Texas Fishing Forum

Going to El Salto Advice

Posted By: backatit

Going to El Salto Advice - 08/23/23 01:08 PM

Going in October. What should I expect? What clothes, rods, baits to bring? Other suggestions?
Posted By: jbassman

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/23/23 02:58 PM

Watching , we are planning a trip as well
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/23/23 03:27 PM

Ask your outfitter?
I use Ron Speed and they provide a list of what you will need and what baits are currently working.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/23/23 06:12 PM

Was at Picachos a couple of years ago the end of October, cool mornings and hot days. Shorts weather the whole time with maybe a hoodie for the first boat ride. Enjoy and catch a bunch!
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/23/23 07:08 PM

https://www.halfpastfirstcast.com/el-salto-and-picachos
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/24/23 12:01 AM

5/16 buckeye jig heads, watermelon red magnum trick worms.....5 inch senko type worms...watermelon red...we buy couple of 50 packs of imitation senkos,watemelon red or black/blue tail.... on amazon....
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/24/23 09:13 AM

Hours of quality reading there by Hanna & Pete.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/24/23 12:21 PM

if you got some worms of a color that you can't catch fish on...take them to picachos......FWIW I've been down there 6 times and 20lb line works for me..we have also been real happy with using ron speed at picachos,el salto,comedero and peacock bass fishing in brazil...
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/24/23 12:52 PM

I've been several times and my best bait on every Mexico lake has been a watermelon/pearl stick bait. On my last trip to Picachos I was going through 50+ per day.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 08/24/23 12:57 PM

As indicated above, my wife and I have written a lot on the topic. We've been twice in October, twice in November. The earlier you go, the more likely you are to have rain. Water level is still to be determined -- in the midst of the rainy period.

Our best October/November trip we were actually told not to come because the lake was at 103% and water was going over the spillway. We couldn't change it, and we were the only three people at Anglers Inn. Numbers were not great, but they absolutely killed a Whopper Plopper. High percentage of 4-8+ pound fish that trip.

Happy to answer any specific questions, either here or privately.

Pete
Posted By: backatit

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/10/23 08:30 PM

Anyone on here been there recently.
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/11/23 12:11 PM

Anglers Inn closes down for August and September. Message me closer to your trip -- we text with a couple of the guides regularly and will be able to provide info on water level, etc.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/11/23 03:35 PM

Condoms and hangover meds
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/11/23 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

I must have missed that first part of the accomodations.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/12/23 03:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Get you a couple 100 ct bags of these and you'll be pretty much set for soft plastics. Couple Plopper style baits and Tilapia colored jigs. I like 3/4 & 1 oz Oldham's. Put a 4" swim bait on the jig and fish it like you would a crankbait. Throw it out, let it sink, reel it back.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paparon

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/12/23 04:09 PM

Looks like some good info there, but you may also want to bring along some El Peppero! Even though everyone else groans, I sometimes crack myself up!
Posted By: Stogie

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/12/23 08:44 PM

Going in February
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/12/23 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguar6
Originally Posted by Douglas J

I must have missed that first part of the accomodations.

IYKYK
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/15/23 11:54 AM

Were headed there mid oct. Following along. Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/17/23 05:55 PM

Leave it to Douglas J to completely show how low class trash he is with his comments. Simply amazing how a really good post with great info so far can be brought down. There's an old saying,
. Trash in your ears, trash out your mouth. Douglas just proved that to be true. I'm sure I will get trash talked for what I say. And to those that do it , it just shows what yall are to.
I'm planing on going to El Salto next year. So I am also keeping up with thos post. Hopefully it can stay on track. But I highly doubt it.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/19/23 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rangerkev
Leave it to Douglas J to completely show how low class trash he is with his comments. Simply amazing how a really good post with great info so far can be brought down. There's an old saying,
. Trash in your ears, trash out your mouth. Douglas just proved that to be true. I'm sure I will get trash talked for what I say. And to those that do it , it just shows what yall are to.
I'm planing on going to El Salto next year. So I am also keeping up with thos post. Hopefully it can stay on track. But I highly doubt it.

Yup, a bass fishing page with kids reading it. I hate this kinda trash on these pages.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/19/23 06:00 PM

I've been many times over 10 So I would bring what you like to throw and you'll catch them just fine. I've killed them on drop shots down there as they don't see too many. I also caught them really good on a Flick shake whacky worm...They just bite for the most part.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/19/23 06:33 PM

I like what Ozzie just said. I remember fishing with Cream worms. Purple yellow-tail, Purple-white tail. I may get out some of my old tackle I still have and try it just for fun.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/22/23 07:20 AM

Thanks guys. Keep em coming
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Going to El Salto Advice - 09/22/23 11:21 AM

I want to do this trip so bad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum