boat, they will straighten out that spinnerbait every time.

Also...from what I have noticed...booyah makes a pretty inferior product. I've had booyah chatterbaits hooks break off and spinnerbaits straighten out like that a lot.

Try terminators.

Re: Why I won't use a swivel for a spinner bait ever again... - 06/16/10 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Johnson
Try terminators.

I use terminators 90% of the time. Just never bought one in black w/ that big single colorado blade. I'll have to hunt a couple of them down.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum