Texas Fishing Forum

ABA to start 150hp or less only trail

Posted By: Mark Perry

ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:04 AM

Kinda surprising. Seems like it will only take away numbers from their other divisions.

http://www.americanbassanglers.com/newsdetail.php?news_id=958
Posted By: Matt McClellan

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:15 AM

Hope the water doesn't get to rough.
Posted By: UNTbass222

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:23 AM

kinda cool but kinda doesnt make sense to me..

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: UNTbass222

They are saying guys will get to their fish faster and on an even level but if they still draw boat numbers to launch its the same as with a normal tournament. To me it just looks like people trying to "rules" themselves into a win. Kinda like the no jet boats, no Biosonix junk you hear about.
Posted By: Tejasbasshunter

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:40 AM

stupid

maybe they should also only allow one rod and two baits
Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 09:02 AM

i fish with a partner out of a 75HP boat....obviously against all sizes or motors...no worries...just cause you get there first doesn't mean you know how to catch the fish there....im down to go against any boat/angler!
Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 09:03 AM

i love to fish against Bankbeater, Even, Bogey, and a few others on here
Posted By: John175☮

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 11:04 AM

I have a Ranger 175 with a Yamaha 115. I never considered it a disadvantage. grin
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 11:56 AM

Stupid

Posted By: Bass&More

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 01:00 PM

Maybe they want to reduce there GHG's and be like Al Gore?

Save a penguin smile
Posted By: Chillin Da Most

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 01:55 PM

They are just reducing the amount of potential entries and thereby limiting their potential for success.
Posted By: TX Largemmouth

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Z21BassBoy

My 18' Cobra has a 150 on it and I have fished Amistad in 35 mph winds. It wasn't fun, but my boat & motor handled it just fine. Some of the guys in 20' boats with 225 HP were worse off than me.....they probably didn't know how to drive.

Now a boat under 16' on the other hand (which I am sure is what your comment was directed at)..........might have some trouble.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 02:44 PM

Look at the regions they are looking at. In those regions, they dont run the 21+' boats. More like a 19'

The lakes they run are river systems and a larger boat is sometimes a hinderance.
When I was out at Clarks Hill in GA a couple of years ago, that was the first thing I noticed, they all had smaller boats.

I think its more about trying to a broader based angler into tournament fishing. The guys with the 16' boat dont typically enter many tourments when they are already expecting the guy with the 21' to enter.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth

My 18' Cobra has a 150 on it and I have fished Amistad in 35 mph winds.

Sorry, but somehow I ain't buying your story........
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 03:45 PM

It wont fly in Texas.
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 03:47 PM

hear's the kicker, the guys running the 50hp motor. will be complaining about those big 150 motor. espeacially when they get modified.
Posted By: scott bellamy

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 03:58 PM

THAT WOULD KEEP ME FROM FISHING THEM .
Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 04:04 PM

Seems silly to me. I GUESS i kind of ALMOST see the point.. but not really. 18' skeeter with a 150 will still run faster than my lil 16.5' with a 75 hp.. BUT..

My lack of horsepower doesnt limit my ability to find or catch fish.

If I had my dream boat with a Merc250 on it, i would probably STILL not catch em! smile

Boats dont catch the fish, the anglers do.
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More

Save a penguin smile

flush
save a republican bush supporter and make it to where nobody can afford gas again.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Brazos Bass Cat
Originally Posted By: Bass&More

Save a penguin smile

flush
save a republican bush supporter and make it to where nobody can afford gas again.
hmmm
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 04:37 PM

I bet this is a push from the manufacturers. Boats with 150's don't cost over 60K.

Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim
I bet this is a push from the manufacturers. Boats with 150's don't cost over 60K.

I seriously doubt that is the case, manufactures and dealers make a lot more profits on the high end boats.
They offer the small rigs as entry level boats for anglers on a budget, I have never owned a bass boat over 18' personally but would like to someday as at age 52 I like the comfort and roominess of the bigger rigs along with there level of safety in rough water.
As a tournament director I am very proud that most of my anglers are running the larger, safer rigs.
Posted By: TeamHillbilly

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 05:27 PM

BASS DID IT for years worked for them????
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: J C Outdoors
Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim

I seriously doubt that is the case, manufactures and dealers make a lot more profits on the high end boats.
They offer the small rigs as entry level boats for anglers on a budget, I have never owned a bass boat over 18' personally but would like to someday as at age 52 I like the comfort and roominess of the bigger rigs along with there level of safety in rough water.
As a tournament director I am very proud that most of my anglers are running the larger, safer rigs.

The question is less profit with more units sold or more profit with hardly any sold.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: TX Largemmouth

My 18' Cobra has a 150 on it and I have fished Amistad in 35 mph winds.

Sorry, but somehow I ain't buying your story........

The first day the winds were blowing 20 mph and my partner & I went about 20 miles to get to the area we were fishing.

The second day the winds were blowing 35 mph and we trailered to a closer ramp but still had to travel approx. 12 miles to get to the area. I was only able to run 30 - 35mph, but we got there and back without any big issues. It wasn't fun, but my boat handled it just fine.

There is one person on this forum that is in the same bass club I am in and was there for our 2 day tournament (crankin'_dave). He can back up my story, not that he should have to.

Maybe you just don't know how to drive a "smaller" boat?

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:07 PM

Jack is used to handling "small" things
Posted By: Champion1

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:22 PM

Seems silly to me. I have a 171 Champion with a 125 Merc and fish alot of tourneys. I do OK sometimes and sometimes not, its about fishing not who's boat is the biggest and brightest.
Posted By: Scott Gordon

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 06:30 PM

If you read the post on the ABA web site it appears that they have identified a market for these events and have the sponsor backing. It will be interesting to see how it grows.
Posted By: HunterBass

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion1
Seems silly to me. I have a 171 Champion with a 125 Merc and fish alot of tourneys. I do OK sometimes and sometimes not, its about fishing not who's boat is the biggest and brightest.

Exactly. These type of tourneys eliminate all the hot shot wrapped up double powerpole guys. It gets rid of all the flash. It gets back to just catching fish.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 07:38 PM

It's all about the money. they have found another way to make money. It's like all the select Baseball, soccer, basketball..etc.. Market it so, that it appears that they are in the best interest of the angler or athlete and people will spend the money. JMHO
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HunterBass

Exactly. These type of tourneys eliminate all the hot shot wrapped up double powerpole guys. It gets rid of all the flash. It gets back to just catching fish.

So you will be there with your cane pole and spoon?

Not sure why this comment is offered, sorry to step on toes, but I get out fished by all the wrapped up double power pole guys everytime i go out. Thats why they have that stuff is because they can catch fish. obviously or the wrapped up sponsor provider wouldnt be there.
Posted By: wackEmaster

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 07:49 PM

I like the idea. It gives guys that would not fish these bigger tournaments because of their boat size a reason to come out and be a boater. I bet this will do better than everyone thinks. I am curious to see if they will incorporate this in a Texas division. I think everyone will be surprised.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: wackEmaster
I like the idea. It gives guys that would not fish these bigger tournaments because of their boat size a reason to come out and be a boater. I bet this will do better than everyone thinks. I am curious to see if they will incorporate this in a Texas division. I think everyone will be surprised.

Ray Scott was talking about doing something similar at the 2009 Classic. I think it could work and may even draw out a few people who are looking for a different format. If people didn't experiment, we would never advance anything.
Posted By: Tejasbasshunter

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
[quote=wackEmaster]If people didn't experiment, we would never advance anything.

I Hooters has a experimental series comming out, how will it do?

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 10:45 PM

I think it will do well in that market. There are alot more aluminum and small fiberglass boats there than there are 21+ with 250's
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 11:41 PM

more tournies, another division= less anglers per tourney= lesser payouts. just watering it down even more..
Posted By: Bluetick

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 11:47 PM

When you send in the Triton questionaire with your warranty paper work there is a question that ask if you would fish a tournament that only allows 150hp and under. Im guessing they have had enough response that they think it will work. They didn't just come up with this over a couple of beers.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/21/09 11:49 PM

after thnking more about it... maybe it WIL pull a lot of folks who didnt feel thier smaller HP boat was adequate to fish a larger circuit. Only time will tell. i am anxious to see how it does.
Posted By: ChampionNate

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 02:54 AM

Makes sense. Probably would draw owners of shorter boats that don't fish other trails or fish as back seaters because they feel they are at a disadvantage in bad weather. Yes you can make long runs in a 18' boat in waves. It also takes longer to make those runs and lost fishing time, thus a competitive disadvantage. If most competitors were the similar sized boats it wouldn't seem as if you were out equipped (bigger boat that would make longer runs in bad waves quicker) that beat you, but that you just got out fished
Posted By: TexasBoyah734

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 03:04 AM

I run a 18ft 84 bass Tracker for 2 yrs now that has a 75hp merc!! I have fished in prob 15 tourneys on the vine and have cashed in 1/2 of them!! I'm buying a triton when the boat show comes to town so this wont apply to me anymore but I think that is stupid!! I cant out fun anyone that fishes the workin mans trails but seem to always bring in a good sack of fish!! Stupid Idea in my book!! its not the boat. . . its the fisherman!!
Posted By: Allison1

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 03:33 AM

When BASS was the standard they had a 150 hp limit. It was not stupid then to have another circuit limit horsepower to 150. When the FLW set their limit at 250, my thinking is that BASS was forced to follow or lose fishermen who could not have two boats.

I am glad there is a tournament circuit that limits their boats to 150. It will limit the number of boats and I don't think at this time it will fly well but if they can survive a couple years it may get more of a following.

Nobody calls BASS or the FLW stupid for having a 250 hp limit. I wonder why its not smart to have a 150 hp limit? Sounds like it might work.

Posted By: TexasBoyah734

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
When BASS was the standard they had a 150 hp limit. It was not stupid then to have another circuit limit horsepower to 150. When the FLW set their limit at 250, my thinking is that BASS was forced to follow or lose fishermen who could not have two boats.

I am glad there is a tournament circuit that limits their boats to 150. It will limit the number of boats and I don't think at this time it will fly well but if they can survive a couple years it may get more of a following.

Nobody calls BASS or the FLW stupid for having a 250 hp limit. I wonder why its not smart to have a 150 hp limit? Sounds like it might work.

its all about pre-fishing and knowing how to fish!! I dont think at all that I have a disadvantage with my 18ft Tracker eith a 75 on it and 2 pos graphs and a 55lbs thrust tm!! i'm not at a disadvantage at alL!! I know how to fish and I know how to find fish!! Just my boat is a lot slower and rougher in bad conditions but I still take it out every week and compete with Bass Cats/ skeeters/ ranger so on and so forth!! So i dont have to hear about it not bein dumb!! Step up and fish like a man!! Dont be scared that your running 40 when everyone else is runnin 65-70! Go out there and find a patern and put it to work!! this is called Fishing not "I run to slow so I'm gonna get beat all the time!!!" Grow a Pair!! and also its easy for your to say its cool when your running an allison!! Sorry its directed to you but I had to say it to someone and you were the last to repond!!

Posted By: Bluetick

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 03:52 AM

Im at a loss here. B.A.S.S. fished for years with the pros fishing out of 18ft boats with 150hp max. Why is it stupid now? If you have a 250hp then don't worry about it. If you have a 150hp or less then go fish and have fun. Wraps, Power Poles, 250hp motors and a couple of stickers on you back glass does not make you a better fisherman.
Posted By: J Rankin

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 04:04 AM

Its not even in Texas???Why worry...

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 04:06 AM

Ive got a 20ft with a 150hp..that still runs 62mph..quess i wouldnt qualify???

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ADogNamedCatfish

Not sure why this comment is offered, sorry to step on toes, but I get out fished by all the wrapped up double power pole guys everytime i go out. Thats why they have that stuff is because they can catch fish. obviously or the wrapped up sponsor provider wouldnt be there.

Thats my point. Give the average angler a shot. Takes some of the big boys out and gives the 75's and the Weekend warriors a shot.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 05:38 AM

The best bass fishing I will likely experience in my lifetime was the first 10 years Fork opened out of a '68 Power Cat with a '69 85 HP Johnson. GOOD Times!
Posted By: adam_p

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: J Rankin

Wait til a little Allison shows up

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: adam_p

Mine has never gone over 74....honest.

Posted By: jwinit

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 05:58 AM

popcorn2 what are some top speeds that yall have had your 150 at i had a 200 once and had it topped out at 67 with two ppl and fished out of a 250 that we had it at 71 once (dont know if it had more or not wasnt driving) but i have a 18foot skeeter with a 150 now have not had it on the water just courious

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 01:27 PM

65 mph (gps speed). It was about 10 degrees outside & the water temp was just below 50. My boat is a 2001 Cobra 180 with a 2001 Mercury XR6 150 HP.

On a normal tourny day I run 61 mph top end. That is with 3/4 tank of gas, full live wells, & my 80 lb. white shepherd/wolf.
If my partner is fishing with me, I can run just under 60 on top end.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 02:32 PM

It doesnt make sense to me either. A bigger HP outboard doesnt catch you more fish. We went from an 85 hp to a 225hp and it hasn't caught me anymore fish. Bigger boat is just safer in rough water.
Posted By: Stacey Dude

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/22/09 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ADogNamedCatfish

Having a wrapped boat does not always mean skill. Sometimes it means that you talk a good game or that you bought the wrap yourself. Not saying that about you personally but how does having a 150 HP or less mean you fish with a cane pole?

Why does it matter if they have a HP limit. I mean if it is not a success then they will cancel it. Maybe it will be and some who do not want to enter the bigger ones will enter. More power to anyone who does it.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 12:15 AM

mine is a 20ft with a yam prov 150 and it tops out at 61mph
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 02:24 PM

Has anyone read the article in American Bass Angler magazine? Tells how the new trail came about.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane

It doesnt make sense to me either. A bigger HP outboard doesnt catch you more fish. We went from an 85 hp to a 225hp and it hasn't caught me anymore fish. Bigger boat is just safer in rough water.

Faster boats, bigger boats or whatever. They are a tool. They mean X amount of value to the fisherman. There is no perfect size to accommodate all tournaments and for most of us cost in purchase and operation are limited. Normally we can only choose one boat.

A comparison from a small boat to a large boat might be like this.
A 75hp boat going 40 compared to a 21 foot boat going 75.
In a large run like 150 miles the larger boat will have over an hour more fishing time in a days fishing.
In a short run that may only be minutes.
Also fishing heavy seas is easier and possible in some cases where a smaller boat just can't do it.

So in some cases the need for a larger boat can be dramatic. In some instances not needed at all but since we usually choose one we get one that will do the most for what we can afford.

Yes, fishing ability is most important but the right boat opens more of the lakes up and increases fishing time........some of the time.

Posted By: adam_p

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
Originally Posted By: adam_p

Mine has never gone over 74....honest.

Which is faster than most boats with 250s

Posted By: nitroslim

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 07:26 PM

I know of several people who may be good sticks, but wont fish tourneys any longer because they get run over on the water during take off.

I fish Media Big D team. We are either in a pro craft 17.6 with a 115 or my boat, Nitro 17.6 with a 115. Both will run about 48-50 on a good day loaded down.

We have cashed checks each year we have fished, but learned pretty quick that we dont need to be in the first flight. You get tracked down pretty quick and passed, which can make the run pretty dicey in the AM.

I think that this exposes more people to tourneys, a few people might leave a "non restricted" trail to fish this one, I enjoy Media to much to leave it, and besides, I like the fact that most tourneys we have one of if not the smallest and slowest boat, and can still compete ( finished 41 out of 201 in the media champ at CC )
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 07:47 PM

I think the real intent here is an attempt to separate the so called "weekend anglers" from the pros. ABA is banking on the fact that there are people out there who like to fish tournaments, but for whatever reason, feel like they don't really have a shot at winning, so they choose to sit it out. By restricting the equipment, ABA is telling these weekend anglers that they won't be competing against the pros and wanna be pros. Now whether or not this actually works remains to be seen.

And one other thought - If this circuit does take off and start drawing good numbers and having good payouts, how long will it take before the "pros" start showing up in either a borrowed boat or perhaps they'll even invest in a second boat.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 08:04 PM

If anyone is interested, Im starting a trail strictly for boats with 250 or greater HP engines. I think it will eliminate the threat of anglers who spend more time fishing than driving around. Also, you must have side imaging.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/23/09 08:53 PM

Are they going to be required to wear those silly shirts with all the patches on them?
Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TDR_2
If anyone is interested, Im starting a trail strictly for boats with 250 or greater HP engines. I think it will eliminate the threat of anglers who spend more time fishing than driving around. Also, you must have side imaging.

You get that one started and we will start a belly boat trail and restrict the size of the fins so no one can have an advantage because they can afford bigger fins.
And no there will not be any of those fancy shirts, matter of fact if we catch you wearing a shirt during tournament hours you will be DQ'ed. LOL

Just being light hearted I wish them the best, I fished a mini boat trail back in the 80's and we had a ball, basically a bass buster trail. We then adopted a 12' minimum length and 10 hp limit for the guys who had flat bottoms. Was not long before guys started buying 15 hp motors and putting 10 hp cowlings on them. Tricking out the boats. Let me tell you a 12' flat bottom with a 15hp motor will cover some water. Suddenly it was about the race not the fishing.

Same thing will happen here, guys will be tweaking those 150hp boats to the limit and creating dangerously fast 16 and 17 foot boats, its the nature of men. It is good for the marine dealers because speed cost money and usually results in lots of repairs.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 12:58 AM

Just get an Allison. They are safe at 70 and few will keep up with them. Heck a 2002 will probably do close to 80.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Posted By: daddystog

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 03:25 AM

My Little Tin Can runs 64, I've never felt at a disadvantage by what I give up in speed, if anything it's fishing with guys whose electronics cost more than My whole Rig!
Posted By: SFAbassguy

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluetick
Im at a loss here. B.A.S.S. fished for years with the pros fishing out of 18ft boats with 150hp max. Why is it stupid now? If you have a 250hp then don't worry about it. If you have a 150hp or less then go fish and have fun. Wraps, Power Poles, 250hp motors and a couple of stickers on you back glass does not make you a better fisherman.

my sfa, and tff sticker has allowed me to put an extra 5 to 6 fish each trip.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 05:33 PM

I ain't skeered. I don't know why there is any horsepower restriction. I have an Allison hotfoot and a jackplate off an Allison. Picked up a good .3mph and 2.6 additional lbs of fish per tournament. Biggest change that made a difference was my electronics and getting away from memory fish.
Posted By: charner

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/24/09 07:46 PM

i have a 17.5 ft skeeter with 90 horse that runs 45-50 and i fish as a coangler in the weekend series cuz there is now way i would be able to get to any of the spots i want before someone has already fished it. i think it would be good to have a "separate" division like this it wouldnt take away from other tournys bc i have only seen one boat with 150hp on it and never one under. i guess i understand it if you think everyone will sell there 200-250hp and get a 150 to be able to enter... ya right
Posted By: Clucky

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/25/09 08:05 PM

Not scared to fish with the big boys here and I know full well that a big boat doesn't catch fish, I have had both. With the BC tourney approaching on Amistad I am a little leary about fishing it out of a 17'8" 1985 Ranger with a 150, I will fish it but will be praying for light winds. I have been on Choke and Falcon with 6-8 footers and it is no fun in my ride. So logically this is really not far off base in my opinion when you consider the following.

They target a different Base of Anglers that are
1. Feeling unequiped to fish against wrapped boats with power poles
2. Leary of big lakes, big winds and big waves in a small package
3. Leary of traveling 3 hours to big lakes to fish a tourney considering items 1 and 2 above

They can now target more local and quite frankly smaller lakes (Notice the 150 boat limit), boost that economy and gather those benefits and tap into an upgrade market (think finders,GPS, Tackle etc that some of these smaller boat owners who fish for pleasure don't buy) into a market segment that was previously on the edge about fishing in some situations and against some big rig competitors.

Would I fish it, maybe, would I rather fish a tourney against the big boys with 250 boats, absolutley. I would imagine there will be some dilutting of larger tourneys, but I bet it won't be as bad as you think.

Posted By: Army

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/25/09 10:42 PM

I fish two clubs out of Odessa, and so I fish Amistad between 30-40 days a year rain or shine. I have seen it dead calm and with 6-8 foot swells coming over the front. I am a saftey first kind of guy, but I can tell you that I have never had any kind of probs. Oh yeah, I run a 19 foot Nitro with a 150 Merc.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/25/09 10:53 PM

rolfmao

Cuz Perry is a Rebel Rouser...........
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/25/09 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck Coger
I have been on Choke and Falcon with 6-8 footers and it is no fun in my ride.

Come on now.....There is NO bass boat that is gonna make it in 6-8 footers. Somebody please show me some pictures of 6-8 footers in a southern resevoir anyways! My 24' DOESN'T do all that well in honest 3-4ft slop
Posted By: txmrbass

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 01:30 AM

With ABA it is all about the money. If they thought they could make more money they would start a rope pull kicker division. They get a % of every entry fee and I have done the math at the championship and they are keeping a pretty good chunk. I like the guy's in the ABA districts I fish but I'm not liking the direction ABA is going. and I really don't like that they are not moving there championship around to other parts of the country. It seems that they are also only looking at the money they get from the highest bidder to determine were the championship will be and not any input from the guy's fishing with them. I will still fish the local stuff with them in 2010 just because they are a great bunch of guy's and allot of fun to fish with but I will be looking real hard for another organization to be involved with next year.
Posted By: Clucky

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 03:34 AM

Come on now.....There is NO bass boat that is gonna make it in 6-8 footers. Somebody please show me some pictures of 6-8 footers in a southern resevoir anyways! My 24' DOESN'T do all that well in honest 3-4ft slop [/quote]

I know what 6-8 footers look like!More 6's in there than anything on that day. Swamped the boat and almost didn't make it to the ramp we took several over the bow. Several guys down there pushed my Ranger off the rocks after I banked it and can attest to the 6 foot plus waves that day. Also put a pontoon boat about 8-10 feet up the ramp from the water after the storm passed.

If you have a 24' and have problems in 3-4 footers I suggest you take a boating course and learn how to drive..

I use to live in Alabama and what you guys call high winds in Georgia and the south in general we call a normal day in the west! We are not on Southern reservoirs, we are on lakes that funnel 20-45 mph winds like a wind sock, not 5-8 mph winds that you are use to.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

rolfmao

Cuz Perry is a Rebel Rouser...........

Thats me.... grin...On a serious note I don't have an issue with the idea but I think "blaming" mistreatment and an stuff like that on the guys with bigger boats is funny. Guess I have not fished enough tournaments to see guys getting blasted out of the water at takeoff and being run over. Kinda thought the whole starting number thing solves most of that. If you want to fish a small boat trail then go ahead but do it because you want to and not blame it other things.i started out about 8-10 years ago in a Nitro 170TF with a 90hp followed by a Stratos 278V with a 130 and now that I have had a few 20-12" boats I can't say anyone has ever treated me any different or that I was not welcome. I never felt at a disadvantage either when it came to fishing. We all started in smaller boats.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 06:48 AM

I dont think that it is a matter of not being welcome. we have been treated very well in all tourneys from Media to the wed. lake worth. But you rethink starting position when you are running 48, passed on either side by boats going much faster, and really a little to close. Nothing against the guys, just the way things are. I would love to have a bigger boat, D%^& hoa makes me keep it in the garage, which is the only reason I dont have one. first its a bigger house and garage, then a bigger boat.

Maybe we should start one of thoes trails here, call it the Perry Invitational. lol.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: nitroslim
I dont think that it is a matter of not being welcome. we have been treated very well in all tourneys from Media to the wed. lake worth. But you rethink starting position when you are running 48, passed on either side by boats going much faster, and really a little to close. Nothing against the guys, just the way things are. I would love to have a bigger boat, D%^& hoa makes me keep it in the garage, which is the only reason I dont have one. first its a bigger house and garage, then a bigger boat.

Maybe we should start one of thoes trails here, call it the Perry Invitational. lol.

I am out of the TD business. thumb...I spend my days now running over Bass Trackers.... cheers...I am happy for anyone that gets out there and fishes either for fun or in a tournament. YThey have my respect and support.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 07:28 AM

I fish where outhers fear to tread.
Oh I scratched my gel coat.
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck Coger

I know what 6-8 footers look like!More 6's in there than anything on that day. Swamped the boat and almost didn't make it to the ramp we took several over the bow. Several guys down there pushed my Ranger off the rocks after I banked it and can attest to the 6 foot plus waves that day. Also put a pontoon boat about 8-10 feet up the ramp from the water after the storm passed.

If you have a 24' and have problems in 3-4 footers I suggest you take a boating course and learn how to drive..

I use to live in Alabama and what you guys call high winds in Georgia and the south in general we call a normal day in the west! We are not on Southern reservoirs, we are on lakes that funnel 20-45 mph winds like a wind sock, not 5-8 mph winds that you are use to.

Ughh, actually I'm not "use" to anything in GA (only been stationed here a year) I grew up in Seguin, so I gues you can say I've been on Falcon/Choke/Amistad a few times. I do believe I know how to operate a boat as well. 3-4' swells, no prob, but you are talking 6-8' slop????really????in Choke???? in a bass boat?????OK!!
Posted By: Kicker fish

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 04:14 PM

May need a new thread, but many of you have talked about it on here. Do you think a wrapped boat or a Tourney shirt gives anyone and advantage? It seems many of the guys on here are scared when you see these guys at an event. Intmidation may be the ony advantage. If someone does not want to fish against the "Big Boys" do not enter a "Big Boy" Tourny. Stick with the Bass Clubs of the world. Most clubs are won each year by guys in smaller boats. I also see alot of guys with all the stuff leave the weigh-in quick feeling bad they got beat by someone with out all the stuff. This is just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Grant2

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 06:01 PM

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 06:02 PM

Why do you think all wrapped boats and power poles go only on 225 or 250 20' plus boats I run a wrap and a 150hp no problems yet.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 11:18 PM

It's not about speed. None of this is about speed. It's about the type of angler's that run bigger boats. No offense intended cause i know a good chunk of you boys run em. But it seems like a trail like this is for the average angler not the semi pro and the guys looking to go to the next level.
Posted By: TeamHillbilly

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/26/09 11:41 PM

hummm I wish I still had my old R71 with a 115 on it just 17footer but it was great in rough water

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/27/09 02:41 AM

My 93 skeeter would be wrapped if i can find the right person or company to do it and I fished some of the monday nite tourneys on conroe and if i remember right a 16ft bass tracker with a 40 hp. won the event...

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/27/09 06:06 AM

You will see at the tourneys that there are some awesome guys that fish not all the BIG STICKS run big boats trust me. Just B/C they run a bigger boat does not mean they are better they just spent more money they still have to fish. Stop fishing agaist the so called BIG STICK just B/C he has a bigger boat and just fish. I think you will also see not all the average anglers with 150 are so average.
Posted By: teamron

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/27/09 02:47 PM

when they started 15 year notes on boats the craze began, anyway, if you ask a question about a boat on a forum the answer is the same, 20 footer! but i guess it immediatly makes you a pro.

teamron

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 12/30/09 01:46 AM

No it doesn't but your not gonna see a pro with less then a 20 footer with a 250... Therefor the 150 or less gets rid of those guys...it's such a simple concept
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 04:09 PM

I was on the ABA website earlier, looks like they have brought back the 150 Series last year, I totally missed this
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by E8C-ENG
Originally Posted by Chuck Coger

Come on now.....There is NO bass boat that is gonna make it in 6-8 footers. Somebody please show me some pictures of 6-8 footers in a southern resevoir anyways! My 24' DOESN'T do all that well in honest 3-4ft slop

Lol don’t think most on here how to measure height of a wave .
I too would like to see video of these masters of bass boating in true 6 to 8 ft waves lmao.
J D
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

I too would like to see video of these masters of bass boating in true 6 to 8 ft waves lmao.
J D

6 to 8 footers? roflmao
Posted By: 9094

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

J D

6 to 8 footers? roflmao

Right roflmao I have fished For 45 years on many lakes nationwide and have seen real 5 footers ONE time. On Lake Erie which is basically a small ocean. And I thought I wasn’t going to make it in.
Very very seldom a lake in Texas might get some 3 footers but it would be rare. Anyone who thinks they have run in 3 footers needs to go to the coat and fish offshore in true 3 footers, they will say they are 6 footers.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

J D

6 to 8 footers? roflmao

They are rare indeed, but it (more likely ~6') can happen sometimes when "a perfect storm" lines up with the length of a reservoir. Many who make these estimates have not been on truly "big water" - the Great Lakes or an ocean. I would say that the thing that makes inland waters most problematic is the frequency of the waves. The short distance from peak-to-peak insures a very rough ride, and the risk of spearing waves, even in 3 footers. The choppiness is far worse than (saltwater) offshore swells that are much larger, but much lower frequency. I got plenty of experience running the Ft. Lauderdale inlet and the Atlantic, so I know what 6, 8, and even 10 footers look like - from a 32 foot dive boat. I don't see those waves repeated when I fish reservoirs.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 08:25 PM

Holy resurrection batman! A thread from 2009 !!!
Posted By: 206champion

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 08:33 PM

O well looks like a mistake to me.

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Holy resurrection batman! A thread from 2009 !!!

No doubt.
Posted By: teamron

Re: ABA to start 150hp or less only trail - 05/25/20 10:32 PM

And I even posted on it, this rains gotta stop

teamron
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum