Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Fishing....Luck?

Posted By: L.King

Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 09:53 PM

Today in class my friend and I were trying to convince nonfishermen that fishing has skill involved. They were saying that fishing is based on luck that out of 100 times they could beat KVD one time. When trying to convince them, they have a hard time understanding that there is alot of time and skill into finding fish.

Give me your thoughts about this and how you should convince them.
Posted By: JPost

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 09:55 PM

Not worth trying to convince a nonfisherman about anything about fishing.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:00 PM

Most people that don't fish think I'm certifiably insane just for doing it. They think all fisherman do is take a huge ice chest full of beer and a chair and some night crawlers and bobbers and sit in one spot all day. Not worth your breath. smile
Posted By: TTU_fisherman

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:01 PM

Unfortunatly there is some luck involved. Now, at the pro level, the more days a tournamet has the less luck is involved. Also, certain lakes have a higher element of luck.

Outside of tournaments there is some luck involved, but once again, the angler that has more skill and knowledge, will more often have better results than an angler than gets lucky.

I have had my fair share of luck over the years, so I dont consider it 'unfair' that someone gets lucky fishing in a tournament against me. It is part of fishing. Like you said though, KVD proves, that people that are better at fishing, win a lot more often than those that get lucky.
Posted By: bassdude10

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:16 PM

In a five bass tournament there is very little luck involved. Rick clunn said in a one day tournament he believes it is 30% luck.. in a 2 day tourney 10% luck and in a 3 day less than 3% and 4 day less than 1%.
i bet thats probably right on.. chances are someone wont get "lucky" and catch five bass big enough to win or get a good check but is much more likely someone could catch one big one and get big bass

Posted By: joho5

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:39 PM

tell them in 10000000000000 times that they wouldnt even come close to beating him.

Posted By: Ken G

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:42 PM

were they golfers lol
Posted By: lvngstonbassmn

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:42 PM

rolfmaoBeat Kvd, loco
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 10:43 PM

It's the dang ol COOKIES!

My wife has been making them for me since last year....I'm not sure she has the recipe exactly right!

Mine just don't work as well and his cookies do!

Anyone know what kind of cookies they are? I need the recipe!
Posted By: ctbassnut

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 11:04 PM

2 of them can fish against KVD and be spotted 10 lbs in a 2 day event and still would never beat him onc in 200 times!!!
Posted By: huntnfishtx

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 11:31 PM

I'm pretty sure they could fish the tank at BPS and KVD fish the aquariums at Walmart and KVD would still pull it off

Posted By: water_surge

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnfishtx
I'm pretty sure they could fish the tank at BPS and KVD fish the aquariums at Walmart and KVD would still pull it off

+1
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/22/10 11:53 PM

1 in a 100 Times would be luck beating KVD.
Posted By: L.King

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:39 PM

They keep asking what is a bass fisherman born with that anyone cant develop. Why is KVD so good?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:43 PM

Funny how the same small group of tournament anglers keep getting lucky.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:47 PM

I would suggest that KVD has an exceptional ability to concentrate on what he is doing for extended periods of time. He is dedicated to working hard at his job. Has a good information network and knows how to study and analyze the info that he gets. He appears to always be physically and mentally prepared and most certainly spends a lot of time on the water.

Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:52 PM

luck comes from preparation and experience.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ArgyleZOOM
They keep asking what is a bass fisherman born with that anyone cant develop. Why is KVD so good?

An insatiable desire to be the very best. The discipline to stay focused for three days of practice, usually sun-up to sundown followed by a four day tournament. The ability to adabt (correctly) to constantly changing conditions and fish behavior. The preseverance to overcome all types of distractions and obstacles while sticking to/refining a game plan.

Most of this can be developed but there are very few indivduals who have all the tools necessary to do that.

And yes, there is some luck (much of which one makes for themself) involved in fishing, but luck won't get you very far at the Elite levels.
Posted By: BS_Fisher

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 10:19 PM

Call their bluff. Challenge them to a tournament. If they can't beat you, they can't beat KVD.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 10:24 PM

These same people probably bet on horse racing, right?
Cuz you have to be lucky to win a race not fast.... thats what ive heard.
Posted By: dflipper

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/24/10 11:53 PM

I'd rather be lucky than good anyday! But its easier being good by practice and dedication everyday!!!!

Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
hammer
that is why I no longer fish any tourney's of any kind .
I am proven unlucky
Posted By: CWCW

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Most people that don't fish think I'm certifiably insane just for doing it. They think all fisherman do is take a huge ice chest full of beer and a chair and some night crawlers and bobbers and sit in one spot all day. Not worth your breath. smile

So true!!! I have had non fisherman ask me, "Doesnt it just get really boring sitting staring at the bobber, waiting for a fish to bite it?"
Posted By: Sooner Claus

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:40 AM

"Luck is a lazy man's estimate of a workers success." Anon.

You might want to ask the doubters, "Why is it that out of all the people that fish pro tournaments every year, basically the same few make The Classic every year"?

Of course, it's only non fishermen that doubt you anyway.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:44 AM

It's enough luck that,for most people,it should be a Hobby,not a Job.
Posted By: H20 Dawg

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 07:38 AM

Today in class my friend and I were trying to convince nonfishermen that fishing has skill involved. They were saying that fishing is based on luck that out of 100 times they could beat KVD one time. When trying to convince them, they have a hard time understanding that there is alot of time and skill into finding fish.

Give me your thoughts about this and how you should convince them.

They answered it themselves. If they beat him 1 time they got lucky, if he beats them 99 times then he is skilled. They are grossly underestimating their probabilties. It would be more like 1/100,000 or 1/1,000,000,000. They would have better odds if they spent their money on lottery tickets instead of fishing equipment to try to beat the best angler of this era. Tell them to stick with their debate team or chess club and move on.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:05 PM

Fouzman has it....discipline and determination. With the advent of the internet we all have access to the knowledge it takes to "figure them out" for the most part, it takes that little (or lot) extra to actually go out and do it, rain or shine, etc...using tactics you may not be fond of, learning new ones, and taking chances while on the water...lastly, the attention to detail! Making the little changes, like KVD's hooks on the rattlebait, that most are not willing to do but help bring that extra fish or two to the boat.

P_102
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
They think all fisherman do is take a huge ice chest full of beer and a chair and some night crawlers and bobbers and sit in one spot all day. smile

Well...uhhhhh....don't they?????? grin cheers grin
Posted By: jonboat_bassin

Re: Bass Fishing....Luck? - 02/25/10 12:36 PM

Why is anyone good at anything practice and experience and the ability to work hard at it everyday he can
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum