Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps...

Posted By: Dan21XRS

Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 07:58 PM

Was watching the Bass Champs Tournament at Sam Rayburn on OLN earlier this week. The 2 fisherman they featured said they were using Rattle Traps. They referred to the color as "Brown Eyes"... Anyone know where I can get a picture of this color scheme?... Heading for Rayburn in a couple of weeks and we need all the help we can get... Thank Dan
Posted By: Fishin24-7

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:13 PM

They never gave a close up but it almost looked like a yellow rattletrap that had brown around the eye area. I can't find a picture but they did say you can't buy them anymore, go figure. Funny how some productive baits get discontinued and you have to try and find them on ebay or somewhere else.

It kinda looked like this but yellow not chartruese:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/fishin24-7/RT5-09.jpg
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:16 PM

Did they show them catching fish on them?
Posted By: Fishin24-7

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:19 PM

Yeah these guys were killen them but just couldn't get the big bite for a kicker.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:35 PM

Thanks Fishin 24-7... Was just hoping someone might have one and could take and post a picture, or maybe give me a good discription on one. Dan
Posted By: RB_BassMan

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:41 PM

E-mail the host, i have asked him several questions and he always takes the time to answer them, you can get his e-mail off his web site www.johnmccalmont.com

hope this helps you!
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 08:57 PM

They're right, you can't buy them anymore. Most of the guys that have them won't get rid of them.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/15/08 10:55 PM

If you can get a pic of the lure this guy can paint it for you ... he might even know the color and have a pattern for it!

http://www.basswankerlures.com/

He does awesome custom lure painting!

Posted By: James Walston

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 12:45 AM

Call this guy in Lindale, Texas.

Mack Prather
Mack's Discount Tackle
903-881-0022
tackle1@earthlink.net
Posted By: TeamSkeeter20i

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 02:35 AM

All you have to do is stop in at Ann's Tackle when you get to Rayburn, and ask her to give you something similar to the brown eye color. There is a color that is close to it that she has.
Posted By: James Walston

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 04:47 AM

Old Mack has a lot of lures and some of them are decades old. He just might have some.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 01:20 PM

Thanks for all the help... Dan
Posted By: meallenjr

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 01:38 PM

it lood like the kaki shad that bill lewis use to make
kinda like RT132 Copper Brown
Posted By: MV

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 02:48 PM

Try a spinner bait with painted blades.
Posted By: ryan powell

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/16/08 05:30 PM

brown eye,the copper with a brown eye works,trust me.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/17/08 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MV
Try a spinner bait with painted blades.

I "don't" think you can compare a spinnerbait with a rattle trap on Rayburn.
Posted By: Hook'emUTbass

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/17/08 12:32 PM

We noticed yesterday on Rayburn a couple guys throwing a plastic bait they were twitching. one half was bright yellow and the other half like sherbert orange. Eack color ran the lenghtn of the worm. 50/50 Very productive bait for them.

We were whacking them ourselves, but that odd color was working as well.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/17/08 12:43 PM

Well yesterday was just one of those days. It couldn't have been any better for catching fish. We caught a limit on 4 different patterns but just didnt find the bigger fish that were there last weekend. Obviously the fish moved a lot since many of the locals didnt catch them either.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/17/08 08:02 PM

Is the Rattle Trap the Chrome/Copper with the shiny finish or the tan painted one?
Posted By: ZX225(Radio)

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/17/08 09:36 PM

fishin24_7
That rattle trap that you have a pic of is a smokin-joe I think I could be wrong, But I thinks it's Smokin-joe
Posted By: MesquiteBassMan

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 03:29 AM

I was just watching that same show on WFN! I saw the trap when he pulled a bass onto the boat. And John McCalmont showed it real quick at the end of the show.

I came in on the computer to Google the Brown Eye Rattle Trap smile

I found this photo that BJ Smith with http://www.basswankerlures.com/ posted on another website.

Quote:
Yes...... I do quite a few for East Texas folks.... Let me see if I can download a pic......... The color scheme is quite simple...

Metalic copper body
Deep red belly
Brown back and face
The eye is actually red
Shad dot on the shoulder

BJ

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 12:31 PM

Definately not a Smokey Joe!
We call them Brown Eye. Might check on RT They can still be bought but are hard to find!
Posted By: KevinT.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 01:49 PM

I just threw away 2 of those while cleaning out my stuff a couple weeks ago...figures!
Posted By: ryan powell

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 01:58 PM

going to sling some this week.
Posted By: Allen M

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 03:32 PM

I know where you can get some if interested. They still make them special order PM me for info. But it will cost ya.. duel
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 03:39 PM

Xcalliber makes a Rayburn Red...sounds like a pretty good bait for Rayburn!
Posted By: Andrew Upshaw

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 03:53 PM

Tri Lakes Tackle has them in Lufkin in 1/2 and 3/4

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/29/08 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Upshaw
Tri Lakes Tackle has them in Lufkin in 1/2 and 3/4

Andrew, how many do you have left?

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 12/30/08 05:00 AM

a bunch of them...we have a lot of rare colors that are really hard to get yall need to come by and check them out
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 09/30/10 09:57 PM

Anybody know the part number for the Brown Eye Rat-L-trap???
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 09/30/10 10:02 PM

brown eye is a very old secret thats well known these days.
Posted By: Dwain Batey Kayak Bass Fishing

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 06:08 AM

I paint a lot of browneyes for guys in TX or going to TX at least, and I had a customer send me an original to look at for matching so I know its dead on.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
Rayburn red in my opinion is a gimmic for people going to fish there I never have caught one on this color and I fish Rayburn quite a bit.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
Rayburn red in my opinion is a gimmic for people going to fish there I never have caught one on this color and I fish Rayburn quite a bit.

"Gimmic and never caught a fish on it fishing on Rayburn" Now that's the best one I've heard in a while!!! rolfmao

Brown Eye's are hard to find. They got off that color on Rayburn 2 years ago. (The same time as this original thread.) Last year the Rayburn Red was the hot color. No telling what will happen this year but it should be some form of Red color, as usual.

Posted By: Rick Paradis

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 02:18 PM

Was the original color name of that bait called the Wild Shiner?
Posted By: Texasrig3006

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 04:06 PM

I've caught them on Rayburn red many times in Veach and the Black Forest Area when it was too cold to have better sense to be out there reeling and ripping! lol It's not a myth the color does work.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 04:11 PM

Cordell Hot Spot.
Posted By: bassman1

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/04/10 04:14 PM

i have six of the original brown eye traps. three 1/2 and 3 3/4. If someone wants a pic let me know and I will take it and send it to you. They catch fish.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/05/10 01:08 AM

I think I have some of those. I will have to dig though and find them. It looks like Bill Lewis would bring them back?

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/05/10 02:03 AM

I have a lot of request for pics of my brown eye traps. Can't load pics or I would. If someone is willing to load the pic let me know and I will send it to you.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 03:25 PM

If any of you guys are looking for "Brown Eye" Color No.68

Ann at Ann's tackle shop in Jasper has a two shelves full of them.

She has 1/2, Magnum and the mini's ....

The reason they are hard to find, is because it is Ann's color, Ann designed it and gave it the nickname Brown Eye

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 05:15 PM

Just sent the pics of my brown eye traps to texassteve. He should have them up shortly.

Note: It's probably not going to be what you think. Mine did not come from Ann's. They are the original traps, had them for years.

Posted By: PINESDABBER

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 05:17 PM

Can't find a website for ann's.
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 05:32 PM

FYI .....

Just ordered 6 1/2oz and 6 3/4oz Brown Eyes from Anns Tackle Shop - Jasper, Texas - phone #409-384-7685
Posted By: TexasSteve

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 05:36 PM

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bassman1
Just sent the pics of my brown eye traps to texassteve. He should have them up shortly.

Note: It's probably not going to be what you think. Mine did not come from Ann's. They are the original traps, had them for years.

The original color is Ann's. She is the one that designed that color.
Posted By: Bluetick

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 08:17 PM

That is my all time favorite trap color. I have 2 or 3 of em without the brown eyes. I can't really see where the brown eyes would make and difference at all to the fish. They hear a trap and they see the trap for a split second and they eat it or they don't. The main color means something to them, I just can't imagine a fish swimming along and seeing the bronze color and saying " well heck fire, that sucker has brown around its eyes, I think I will eat that dude"

But if it gives you confidence then by all means chunk it till your arm falls off.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/10 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasSteve

That is not the "Brown Eye" that I have. That might be the old old original but the newer (not the newest) is a copper colored chrome and has the brown shading around the red eye.
Posted By: Texas Smoke

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 12:26 AM

That is, in fact, a picture of the infamous Brown Eye trap.

The copper one talked about is not the Brown Eye Trap, even though it does have a brown eye. When people talk about the Brown Eye Trap, the one pictured is the one they are talking about.
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 12:32 AM

Check BJ's recreation of Old Brown Eyes

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 12:36 AM

So having said all that I would not expect toooooo much of a Rattle Trap bite on Rayburn this year. The grass is so weak and thin and if we have any type of cold weather it could freeze and KILL what little grass we have now. Since the lake is 8+ low now when it get's cold it will kill it and grass is very very important for a GOOD Trap bite. Last year the Trap bite was the worst we have seen in several years because of the true cold weather. Then it went straight to a prespawn/spawn so the fish went from a deep water winter pattern to spawn. It really was depressing. The Brown eye has been off for several years. It seems that each year there is a NEW HOT color.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 12:53 AM

ok .... so will someone clarify ..... which color does Anns Tackle Shop carry ? a pic would be nice or which color of the ones mentioned above ?

Thnx

mac

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 01:46 AM

Here is the Brown Eye that I have:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1996/browneyetrapmw5.jpg

They did have these at Tri-Lakes Tackle in Lufkin, TX.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 01:49 AM

Ann's carries the Rat-l-Trap color No. 68 Nicknamed "Brown Eye"

I will try and dig one out of my boat and show you the color.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Here is the Brown Eye that I have:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1996/browneyetrapmw5.jpg

They did have these at Tri-Lakes Tackle in Lufkin, TX.

That's close but not the same as the one's at Ann's

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 01:52 AM

I guess I'll see the color when they get here since I ordered a dozen from Anns this afternoon ..... lol

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 01:54 AM

I know that it's not the same one but it's what us locals call THE Brown Eye and use. So I guess we are using the wrong one! rolfmao

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 02:07 AM

I wouldnt say I wasnt a local.. thumb

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 03:04 AM

Yep, ol Ron ain't the only local around there. Last time I checked, the population was greater than ONE !!!

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 03:14 PM

Here is a link to Talon Lures' rendition of the Brown Eye Trap.

Don't see no Copper on it. Looks like the original to me, but what do I know, I don't live in Lufkin. LOL !!!!!!!!

http://talonlures.com/custompaintoneknockerxr50browneyeshad-1.aspx

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 03:40 PM

Just to make things more interesting .... I'll post a pic of the bait I get from Anns Tackle....just so we can get ANOTHER version of the Brown Eye .... but it definately won't be the right one since I'm NOT a local .....lol
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RngrMac
Just to make things more interesting .... I'll post a pic of the bait I get from Anns Tackle....just so we can get ANOTHER version of the Brown Eye .... but it definately won't be the right one since I'm NOT a local .....lol

Post it Yankee

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke
Here is a link to Talon Lures' rendition of the Brown Eye Trap.

Don't see no Copper on it. Looks like the original to me, but what do I know, I don't live in Lufkin. LOL !!!!!!!!

http://talonlures.com/custompaintoneknockerxr50browneyeshad-1.aspx

That's very similar to it.

When I get home this evening I will post a pic of the one that came from Ann's

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 07:18 PM

The one that Ron showed you is the chrome version of the Rat-L-Trap....it is "brown eye" its just with a chrome finish...the "brown eye" most people refer to is a flat finish Rat-L-Trap...

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 08:11 PM

The one that Ron showed you is the chrome version of the Rat-L-Trap....it is "brown eye" its just with a chrome finish...the "brown eye" most people refer to is a flat finish Rat-L-Trap...

That's exactly what I told him. Then he laughed ..........................

It's a copper chrome finish. It's not the original Brown Eye that people talk about. It's a different variation.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 08:36 PM

I copied my brown eye pattern from originals sent to me by someone local to Rayburn, this is what mine looks like. I think most are painted too brown. To be a close match the original, there is a lot of orange in the sides and the belly is pink. The individual who send me his originals got $200.00 worth of insurance on the two baits so I have to believe they were real haha. I'm sure mine are not perfect, but they are very close to the ones I was able to hold in my hands to copy.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 08:39 PM

Those are not even close to the original brown eye trap. Original brown eye traps are not red at all. They have a dark brown back, light gold tint on the sides and a big brown colored spot that matches the color on the back around the eye. I have three 1/2 and 3 3/4 that i bought years ago. What you are showing is closer to a rayburn red than the brown eye trap, plus there is no brown spot around the eyes on yours.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 08:45 PM

will we EVER know the REAL color ????

The saga continues ....
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 09:14 PM

will we EVER know the REAL color ????

The saga continues ....

And does the Brown Eyed Trap really have brown eyes? noidea rolfmao

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 10:06 PM

Wow all this about a trap color! I hope everyone is throwing those traps.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 10:39 PM

Posts like this make me wish fish could read TFF posts. Because I know they would be laughing at some of yall on here.... hooked
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 10:56 PM

Bassman # 1 is right
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/02/10 11:07 PM

popcorn

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:13 AM

My trap is pictured. If you like I will take very detailed pics without any glare and if someone will post them i will send them to that person. They are not from Ann's. They are the original traps from 15 years ago or close to it.

Let me know

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:20 AM

I took some more pics. Who will post them for me. Very clear and shows the design in the upper part of the trap. Let me know.
Posted By: Justin DuBose

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:30 AM

I read the original post from DanA and I've read alot of the replies. DanA, I grew up fishing on Rayburn and have caught alot of fish on traps, but don't think the brown eye is the best and only trap color to catch bass on Rayburn. If you find a good group of fish they will bite multiple colors. I'm just saying don't get locked into one specific color. I do agree with bigron about the grass. Good healthy Hydrilla is essential for a great trap bite, especially on Rayburn.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:54 AM

Hey Andrew, what is the number and color name on those traps? (If you still have any left at the store.) I'm wanting to know if you sold me the wrong ones. rolfmao
Posted By: themilkman

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:59 AM

i absolutely killed 'em a couple weeks back during sunrise/sunset using poppers on the clay islands popping up from the low water.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 03:10 AM

I like those poppers on clay points this time of year.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 03:13 AM

here are bassman1's photos of his old brown eye trap....

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 04:10 AM

better picture of my browneyes ....

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 12:19 PM

Thanks for posting my pics. Have not seen the crankbait in that color. Is that a factory paint job or did someone do it for you. Would like a couple of cranks painted like that.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 02:22 PM

I paint baits for a living, this color is not on my site, but I can paint it on anything you'd like. You can find my site in my signature and my email under contact info, just let me know what you would like done and I'll shoot you back a price.
Thanks
Posted By: Toledo King

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 02:36 PM

that was a big color on Toledo too. Still have a few myself. Since I'm up in Dallas now these dumb city bass will get a dose of them now!
Posted By: Andi Sanders

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 09:49 PM

I also do a version based on the original Rattletrap color, and have adapted it to the Shibui spinnerbait as well. A copper colorado/nickel willow combo on the spinnerbait is deadly here at Toledo Bend.

Shibui Spinnerbait

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/03/10 10:17 PM

Sent you a pm. would like to get a few DD-22s painted up this color.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:00 AM

Very nice Andi, i love copper blades

bassman1, reply sent

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:57 AM

I really like the looks of that spinnerbait..
Posted By: enykamp

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 03:12 AM

I had one old trap in that color that was my go to bait in the spring on my favorite lakes around here..Had no idea what it was I just knew it caught fish and I wasn't ever able to find another one. Guess I know why now...

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Bait Werks
Very nice Andi, i love copper blades

bassman1, reply sent

Thanks Dwain, you paint a mean crankbait!

Guys, Dwain is recognized as one of the top custom crankbait painters in the industry. It's awesome that he's a TFF'er!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 01:30 PM

Did anyone figure out what the "Original" Brown Eyed Trap looked like?

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:18 PM

Lets see ...... I don't believe the ACTUAL color has been revealed ..... this IS one heck of a secret

and the saga continues .....lol

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:27 PM

^Original

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:30 PM

we may be getting close ......

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:45 PM

Looks about right to me, the belly should be cherry red.
Posted By: secretbait

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/04/10 02:47 PM

The color number is 68

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 05:52 PM

the pic above is the "Brown Eye" I received from Anns .....and the color # is RT68 ..... I do have a little clearer pic if anyone is interested.

Mac

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 06:08 PM

the pic above is the "Brown Eye" I received from Anns .....and the color # is RT68 ..... I do have a little clearer pic if anyone is interested.

Mac

Well then you bought the right one. You've got the actual "Brown Eye" trap.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 07:11 PM

SShhhhhh .....don't tell anyone ....

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 08:37 PM

I think it's the old "Statue of Liberty" play. Sleigh of hand, misdirection, inuendo, misinformation, muddy up the water. You know how fishermen are! noidea

(We paid Ann to write "Brown Eye" on the Wild Shiner RT#68! rolfmao)

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 08:49 PM

and that's the REAL STORY ......

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 09:08 PM

It's all of these nicknames that people have for the baits that cause confusion. There's another Trap that is a "secret" over on Toledo that the locals call "clown". It looks nothing like the Clown color that everyone else is used to, ie...chrome/chart/red head. There yet another one that they call White Crawfish and it's just got white stripes on it. The rest is a different color.

Why they call it clown is beyond me. Same with Brown Eye and White crawfish. Just call it by it's color code and all of this confusion would be gone.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 09:41 PM

Hey my White Crawfish doesn't have any racing stripes!
Hosed Again!!!
I've got to have a LOOOOONG Talk with Andrew at Tri-Lakes Tackle! rolfmao

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 11:27 PM

so what are the color codes for all these SECRET TRAPS ..... Inquiring minds want to know

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Hey my White Crawfish doesn't have any racing stripes!
Hosed Again!!!
I've got to have a LOOOOONG Talk with Andrew at Tri-Lakes Tackle! rolfmao

You northern locals are all jacked up on the secret Rat-l-Trap colors Ron !! smile
Posted By: 200ZX

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/05/10 11:48 PM

ive got the patent and i'm mad. oh well i will just make another bait that you can talk about in 15 yrs

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/06/10 12:05 AM

so what are the color codes for all these SECRET TRAPS ..... Inquiring minds want to know

Not sure what the codes are. They aren't in any catalog, they are special order items.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/06/10 12:31 AM

I haven't seen these other secrets either, I'll bet one of these days someone will send me some to have copied though and then I'll know smile
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/06/10 02:20 AM

I have a few of them. I found the last few down at a marina on Conroe 2 years ago. Look at some of the mom and pop stores. I had the sides come off on a couple of them. Kinda like a gold foil finish glued on the trap . So one side is bone color and the other side is the gold color with a little orange on the bottom and of course the brown eye.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/06/10 02:31 AM

Found/bought two of the Original 3/4-ounce Brown Eye Traps at Mack's Discount Tackle in Lindale, Texas today. Part # MG68

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/06/10 05:29 AM

There are no rat-l-traps that are any better than others...each trap has it's time and to be honest I think you could go throw any color rat-l-trap during that time and it would work lol

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 03:15 AM

68 is the Brown Eye Rattle Trap.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 03:34 AM

Can't tell you the last time i actually threw a rattletrap on rayburn.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 04:03 PM

Now that is an eye opener. I am no Rayburn regular but every winter and spring that is all I hear about, the trap bite on Rayburn. I don't throw traps very often either, thought I was a lone wolf in that respect...for better or worse...guess I am not.
Posted By: Todd Castledine

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 04:59 PM

Traps are like everyone form Texas calling soft drinks cokes we just just call them that instead of POP. I havn't thrown a true rattle trap in years I throw everything but. Since I was in on the design of strike pros Flap Jack (trap) thats all I've been throwing for a couple of years. Lots of stuff work. I don't think you see anyone on here or at Rayburn for that matter dominating from December to February. Which means lots of so called traps work and none are guaranteed to win.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 06:47 PM

Todd, your exactly right about other brands for sure, i hardly ever get rat-l-trap brand vibes to paint on anymore from customers. The Xcalibur XR's, Strike king Red Eyes, and lucky craft vibes seem to be the ones I get in most often this year.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/07/10 11:34 PM

Have fun with that trap this year on rayburn.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/08/10 05:00 AM

RT#132 is the "Brown Eye" that I use WHEN I throw one. But I haven't thrown it in several years. Each year the colors & baits seem to change with the fish preferences, lake levels, grass levels, water color, water temp. etc...
(It all started with the Lucky Craft Aurora Red Fiasco (original no stripes)that things have gotten ALL mixed up. rolfmao) I am now leaning toward the Excalibur "Grilled Chicken" at this time. With a name and color like that it's got to be dynamite! banana
Posted By: flippindropshots

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/25/11 03:47 AM

Upshaw....I Heard you and Ryan got caught playing with each others brown eyes last weekend! Lmao smile After 8 years in college, you must have a severe rattletrap issue! Lol!

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/25/11 02:46 PM

I purchased a couple of the original 3/40z Brown Eye traps from a old tackle store that was closing. I have a couple of pictures of them on my cell. If somebody want to post them send me a PM with your cell number.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/25/11 02:55 PM

I need to check a box of traps my dad gave me a couple years ago. I just threw it on the shelf int he garage, but I think it has some traps similar to these!
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 02/25/11 03:26 PM

5 pages long and not one brown eye joke...amazing!

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 08/27/12 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasSteve

That is it^
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 08/27/12 11:20 PM

Damn you just crawl out of a hole LOL!! Yes a year later it's still a brown eye.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 08/27/12 11:38 PM

lol

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 08/28/12 12:37 AM

wow
Posted By: Bank beater 1

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 08/28/12 01:25 AM

If you ask rat l trap company the "brown eye shad" which is the 68 wild shiner they claim they use the same color pattern they have always used no change. Not saying i agree but i personally spoke to a rep there.
Posted By: Eric Gandy

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/30/12 11:15 PM

I found this thread while looking for a pic of the original browneye so I could paint a few for a friend. So here's one I painted.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/30/12 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric Gandy
I found this thread while looking for a pic of the original browneye so I could paint a few for a friend. So here's one I painted.

^^ That is it. I have two of the originals and that looks just like them..

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/30/12 11:45 PM

Awsome! Thanks Fast Lane. I went off the old pic in this thread and got as close as I could.
Posted By: The Hag

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 01:21 AM

You nailed it Eric. I have some and that's it to the "T".

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 01:46 AM

Good deal. I was hoping to get feedback from folks who've seen an original because I never have. Thanks
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 01:50 AM

I googled "brown eye" looking for the original. I dont recommend googling it.
Posted By: The Hag

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric Gandy
Good deal. I was hoping to get feedback from folks who've seen an original because I never have. Thanks

Andi painted me some last year. She has an original in the shop, but also used them for years out there. Good job.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 03:34 PM

Just leave those "test baits" in my storage box next time out.

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 05:14 PM

Is this a record for the longest lasting Thread Topic???? banana

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)
Just leave those "test baits" in my storage box next time out.

Greg I'm afraid you will have to fight Big E for them. Hmmmm that's an interesting matchup......
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 10/31/12 11:55 PM

Lol. I'll just tell him that Tilton has the missing ones
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 11/01/12 02:54 AM

Good gosh I guess the search button still works LOL!

Re: Sam Rayburn and Rattle Traps... - 01/29/18 05:34 PM

Time to resurrect the dead! What was the correct Brown Eye Trap? Did we ever come to an agreement?
roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum