Texas Fishing Forum

Swimbait question

Posted By: Bomber 89

Swimbait question - 08/12/09 11:26 PM

I started using swimbaits last year and found out that if the little blacks are schooling, the big swimbaits will make their way to the bottom because they're too big for the little fish to mess with. I also figured out that the big bass are on the bottom below the little ones and they will kill a swimbait. I have caught so many 2 1/2 to 6+ lb bass using this technique and cant even guess about how many. I catch them in 20 to 35' of water simply "bumping" it off the bottom like a Texas Rig. Sometimes I "strool" around just dragging it til one bites. Ive been using nothing but the Storms 5" swimbaits and the Academy here in Temple dont carry them anymore but I have noticed that the swimbait section is getting bigger and bigger. My question is what kind of swimbaits do yall think would work the best using this technique? The thing I like about the Storms is that the hook and weight are made into the bait and it's plenty heavy. All the other types I been seeing are the type you have too insert a weighted wide gap hook in. I did buy some 5" h20 swimmers today to try out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Swimbait question - 08/12/09 11:39 PM

check out www.tacklewarehouse.com

Re: Swimbait question - 08/12/09 11:46 PM

Thanks Cody. I like the Storms but Im thinkin that a different type might work a little better just because there's so many out there now that's nothing like the Storms besides the paddle tail.
Posted By: balata9999

Re: Swimbait question - 08/12/09 11:52 PM

The river2sea bottom walker is similar to the storm but I think a little better weighted and some cool colors. You can use them the same exact way and they also come in bigger sizes if you want to go bigger.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Swimbait question - 08/12/09 11:59 PM

Lake Fork Tackle Live Magic Shad - http://www.lftlures.com/categories/soft-plastics-lft-live-magic-shad

Many colors and sizes to choose. Lots of ways to rig it, jig head, LFT weighted hook, chatterbait etc.

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Slide_R
Lake Fork Tackle Live Magic Shad - http://www.lftlures.com/categories/soft-plastics-lft-live-magic-shad

Many colors and sizes to choose. Lots of ways to rig it, jig head, LFT weighted hook, chatterbait etc.

Funny, I almost grabbed a pack of those today. I think Ill give em a try. I guess a jighead hook would be best?
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 12:14 AM

i think those storm swimbaits are hard to beat for what you're looking for!

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
i think those storm swimbaits are hard to beat for what you're looking for!

Yeah, Im a firm believer in the ole "stick with what works" saying but I also believe that change is good sometimes but not all the time i.e. November 2, 2008 but we better not go there in this section lol.
Posted By: StephenPineau

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:30 AM

River2Sea Bottom Walker or the new Black Dog Bait Co. WeedSlinger. It's redesigned to work especially well for this technique.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:35 AM

im gunna have to say the bottom walker is ur best option, u can get it with or without a weedguard too.
Posted By: Anglers Lodge

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
im gunna have to say the bottom walker is ur best option, u can get it with or without a weedguard too.

Weedguard ! thumb But I have to say a 3:16 Mission fish in the 6 inch is my favorite below the baby schoolers.
Posted By: mtannerworley

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 04:56 AM

Lake fork tackle magic swimmer. not only can you use these with your technique but there are TONS of other options. Put it on a chatterbait head, us it as a chatterbait trailer. I've even used them for jig trailers. They range from 3 1/2 to 8 in, in 12 different colors.
Posted By: GO WACKY

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 11:01 AM

There are a lot of good swimbaits out there now. There are also a lot of good hooks for them available now. I like the weights you can clamp onto your hook shank... so you can adjust the way the swimbait works very easily.

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:04 PM

Thanks guys. Where can I get the River2Sea Bottom Walker?
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone

Yep !
Posted By: Garrett Seagraves

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:13 PM

i think cabelas sells some that i want to say are like only 99 cents a swimbait..
Posted By: Limits4all

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 03:38 PM

Recently I have had some monster fish success with the hollow belly swimbaits on a spin trix jig head.
http://charkbait.com/cs/cscBladeRunner.htm

Before I would get frustrated with the hollow body type baits because they can be difficult to get to run straight. These jig heads allow you to fish swim baits faster and deeper than most and still run true.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Swimbait question - 08/13/09 08:20 PM

Chuck out at Tightlines carries R2S bottomwalkers in several different sizes and colors. You can also take a lead bulletweight with some fishing glue and insert it into a hollowbelly swimbait and get the same desired effect as the Storms, works all the way up to 3/4 oz on the 5" Berkleys or Basstrix. Try it, works great.

Re: Swimbait question - 08/14/09 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD
Chuck out at Tightlines carries R2S bottomwalkers in several different sizes and colors. You can also take a lead bulletweight with some fishing glue and insert it into a hollowbelly swimbait and get the same desired effect as the Storms, works all the way up to 3/4 oz on the 5" Berkleys or Basstrix. Try it, works great.

Thanks man. I thought about Tightlines but didnt see any on the website. Tim came by work today and said they have them out there. Im going to give them a try. Love that swimbait bite!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum