Texas Fishing Forum

"Life jackets and kill switches!!"

Posted By: Greatwhitefather

"Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/12/10 11:44 PM

Lindy Roberts announced his retirement this morning--22 years of guiding! He has many friends, and I know we all wish him good health. JB
Posted By: buzzzfrog

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 12:23 AM

I wish him all the best to.But why the odd topic?
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 12:31 AM

And this has what to do with the title of this thread?
Posted By: Matt McClellan

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 12:34 AM

Its what he always says..."Lifejackets and Kill Switches"
Posted By: Trickster

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 01:28 AM

Linday was a regular guest on Saturday and Sunday morning on KRLD for fishing reports. (5:00AM+ He reported on Ray Roberts for the most part but fished all over Texas and LA and would give reports for those locations as well.

Wish you the best Lindy.

Posted By: K.D.

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: buzzzfrog
I wish him all the best to.But why the odd topic?

I recognized it as being about Lindy Roberts as soon as I read the title. It's kind of his motto and something he said every week on the radio to sign off his Roberts on Roberts fishing reports.

Best of luck to you Lindy.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 02:30 AM

I knew it was about Lindy as soon as I saw the topic. He don't like everybody, but if he likes you, he's a good SOB to have as a friend. I would say he'll be missed, but he really isn't going anywhere. I look forward to fishing with him soon out here on Sandlin or down at the coast.

That Navionics chip is sitting here on the shelf for you Lindy.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 03:29 AM

It was always fun to talk to Lindy at the Arlington show. Opinions were something he was never short on. smile Best wishes to him.
Posted By: Greatwhitefather

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 02:29 PM

Lindy is a good friend. He has some serious health problems, but I think it best if he responds if he wants to. He will still go to the meat market Saturday mornuings. Dicky Grant is still around--waiting for it to dry out so he can start his new home on the old family place up in Clarksville. Lindy and Dicky been friends a long time. JB
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 03:43 PM

i always enjoyed listening to Lindy at the shows and on the air. He will be missed. I like a man that says whats on his mind without sugar coating it wink Hes one of the good ol boys!
Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 04:00 PM

I immediately recognized the title as well. My wife actually told me about his announcement. She listens to the fishing reports on her way to work on Saturday mornings.
If I'm not mistaken, he also always said " and ladies, we're never more than 5 minutes form a bathroom"......or something close to that.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 04:04 PM

Good luck Lindy! Sell those GPS coordinates! grin
Posted By: senko9S

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 08:23 PM

Lindy is good people.

Posted By: RayBob

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 08:51 PM

I knew who it was about and I ain't in the Dallas radio market. I do get the Texas Fishing and Outdoors Show (with Brian Hughes) on local radio though.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/13/10 10:19 PM

Lindy is a good man. Known him a few years.

Posted By: snubnose

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 02:00 PM

Best wishes. He's one of a kind. I always liked his seminars. Very informative and good for some laughs.
Posted By: pete hollar

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 02:08 PM

I met Lindy fishing a Venture Vulture tournament on Texoma in the early eighties. At weigh-in, he said, "I don't know who put those brush piles out in Keeton Creek, but I'd kiss his arse." I told him to pucker up, cuz it was me. He said, "drop your drawers big boy". That was the start of a long friendship. Good luck, Lindy.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 02:16 PM

Good luck Lindy! Does this mean there will be a name change for that lake?
Posted By: BrentMeister

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 02:22 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this. I've listened to the show for years and always intened to take a trip with Lindy. I never did and could kick myself for allowing that opportunity to pass...

He was a kind man, obviously loved kids and getting people into fishing.

His message of 'lifejackets and kill switches buddy!' will forever ring in my mind when I'm on the water.

I wish him the best.
Posted By: TX Bass Ninja

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 03:36 PM

Man i wish Lindy the best of luck and thank you for your insporation.

Posted By: Archie Bunker

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 05:12 PM

My boat only has one kill switch on it.
Posted By: boatfisher

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 10:00 PM

I only went out with Lindy about once a year, but I learned about two years worth of information each time we went out.

Best of luck Lindy, I'll miss you.
Posted By: Ranger66

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/14/10 11:16 PM

I got to fish with him a couple of times over the years. Great guy, best of luck!!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/15/10 01:11 AM

Years ago, Lindy was a Police Officer up in Gainesville I think, this was after years of service in the military...

but this was already mentioned, he did not sugar coat anything ever, you ask him a question, he would tell you the answer if you liked it or not...he got my respect for that....

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/15/10 01:14 AM

still packin...
Posted By: Skeeter G

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/15/10 02:20 PM

Good Luck Lindy Semper Fi
Posted By: soonerjake

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/15/10 02:38 PM

So what does a guy do when he retires from fishing, rent an office and show up everyday for eight hours???
Posted By: adam_p

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 06/15/10 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: soonerjake
So what does a guy do when he retires from fishing, rent an office and show up everyday for eight hours???

harass redfish in the gulf and Canadian smallies I imagine
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 03:03 AM

Life Jackets and Kill Switches!!
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Life Jackets and Kill Switches!!

Best advice a guide can give...
Posted By: SC-001

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 03:39 AM

I remember him well from the radio show on KRLD that was his sign off when he would call in early Saturday morning.

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 06:43 AM

great friend fish
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 09:55 AM

Always liked his reports..."caught 42 up 4 pounds" interpretation - caught 1 about 4 pounds and 41 between 3 oz's and 2 pounds. I knew him from the show circuit and talked with him several times at Barlows Tackle. Glad to hear he is still up and at it and I hope he gets his health back in order. Best wishes on your retirement.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 11:34 AM

Talked with the 'Ole Fart' a couple months ago. He called outta the blue, said he's playing golf about 300 time a year. That's what a retired fishing guide does, I guess. Occasionally, he breaks out the fly rod and goes down to the golf course ponds and bugs his pets. He gets into town every now and then and usually slips up to Texoma for a smallie trip. If you see that old crab a$$, tell him I got a butcher knife on my work bench for him. He'll check in on this site from time to time.
Posted By: buda13

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 11:44 AM

We need him to come back and police all the headlight offenders at the ramps. roflmao If someone was backing down the ramp with their lights on you’d hear Lindy from the top of the hill yellin at em.
Posted By: 361V

Re: "Life jackets and kill switches!!" - 05/21/20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by KingChamp202
And this has what to do with the title of this thread?
“Life Jackets and Kill Switches” was his signature saying at the end of his KRLD fishing reports. I would have actually thought he had been in the Texas bass fishing scene longer than 22 years. Kinda one of those names you can’t remember not hearing(double negative).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum