Texas Fishing Forum

Flipping

Posted By: L.King

Flipping - 06/01/10 12:18 AM

When flipping trees in 10-20 ft of water, What do you flip? Line? Weight? Rod? Reel? Everything. Also, to catch suspending basson the trees. Any tips would help.
Posted By: Texan4Liberty

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 12:23 AM

Where are these trees your flippin in?
Posted By: L.King

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 12:29 AM

Ceders mostly but about every tree.
Posted By: StrikeWorks Tackle Co.

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 12:31 AM

Great questions! I personally use Strikeworks wood jigs and a lot of t-rig setup (brushhogs). I prefer a falcon heavy to med heavy 7' with 17lb to 20lb Lake Fork fluro hybrid pro line. I also prefer the curado E7 reel. It really depends on time of year and what the fish want. Hope this helps a little?
Posted By: buzzzfrog

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 12:44 AM

Falcon cara,heavy action65 lb braid,and a jig.
Posted By: c-dubz

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 03:31 AM

7'3" Falcon Cara Amistad with a Johnny Morris Signature Series flipping reel(JMX10HFA). If your flipping trees then you better have 50 - 65 or maybe even 80# braid.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 04:24 AM

You ain't Flippin'. You're Pitchin'.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 05:02 AM

sx-hs > dobyns 734c > 20lb xps > tungsten > 4/0 superline hook > brush hog or hyperstick
Posted By: joeycan24

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 05:21 AM

I like to flip wood with 25 pound flourocarbon, it cuts into the trees and brush heck of a lot less than braid. I use 7' or 7'6" heavy action Castaway Skeleton. Flip the grass with braid.
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 06:11 AM

7'6" loomis flippin stick, daiwa fuego 6.3 GR, 65# power pro, zoom magnum lizard or ole monster worm, as for the suspending fish a sinko isn't a bad bet...
Posted By: Bassonly

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 06:43 AM

7'6" Power Tackle PG104-76 with a Revo STX-HS. I prefer 25 pound fluorocarbon or Yo-Zuri Hybrid. As far as what I use, I try to let the fish tell me what they want. This weekend it was a 10" Power Worm and a 3/4-ounce Endzone jig. For the worm I generally use a 1/2-ounce Tru-Tungsten weight and a 7/0 Owner Oversized Worm Hook. To find the jig, click my signature. I use braid if necessary, and if I do it's going to be Sufix 65 pound with a PG104.5-76 rod.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 01:11 PM

vedetta heavy, xps 20# fluro 3/8's weight and a chigger craw... unless on amistad and then a power worm....
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 02:37 PM

Really it depends on the activity level. If you aren't catching them with the techniques mentioned above, which are really reaction type bites. Heavy weights are dropping the bait quickly through there which is a reaction. Try the opposite 3/16 ounce T-rig worms in the tops of the branches. I've caught them at Amistad doing that in 20ft of water. The fish were in the top 5 foot. Try a fluke with a keeler weight or heavy superline hook in the tops also.
Posted By: DWinn

Re: Flipping - 06/01/10 10:26 PM

6'10" Waterloo Scrape rod 3/4-1oz Oldhams Jig 65lb braid or 25lb Seagar Flourocarbon.
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: FZ1
what has water depth got to do with it ? you can flip 5 feet from the boat and feed line out to make your bait fall vertical to fifty feet or you can pitch 50 feet from the boat into five foot of water hmmm
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: daddystog
Originally Posted By: FZ1
what has water depth got to do with it ? you can flip 5 feet from the boat and feed line out to make your bait fall vertical to fifty feet or you can pitch 50 feet from the boat into five foot of water hmmm

Then you really don't know the difference in the techniques. 50 ft, thats one heck of a pitch!

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 05:11 AM

well may be I got a little excited with the pitch, but what does water depth have to do with it , if I'm flipping wood in water deeper than 5 feet I thumb the spool and feed line to make my bait fall vertical as close to the target as possible , rod in one hand free line in the other bring free line back to the rod as I swing my bait to the target as soon as my bait enters the water I start feeding line until it hits bottom
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 05:14 AM

well may be I got a little excited with the pitch, but what does water depth have to do with it , if I'm flipping wood in water deeper than 5 feet I thumb the spool and feed line to make my bait fall vertical as close to the target as possible , rod in one hand free line in the other bring free line back to the rod as I swing my bait to the target as soon as my bait enters the water I start feeding line until it hits bottom

flipping = spool already engaged thumb

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 05:21 AM

OK I stand corrected in my terminology , well I guess I do a lot of close quarters pitchin LOL
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 05:35 AM

OK I stand corrected in my terminology , well I guess I do a lot of close quarters pitchin LOL

Call it what you want !!!!!
You can hang a Fancy name on a Shi? house.(restroom)but it's still a shi?house....
Personally i only DOODLE SOCK....so there!

Re: Flipping - 06/02/10 05:54 AM

What J said. That's right,you are Pitchin'. I haven't seen a dedicated Flipper,on the water, in a long time.

Re: Flipping - 06/03/10 07:29 PM

doodle sock hmmm I'm thinking of buying a ardent flippin reel, so will not be flippin until I release the thumb bar ?

Re: Flipping - 06/03/10 08:24 PM

Save your money. Better just to use a reel with which you are familiar. All my reels are exactly the same.
Posted By: its a fluke

Re: Flipping - 06/03/10 09:47 PM

I still see lots of flippers and im one, but not in trees, fz1's right thats pitchin'. I flip boat docks, brush and mats.

for trees, i like to pitch a sweet beaver on a 3/0 staight shanked owner hook with 20# lft fhp line, curado 200 e7 reel and a st. croix legend 7'mh fast action rod. for suspenders, go with a lighter weight like 1/8 oz and dont peg it. let it fall over the branches and shake it a few times before you let it fall to the bottom.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum