Texas Fishing Forum

Had something unusual happen this weekend

Posted By: Fish Killer

Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 02:51 PM

Yesterday my buddy and I went out to PK for a day of searching for some new water and general scanning

Every place we stopped and got on the trolling motor to scan. We would be surrounded by Buffalo They would come up and circle around his Active Target transducer. Bumping into it constantly. Even so much so we would hit them with the trolling motor prop. You would hear it and see scales everywhere but it wouldn’t run them off. You would see the same fish swimming around with scales missing on the top of their head

It was like we were running in tree tops with the constant noise from running over them

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I run livescope and I’ve never had it happen before
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 02:54 PM

Interesting... Maybe responding to a mating call of sort... Dan
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Yesterday my buddy and I went out to PK for a day of searching for some new water and general scanning

Every place we stopped and got on the trolling motor to scan. We would be surrounded by Buffalo They would come up and circle around his Active Target transducer. Bumping into it constantly. Even so much so we would hit them with the trolling motor prop. You would hear it and see scales everywhere but it wouldn’t run them off. You would see the same fish swimming around with scales missing on the top of their head

It was like we were running in tree tops with the constant noise from running over them

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I run livescope and I’ve never had it happen before

Probably why you couldn't find the crappie you were looking for.

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Oh crappie we’re caught. But not on the south end
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 03:43 PM

Buffalo be hate'in on FFS too! roflmao
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Originally Posted by WAWI

Oh crappie we’re caught. But not on the south end

Stay north, the south side crappie are mine
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 04:43 PM

The fish are fighting back
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 04:50 PM

Least they did not get you with their horns...
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 07:15 PM

Where do you have your Hydrowave speaker mounted? banana

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Where do you have your Hydrowave speaker mounted? banana

No hydrowave
Posted By: Rich12

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 08:17 PM

It is that world renown and rare species of Buffalo. Know locally as the Randy B. They absolutely hate any technology especially BASS on Grand Lake.
Posted By: Wimbobug

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 08:43 PM

I had this happen a couple of years ago with carp on Lake Travis. Didn't have FFS, just standard trolling motor transducer. They were fired up
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 08:48 PM

Maybe the clicks and pings sound like emerging crawfish? Carp will not turn down a tasty crawfish meal.
Posted By: bo tbo

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 09:08 PM

My sons buddy was out on PK yesterday. He said he was hitting carp with the prop of the big motor. When he put the boat on the trailer, he saw eggs stuck to the lower unit.
Posted By: RED70

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 09:54 PM

Saw this very same thing at Bridgeport about 3 weeks ago. There were hundreds of them in one area. I just assumed they were spawning or getting ready to. I have to say though it was weird and I have never seen it before.
Posted By: killabooner

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 10:11 PM

I have had this happen several times near the marina at Bonita Shores,
but it was common carp hitting the trolling motor prop every time I hit
the button. It must irritate them.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 10:23 PM

Had this happen on Ray Hubbard in the shallower part of Bayview Marina 8-10 years ago in April, way before FFS.

It was a crazy experience
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/13/23 11:08 PM

Bluff Creek on PK was covered in them Friday. Dropped my Livescope in and was like damn there are fish everywhere! Then I looked out and saw what they were. There were bass too but they were outnumbered by the hundreds.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/14/23 01:06 AM

That's kind of alarming to be honest. But interesting as well. Closest thing I have happen is in the bayous around here pods of shad will stay under the mega live and follow me around. Not that helps my fishing buy its kinda neat I guess.
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/14/23 03:23 PM

That school of Buffs may be offspring from one that cross bred with a piranha that had been released into the lake from someone's fish aquarium.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/14/23 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by RED70
Saw this very same thing at Bridgeport about 3 weeks ago. There were hundreds of them in one area. I just assumed they were spawning or getting ready to. I have to say though it was weird and I have never seen it before.

Wow, that is incredibly early for a carp spawn on Bridgeport.
Posted By: Eddie Haskell

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/15/23 01:40 AM

The carp are very shallow way up the creeks on Bridgeport. There's two of them swimming in Big Creek with a 1/8 oz red jig head and salt & pepper tube in their mouth
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/15/23 05:48 AM

Saw hundreds on pk Monday as well.
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/16/23 09:00 AM

I believe, I read somewhere, that it was Global Warming that caused this type of reaction and how Carp responded. Or was it Climate Change? Just not sure anymore.
Posted By: pinetree

Re: Had something unusual happen this weekend - 03/16/23 08:36 PM

I had this happen to me the other day, didn’t notice em bumping the trolling motor but it seemed as if they were following me around.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum