Texas Fishing Forum

Polarized glasses

Posted By: QuirkyCarp2000

Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:22 PM

What polarized glasses do you rely on the best? One that can help you see into the water better. Also, for those who wear prescription glasses, how do you make that work?
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:45 PM

Wiley X has several models you can get polarized Rx lenses in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:46 PM

I like Oakley deep water prizm P. They are great for fishing and driving. I used to like PiRanha till the lense fell out a minute ago. [Linked Image]

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Wiley X has several models you can get polarized Rx lenses in.

Got some of those too, with Rx lenses. If they didn’t give me weird depth perception I’d probably like them better. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:54 PM

Excellent polarized 180 degree viewing.
No problems wearing over regular glasses/bifocals.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 06:56 PM

Those always remind me of the “professional wrastlers” back in the day- some real snap into a slim Jim stuff
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 07:04 PM

Hell yeah brother!
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Those always remind me of the “professional wrastlers” back in the day- some real snap into a slim Jim stuff

yes cheers
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 07:18 PM

One of my HS anglers wears those Pit Viper glasses. He's a smaller kid that plays baseball as well.

https://www.pitviper.com/collection...iLCl9KiOtTD4OuseHZYyT17Vw-0aAjd0EALw_wcB
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 09:26 PM

Kaenon for sight fishing. It's not even close imo. Been using them for 20 years
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/13/23 11:58 PM

Anybody tried prescription DVX from Walmart? They're made by Wiley X

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'

Those are what I have in the second picture. I don’t like them.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 01:14 AM

Strike King S11... Helps soothe the sting when they fall in the water... Dan
Posted By: Skeeter4x4

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 01:15 AM

I want to see if anyone wants to trade some maui Jim for Costas or oakleys
Posted By: prosise

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 01:53 AM

If you don't have Rx glasses get (Glass) lenses. I have been wearing the same style of sunglasses since 1996. Maui Jim 159-02 wrap around sunglasses. They will not get scratched up like plastic lenses. I keep buying used models online for backups when a pair gets unexpectedly broken. I can't go outside without sunglasses, so I get good lenses. Glass, accept no substitute.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 12:20 PM

After losing about 20 pairs in the water over the years, I bought some amphibia shades at the bassmaster classic when it was in Ft Worth. I really like them and they float. Just ordered another pair last week.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'

Those are what I have in the second picture. I don’t like them.

I have to jump in and defend Wiley-X here. I have a pair of prescriptions in the Captivate frames and the green-ish tint polarized lenses. I’ve never had a pair of prescription sunglasses that were more sharp and clear. They have a 100 percent guarantee on their products. If you’re not happy with the prescription, take them back.

I will say that I am a Wiley-X distributor. My company, Techni-Tool Inc., offers the full line of products from Wiley-X.

The last pair of polarized sunglasses I had made was about 15 years ago. They’re Oakleys. I really like those lenses, too. The clarity and sharpness of my Wiley-X glasses are far superior to my Oakleys.

Since I do sell Wiley-X, feel free to contact me (DM) if you want more information. I can get you anything on their website. The Military and Law Enforcement both use Wiley-X. I was issued a pair of Wiley-X when I was working in Iraq. (Non-Military) I was a DOD contractor.

My apologies to the OP if you feel I have hijacked your thread.

JR
Posted By: Slacklinedime

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 01:10 PM

I use a few different pairs depending on the water and light conditions.
Oakley Prizm with copper lenses for overcast and sight fishing and Oakley Prizm with gray/ smoke lenses for overcast days.

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 10:16 PM

What about the glasses you find at academy? I think they may be tight enough to fit behind the prescription glasses.

But then, I don't know what to really expect with glasses. I know people wear them to help with sight fishing. I've never owned a pair and barely wore a pair in my lifetime.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/14/23 10:57 PM

For sight fishing for bass I like costa glass 580 lenses-copper, or the sunrise version for low light-those are expensive though so losing a pair stings.
Exact brand and being expensive probably makes less difference than people think. Ideally the frame should block light coming from the side, grey lenses aren’t as good, and a hat helps a lot.
Maui and Kaenon are good as well.

Posted By: Fisherman356

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 02:46 AM

Kind of pricy, are these better than say a pair from Walmart for 7 bucks?
Posted By: mach316

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 11:06 AM

Hobie Sightmasters. Been using them for years.

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dr JL
For sight fishing for bass I like costa glass 580 lenses-copper, or the sunrise version for low light-those are expensive though so losing a pair stings.
Exact brand and being expensive probably makes less difference than people think. Ideally the frame should block light coming from the side, grey lenses aren’t as good, and a hat helps a lot.

Kaenon offered a yellow 35 percent light transmission for years, I've had them for 15 years. They were an advantage sight fishing until Costa came out with something comparable. I think the Costa is slightly darker. The kaenon in copper 12 percent is unmatched in clear water and bright days. My tournament partner who has Costa is always asking for one of my extra pairs lol.

But... everyone's eyes are different and one brand over another doesn't mean they'll be better. Just have to find what works best for you
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
After losing about 20 pairs in the water over the years, I bought some amphibia shades at the bassmaster classic when it was in Ft Worth. I really like them and they float. Just ordered another pair last week.

These are absolutely my favorite sunglasses and they are local. Only thing I don't like is that I have a couple of pair that I got that have built in readers in them which is a must for my old eyes but they no longer stock these lenses and I have been on a search to find someone who can make replacement lenses for them with the readers. I will keep searching because I love the Hydrafoil frames and like you these have accidentally fallen into the lake a few times and are never seen sinking out of sight to the bottom of the lake.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

Kaenon offered a yellow 35 percent light transmission for years, I've had them for 15 years. They were an advantage sight fishing until Costa came out with something comparable. I think the Costa is slightly darker. The kaenon in copper 12 percent is unmatched in clear water and bright days. My tournament partner who has Costa is always asking for one of my extra pairs lol.

But... everyone's eyes are different and one brand over another doesn't mean they'll be better. Just have to find what works best for you

Just now buying some kaenon 12% copper! Gonna see how that goes but heard good things like you said.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 09:14 PM

I can vouch for this discounter of many brands of sunglasses. I have picked up several pairs of Costa for myself and gifts. They are a discounter so brands and inventory change often so you have to check regularly. I was told by a fishing buddy of mine to try NATIVE. I had never seen or heard of the brand until they showed up on this site. They were discounted to $59 bucks so I gave them a chance. I have to admit I like them every bit as much as the Costa (I know-sacrilegious).

https://www.steepandcheap.com/sunglasses?fl=true

P.S. They also discount fishing gear but only high-end fly fishing.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 09:37 PM

discountfishingdeals.com

Here’s another legitimate seller. I’ve bought a few pairs from him.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/15/23 09:41 PM

I have had several expensive pair of glasses like Oakley, Costa, H2 Optics, and many others.

I sight fish with a $ 5 pair and I can see just as good with these as any of the expensive pair I have ever owned.

At that price I don't have to worry about losing them or breaking them.

They are very lite weight also.

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

Just now buying some kaenon 12% copper! Gonna see how that goes but heard good things like you said.

You'll like them! Partly cloudy you may like the copper 28 percent better. But straight sun days can't beat the copper 12
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I have had several expensive pair of glasses like Oakley, Costa, H2 Optics, and many others.

I sight fish with a $ 5 pair and I can see just as good with these as any of the expensive pair I have ever owned.

At that price I don't have to worry about losing them or breaking them.

They are very lite weight also.

So what are the $5 pair?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 01:27 AM

Walmart Ozark Trail $ 5
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 02:54 AM

them costa 580G so clear I can see your wife 10 miles away in muddy water lol
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 01:38 PM

switched to solar bats , same quality lens as costa, and wiley's for a 1/2 of the price.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/16/23 05:25 PM

lens color will change depending on water clarity and over cast conditions.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/17/23 01:47 AM

Strike King $25. Last longer than the Costas which have rubber in the frames.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/17/23 01:53 AM

👍👍

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/17/23 04:16 AM

If different lens colors are used for different conditions like overcast or sunny days, then what color lens is good for all around conditions? One color for overcast to sunny weather?
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/17/23 04:52 AM

I wore Costa 580s for years - loved them - but went to Maui Jim Southern Cross with the Maui HT lens and readers. Cuz I'm old. Fantastic glasses and worth the price, imho. Though I get them at cost, so... smile

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/17/23 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuirkyCarp2000
If different lens colors are used for different conditions like overcast or sunny days, then what color lens is good for all around conditions? One color for overcast to sunny weather?

The reason for different lens colors is contrast. If I had to pick one color for both cloudy and sunny it would be a "light" copper. I use strictly kaenon due to varying light transmissions offered. Most companies just use an all around transmission percentage. Kaenon at one time offered 3 in copper. 50 percent, 28 percent, and a 12 percent...the darkest lens.

A 28 percent copper is my all around lens. 12 percent copper for bright days. And a 35 percent yellow for early morning and dark days
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/21/23 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TBassYates
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

These are absolutely my favorite sunglasses and they are local. Only thing I don't like is that I have a couple of pair that I got that have built in readers in them which is a must for my old eyes but they no longer stock these lenses and I have been on a search to find someone who can make replacement lenses for them with the readers. I will keep searching because I love the Hydrafoil frames and like you these have accidentally fallen into the lake a few times and are never seen sinking out of sight to the bottom of the lake.

My Amphibias the coating started peeling off on my two pairs and my son's two pairs. Sent them back and they did the same thing.
Posted By: RedRaiderAngler

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/21/23 06:19 PM

I prefer Costa not only for their effectiveness, but also for the looks since I wear them outside of fishing. 😎

Aside from this, the cheap strike king ones seemed to be just as effective but they were not so good looking. I’ve noticed the biggest difference maker with polarized glasses are the side shields/protection from the frames. Less light coming in through my peripherals seemed to help the most.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Polarized glasses - 03/22/23 04:28 PM

I wear about three different types of sunglasses now. I have a pair Maui Jims, some of the best I have worn. I have a pair of Wylie X in the Green. I have some Costas that I liked and lost them at one of the Bass Champs Big Bass tournaments. Went to sent in my seat and I had them on my head and I am 6'4" and those tents are very low and I guess it knocked them off and no one turned them in. The next pair was a similar to those but I didn't like the way they sat on my face. I have 3 cheap pairs of special sunglasses that Berkley once made that I use on cloudy days to bedfish. The make a big difference. They no longer make them.
Posted By: Zoe Lakin

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 08:16 AM

I love this Oakley Men’s OO9154 eyewear’s more aggressive styling. It's suitable for playing sports, especially baseball. The prescription glasses are some of the sturdiest I’ve seen. One could accidentally hit these glasses with a baseball bat, and the lens wouldn’t shatter. It might break but won’t produce shards that can harm the eyes.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 12:49 PM

For me the best optics are Oakley prizm but very pricey. I have Oakley, RayBan, and some Faguma sunglasses that were recommended on here. The Faguma are good for the price well under $20 but of course the optics cannot compare to Oakley prizm but certainly worth the money.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 01:15 PM

Costa 580g

Tried Waterlands early this year. Although comfortable sunglasses. The lense quality is no where near the same level as Costas or even Oakleys. Did a lot of experimenting sight fishing with them.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 02:00 PM

I've tried several brands from inexpensive to say what!?

Here's what I've learned:

Inexpensive brands:
Strike King
Solar Bat
FishGillz

They work for decent sun / glare protection. Bed fishing the Solar Bats gradient lenses were the best. They work in a pinch and are great everyday use glasses. Most have pretty good durability when it comes to use / abuse. Lens are all poly and scratch eventually. The lens coatings applied will start to fade / chip away when used for long periods with sweat / sun screen interaction. Lens choices are minimal, which is often geared toward sunny days on the water.

Expensive brands:
Amphibia
Costa
Oakley

These work far better for clarity, glare, and sun blockage. They hurt your wallet when you need to replace, upgrade, etc. They are heavy with glass lenses and the poly lenses seem to scratch like the inexpensive brands. Coatings less likely to chip / fade, but it does happen. The expensive brands have shown me more when bed fishing than I ever imagined. These expensive brands have quite a few options for lens colors, which have a purpose, so you'll be needing 2-3 in your boat. One thing to note: Amphibia I couldn't get used to, that floatation bubble on the side didn't play well with me and my hats.

Overall, the glasses I wear most are Costas. This is because of the clarity they provide. I'm not loyal to them by any means, and look for deals when purchasing glasses, but usually end up with Costas due to history.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 05:30 PM

Maui Jim rose for me
Posted By: Brentos

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 06:00 PM

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Smith Sunglasses.
They are $$$ but have styles on sale on their website often.
They mostly market to the fly fishermen which is where I found them.
I have Costa and Smith and the glass and plastic lenses from Smith are superior to Costa in my experience.
Blue water lenses, regular, low light, etc.

Customer service is amazing too.
I sent back a few pair of glasses because of scratches and they replaced them. One pair was 3 years old. They didn’t make the frame anymore so gave me credit toward a new style.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brentos
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Smith Sunglasses.
They are $$$ but have styles on sale on their website often.
They mostly market to the fly fishermen which is where I found them.
I have Costa and Smith and the glass and plastic lenses from Smith are superior to Costa in my experience.
Blue water lenses, regular, low light, etc.

Customer service is amazing too.
I sent back a few pair of glasses because of scratches and they replaced them. One pair was 3 years old. They didn’t make the frame anymore so gave me credit toward a new style.

That is all that I wear is Smith Action Optics. Starting off fly fishing 20 years ago, they are the best in the business in my opinion. I have mentioned Smith many times on many threads but the bass guys love their Costa's. I had a pair of Costa's early on and sold them cause the Smith's polarization and clarity was far superior.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Polarized glasses - 05/25/23 07:20 PM

Maui Jim rose for me
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum