Texas Fishing Forum

Reel for the heavier baits

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 02:42 PM

I'm looking at getting a Dobyns Fury FR795SB or a FR806HSB rod to throw heavy swim baits, glide baits, and umbrella rigs with and just wondered with all the extra weight should I step up to a casting reel that is more geared toward off shore/bay/saltwater situation to hold up to the stress of the extra weight? I figure by the time you add braid and the load up on the cast that is going to generate a lot more stress on the reel frame.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 02:53 PM

Shimano Bantam MGL is designed for that kind of use but for some line capacity is an issue if using 50# or larger braid. Second option is the Curado 200K. More like capacity and a beefier AR bearing that can take the abuse. I've used both for A-RIgs for the last few years without a problem.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Shimano Bantam MGL is designed for that kind of use but for some line capacity is an issue if using 50# or larger braid. Second option is the Curado 200K. More like capacity and a beefier ;;AR bearing that can take the abuse. I've used both for A-RIgs for the last few years without a problem.

I'll look at those for sure. I've been studying the Lew's Custom Inshore SLP reel.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 03:03 PM

Curado 150 DC
Posted By: davidsears

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 04:32 PM

For what you described, I would suggest a 300 size reel such as: Shimano Tranx, Daiwa Lexa or the new Tatula 300, or other reels in the 300 size. If you are throwing baits weighing 3- 6 ozs., these size reels have enough line capacity and they are built better to handle the torque and wear and tear to throw those heavier baits. All the beefed up guts in the reel on those 300 size reels are made for that purpose. Check out Tactical Bassin on you tube for reels they use to throw heavier baits.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 04:52 PM

Some things to consider

Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 06:06 PM

I use the Lews super duty wide spool but wouldn't think some of the fore mentioned reels would be bad options.
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 07:49 PM

fish coolio cheers

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Calcutta_Conquest_MD_Casting_Reel/descpage-CONM.html
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 08:11 PM

eeks
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidsears
For what you described, I would suggest a 300 size reel such as: Shimano Tranx, Daiwa Lexa or the new Tatula 300, or other reels in the 300 size. If you are throwing baits weighing 3- 6 ozs., these size reels have enough line capacity and they are built better to handle the torque and wear and tear to throw those heavier baits. All the beefed up guts in the reel on those 300 size reels are made for that purpose. Check out Tactical Bassin on you tube for reels they use to throw heavier baits.

This.

Its not the frame that takes the stress of casting big baits. Its the pinion gear and the anti-reverse bearing.

Try this to see what I am driving at: Tie a 1/2 oz bait on your line and hit the free-spool button. Now do the same with a 6-8 oz bait. The 150 & 200 series reels are not designed to handle repeated abuse that comes from a 6.5 oz Hinkle or 8 oz soft swimmer like a 10" MagDraft.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 09:46 PM

love my Shimano Tranx 400 for throwing 6 inch swim baits, been around a while, proven... use it for salt water too. Like the power handle.

Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 11:09 PM

Daiwa Lexa 300
https://daiwa.us/collections/baitcasting-reels/products/lexa-tws
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 11:12 PM

Slightly overkill for your weightless wacky senko fished in 30 FOW……, bolt
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/13/23 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

peep
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

No doubt roflmao
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Shimano Bantam MGL is designed for that kind of use but for some line capacity is an issue if using 50# or larger braid. Second option is the Curado 200K. More like capacity and a beefier ;;AR bearing that can take the abuse. I've used both for A-RIgs for the last few years without a problem.

I'll look at those for sure. I've been studying the Lew's Custom Inshore SLP reel.

Most of us inshore/bay fishermen use whatever the bass fishermen are using. Those “inshore” model reels are just bass reels dollied up. Now fishing jetties or offshore, different gear. I’d get a 300 Tranx and be done with it.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

I'm actually torn between this reel and the new shimano antares dc md
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 04:07 AM

PISCIFUN 300 @ $99.00. I have been using one for over a year now and have no problem recommending it. One thing to consider when launching larger swimbaits is sooner or later that hawg you have been dreaming about will grab your offering as soon as it hits the water. There is something to be said for 8.1:1 gear ratio when this happens. Gathering line quickly under this situation can make the difference between keeping your fish pinned or losing it. I have used other 300 size reels in the past and always had concern for damaging or loss of those $250.00 - $300.00 gems. Now I just beat the heck out of my PISCIFUN and concentrate more on fishing hard.
Posted By: squib

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 08:24 PM

https://www.lews.com/en/shop/reels/casting/sd3c
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I use the Lews super duty wide spool but wouldn't think some of the fore mentioned reels would be bad options.

+1 The Lews super duty wide spool is perfect for large swim baits and deep diving crank baits. They hold a ton of line, they don't feel too big in your hand and they have several gear ratio's to choose from.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/14/23 11:50 PM

Just get the most expensive one of the two.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/15/23 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by davidsears
For what you described, I would suggest a 300 size reel such as: Shimano Tranx, Daiwa Lexa or the new Tatula 300, or [Linked Image]
other reels in the 300 size. If you are throwing baits weighing 3- 6 ozs., these size reels have enough line capacity and they are built better to handle the torque and wear and tear to throw those heavier baits. All the beefed up guts in the reel on those 300 size reels are made for that purpose. Check out Tactical Bassin on you tube for reels they use to throw heavier baits.

This.

Its not the frame that takes the stress of casting big baits. Its the pinion gear and the anti-reverse bearing.

Try this to see what I am driving at: Tie a 1/2 oz bait on your line and hit the free-spool button. Now do the same with a 6-8 oz bait. The 150 & 200 series reels are not designed to handle repeated abuse that comes from a 6.5 oz Hinkle or 8 oz soft swimmer like a 10" MagDraft.
Ive actually experienced breaking the anti reverse out of a reel. WE went offshore fishing off the coast of Alabama a while back and I caught an almost 50 pound Jack Cravalle fishing with 300 spinning tackle. That fish destroyed that reel. Luckily for me it was our fishing guides reel. If I remember right it was a Diawa reel. He said it was due. It had a ton of hours on it.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/15/23 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Just get the most expensive one of the two.

The JDM Antares DC MD it is and it’s only $540. Gonna go great with my Conquest 905 MBR

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/17/23 12:41 AM

Or you could put the Antares DC MD on the new Shimano Adrena that retails for $880. Just something to think about. Why settle for less???
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/17/23 01:06 AM

I definitely agree with the larger reel size. makes for a lot more enjoyable day!
Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/19/23 03:21 AM

Have the same rod paired with a curado 300 awesome combo!
Also have an 806 with tatula 300 equally awesome combo
But the daiwa lexa is nice too and can be had for a little less money not as nice in my opinion but also half the price
I have used all of these on snook and tarpon they are a little light for large tarpon I won't lie lol

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/20/23 05:53 PM

I have 1 300 size reel for large baits but I like the Super Duty wide spool better because it fits my hand better, holds a ton of line, and comes in several gear ratio's. The 300 is nice but just doesn't feel as good fishing with it for long periods of time.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/20/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I have 1 300 size reel for large baits but I like the Super Duty wide spool better because it fits my hand better, holds a ton of line, and comes in several gear ratio's. The 300 is nice but just doesn't feel as good fishing with it for long periods of time.

I hear ya bro. I throw the big baits on my big setup until my shoulder & wrists hurt then I set em down and throw a jig of big Fluke to rest. thumb
Posted By: Marmooskapaul

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/20/23 10:58 PM

On the cheap would an original Shimano Curado CU 200 work. Buy one on ebay with 6:3:1 gear ratio??
Posted By: davidsears

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/21/23 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Marmooskapaul
On the cheap would an original Shimano Curado CU 200 work. Buy one on ebay with 6:3:1 gear ratio??

It would work fine for a 6" Megabass magdraft that weighs 1 1/4 oz, but I would not use it for baits weighing 3+ oz. A cheaper option would be the Piscifun® Alijoz Size 300 Low Profile Baitcasting Reel for $99. I have no knowledge of this reel, but another TFF'r on a different thread stated he had used the reel for over 6 months and was pleased.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/23/23 03:07 PM

Lews Super Duty Wide Spool ($200-$220) I have 3-4 of these and use them mainly on Big C Rigs (3/4 oz-1 oz) Big Handle, but reel does not feel big. Light for its size. Holds all the line you could possibly need . After making a long cast, still plenty on there to maintain gear ratio.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/25/23 03:55 AM

The new Shimano Curado M series just released at i cast 23.
$199.99
Posted By: blackNblue_NTX

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/25/23 02:18 PM

You can tell a lot of people here dont throw big swimbaits, some of these reel recommendations just aint it. if you are constantly hucking around a 3 oz or bigger swimbait you need a reel with a lot of power and torque that can take the consistent all day casting and strain put on the gears. Anything less than a 300 size reel and you are only hurting yourself. I personally think the best reel right now for big swimbaits (3 oz and higher) for the value is the Daiwa tatula 300. The best reel and I mean the best for swimbaits in the 1 oz to 2 oz range like chopper style glides is the daiwa zillion HD.
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/25/23 02:37 PM

Agree with above, 300 size or Zillion HD are good rec's. Others you might look at are Daiwa BBS series or maybe Super Duty's and older TD-Z 100 for the "lighter side of heavy" I run a Zillion TW G on my Dobyns 794.5 rod, mostly throwing 1.5-3oz or less. Heavier than that you want to step it up to 300/HD reels for sure.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/26/23 12:39 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Personally I probably won't throw this set up all that much ; my shoulders and elbows would probably declare mutiny on me pretty quick. This will be used by my high school team to get an anchor fish in the boat. These high school kids will probably have some sore muscles the next day which they'll quickly get over, me not so much...........
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/26/23 12:51 AM

Curado 300e. Dobyns DC 795 sb. Tatsu 20lb min.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/26/23 03:22 PM

Anybody know what a Yum Flash Mob Junior rig weighs out of the package? Just realized I have one rod that might be capable of handling these. It's rated for a max weight of 2 ounces.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/26/23 04:23 PM

Why not use a round reel abu or shimano they are stout great .
Heck you probably already have one.’
J. D

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/26/23 05:41 PM

Anybody know what a Yum Flash Mob Junior rig weighs out of the package? Just realized I have one rod that might be capable of handling these. It's rated for a max weight of 2 ounces.

If you get the kit with 1/8 oz heads it will come out to about 2 oz total.

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/27/23 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

If you get the kit with 1/8 oz heads it will come out to about 2 oz total.

thumb
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: Reel for the heavier baits - 08/31/23 12:00 PM

I repurposed ABU 5500 C3’s…
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum