Texas Fishing Forum

Best Battery?

Posted By: Blake9

Best Battery? - 03/14/23 02:58 PM

I got some new electronics and was told i need to look into getting a lithium battery. Are they worth it? If so what should I go with?
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:00 PM

Need more details on your setup.

Are lithium worth it, sure they are. But may be overkill for what you need.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:04 PM

I have an 80 lb thrust fortrex with a garmin echomap 126sv and garmin echomap 93sv.

Thanks

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:14 PM

For that I would just look into the following batteries. Lithiums are great but not sure you'll need it for that setup.

The TM should be on it's on 24v setup and the units and cranking motor (if you're on a boat and not kayak).

Best: (Most Expensive)
X2 Batteryhttps://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/marine-and-boat/dual-purpose-(starting_cycling)/sli31agmdpm
Northstar

Better: (Not as Expensive)
Duracell 31M

I have 3 of the Duracell brand batteries and they are great.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:27 PM

What do you mean by 24v setup? Like it should be powered by 2 batteries?

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blake9
What do you mean by 24v setup? Like it should be powered by 2 batteries?

Correct...Unless your 80 lb thrust Fortrex is 12v, you will need 2 batteries in parallel to support the 24v system.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:31 PM

Oh wow. I never realized i could run them in parallel. Probably would get a lot more fish in the boat with a full speed trolling motor!! Thanks for your help.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:35 PM

Oh wow. I never realized i could run them in parallel. Probably would get a lot more fish in the boat with a full speed trolling motor!! Thanks for your help.

Just don’t run 24v to your graphs
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 03:49 PM

Parallel, voltage stays the same, amperage or current increases.
Batteries in series, voltages add.

Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 04:54 PM

This video will help walk you through how to determine what size battery you need for your electronics.

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 05:04 PM

You wouldn't be the first.

Fished with a guy in our club one time and was complaining about how slow his brand new 36V trolling motor was with brand new batteries.

I opened his back compartment and sure enough he had all 3 batteries connected in series, but the trolling motor cables were connected to the same battery. When I reconnected to batteries 1 and 3 and told him to try it out, he liked to have thrown himself out of the boat.

When in parallel, cables are connected to same battery and jumpers are run from + to + and - to -

In series, jumpers run from + to - and cables are connected to different batteries.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Parallel, voltage stays the same, amperage or current increases.
Batteries in series, voltages add.

Correct...used the incorrect terms.

They need to be in a series. My apologies.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 06:34 PM

Parallel... series... whatever! I bought 2 new duracells to power my TM and am going to use that video for my set up. I have 2 of those duracells currently, but one for cranking/starting/electronics and other for TM. Just going to keep the older one for cranking/starting/electronics and replace the TM battery with the 2 new ones.

Honestly can't wait to see what difference it makes. I feel dumb lol
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 06:41 PM

X2 power are great

Re: Best Battery? - 03/14/23 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
For that I would just look into the following batteries. Lithiums are great but not sure you'll need it for that setup.

The TM should be on it's on 24v setup and the units and cranking motor (if you're on a boat and not kayak).

X2 Batteryhttps://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/marine-and-boat/dual-purpose-(starting_cycling)/sli31agmdpm
Northstar

Duracell 31M

Just curious why you posted the AGMs as the best and then listed the Duracell Lead Acids as Better? Have you used the Duracell AGMs?

I have blue tops right now and am considering the switch to Duracell AGMs at less than half the price of the Blue Tops. They aren't that much more expensive than the Duracell Lead Acids.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/15/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss

Northstar

Duracell 31M

Just curious why you posted the AGMs as the best and then listed the Duracell Lead Acids as Better? Have you used the Duracell AGMs?

Isn't the scale...GOOD - BETTER - BEST

Good would be any Walmart brand...Better is the Duracell...Best being X2 / Northstar.

I'm currently using the Duracell AGM's in my boat 2 for TM, 1 for cranking. Nothing but good things to say about them. Purchased them from Sam's club. But Sam's has been on backorder for a while so the next place is Batteries +
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best Battery? - 03/15/23 06:12 PM

I have the X2 Northstar as my cranker and use the Duracell Ultra wet cells for my TM. The TM batteries are new but the 2018's went four years on a charger 100% of the time. Little bit of maintenance but they are excellent.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/15/23 06:26 PM

Ran the 2 new batteries in series last night and my trolling motor unlocked a new speed. Unreal that i was so ignorant for so long.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/15/23 06:55 PM

Northstar

Duracell 31M

Isn't the scale...GOOD - BETTER - BEST

Good would be any Walmart brand...Better is the Duracell...Best being X2 / Northstar.

I'm currently using the Duracell AGM's in my boat 2 for TM, 1 for cranking. Nothing but good things to say about them. Purchased them from Sam's club. But Sam's has been on backorder for a while so the next place is Batteries +

I get the scale.

I was just curious why you compared the Duracell lead acid to other AGMs and if for some reason you preferred the Duracell Lead Acids over the Duracell AGMs.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Best Battery? - 03/15/23 08:21 PM

banana Blake you will be amazedd!!!! i have same t.m. 19 ft Panterra 2 moves it well , 2 duracells . don't mean hijack. am interested in thoughts on l.s. battery also thanks

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 12:24 AM

I did this lithium comparison that may be helpful?

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 12:38 AM

I was just curious why you compared the Duracell lead acid to other AGMs and if for some reason you preferred the Duracell Lead Acids over the Duracell AGMs.

OOOPS....That Duracell is supposed to be the AGM model as well. Sorry for the confusion. I was only referring to all the batteries being AGM.

I'll take my 45 lashings now sir whip
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 12:53 AM

The best battery is a lithium, no more hurt shoulders taking them out & in.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 03:43 AM

Ran the 2 new batteries in series last night and my trolling motor unlocked a new speed. Unreal that i was so ignorant for so long.

All good, no reason to feel dumb. We were all there at one point or another. Now that you're wired up correctly you'll be ready to go!

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 05:22 PM

I bought 4 Optima Blue 31Ms in the Summer of 2014. I still have 3 of those batteries working fine.

I replaced 1 battery in 2021 when it wouldn't fully charge/hold a charge, only to realize a week later that I had a bad bank on my charger..........

So there is a good chance I could have had the same 4 batteries for going on 9 years.

They stay plugged in to my Minn Kota Precision Charger, and have yet to let me down.............................

But I do believe I'm going to give the Duracell's a chance next time just due to them being less than half the cost.

Lets hope I didn't just jinx myself for this weekend.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 08:24 PM

: fish Been following this battery thread. Guys i got a question , i am running 3 duracell lead acid batteries.have same foretrex as Blake. Got a garmin 1022 at bow, H. B. 1198 at console.Iam usually fishing around 6hrs or less. Mostlly for crappie. I have my black box in rod box, would like to put lithium in the box for weight save & also battery being smaller. So what size & make do ya'll prefer. Does Sam's carry lith? thanks for help. I reaaly enjoy reading & learning stuff on TFF from fishn, boat& trailer maint. etc.

Re: Best Battery? - 03/16/23 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
: fish Been following this battery thread. Guys i got a question , i am running 3 duracell lead acid batteries.have same foretrex as Blake. Got a garmin 1022 at bow, H. B. 1198 at console.Iam usually fishing around 6hrs or less. Mostlly for crappie. I have my black box in rod box, would like to put lithium in the box for weight save & also battery being smaller. So what size & make do ya'll prefer. Does Sam's carry lith? thanks for help. I reaaly enjoy reading & learning stuff on TFF from fishn, boat& trailer maint. etc.

This video covers how to determine what Ah lithium you need. Most need to be ordered online, there are some Amazon links in the video as well.

Posted By: prosise

Re: Best Battery? - 03/17/23 02:54 AM

Eg4 lithium have been solid for me. Two 100ah for the TM, and a 100ah for electronics. A normal battery would not last with the use I've been putting them thru lately. 18hrs straight TM and electronics. Current calculations confirm this.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Best Battery? - 03/18/23 03:15 PM

No you run 24 in series not parallel
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum