Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts... What Areas?

Posted By: JTThomas

Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 04:22 PM

I'm fishng on Roberts in a couple of weeks, and have not been on the lake in 10 years. I used to fish it a lot, but don't have a clue what it looks like now and what is going on. Are there any weeds, Hydrilla? What creeks still produce fish?

Posted By: gonfshn

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 04:35 PM

The major change from 10 years ago is that the hydrilla is nearly all gone. The big hydrilla flat near Wolf Island that was so popular is rarely fished any more. It's much easier to get around in most of the coves as a lot of the pole timber has broken off at or below the surface. The fishing is still good in just about every cove, creek and arm in the lake! They tend to relate more to wood than before, but keep your eyes open for any milfoil or other vegetation you can find and that can be key. Seems like Indian is the predominant "favorite" arm for the bass fisherman, but I've had good success at some point virtually everywhere I've fished in the lake. It's a tough lake to figure out sometimes, but when you do...it's on! Good luck.
Posted By: Shep M

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 05:28 PM

Hydrilla is starting to come back in some areas. If you can find some, you probably find some fish in it.
Posted By: poker1980

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 09:41 PM

Never been on the lake does it have any boat lanes? Someone said it did not.
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 10:10 PM

No, there are no marked boat lanes. I suggest idling once you reach the timbered areas.... Even areas that appear clear can have huge stumps just under the surface.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 10:30 PM

I was out there last year with Danny Golden a guide on RR who obviously knows the lake VERY well. We were running on pad through stump fields. Talk about pucker factor! eeks
Hoping the fishing is better there this year.
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
I was out there last year with Danny Golden a guide on RR who obviously knows the lake VERY well. We were running on pad through stump fields. Talk about pucker factor! eeks
Hoping the fishing is better there this year.

You can definitely do that in many areas if you've fished the lake for a few years, but it takes some time.
Posted By: Tekell

Re: Ray Roberts... What Areas? - 03/23/10 11:44 PM

JT,

Most people agree that the best places are north of Wolf Island (Buck Creek), they're just the hardest to get to because of the no boat lanes problem. There are some good places on the south (state park cove) and west (Pond creek) ends of the lake too, they just tend to have a bunch of boats on them. Good luck if you go because the fishing has by all reports been tough.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum