Texas Fishing Forum

Fiberglass and hail question

Posted By: rkd

Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 02:05 PM

Boat is garage kept at the expense of two cars. Live in Dallas and am expecting some decent storms with potential big hail this afternoon. I have a heavier duty Skeeter custom cover. If I pull the boat out this afternoon and wrap it tight with the heavy cover, can hail still damage the fiberglass? Not sure what I'll do with the cowling but at least the boat will be covered. (and both cars will be in the garage!)
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 02:12 PM

In the 20 years I have been doing fiberglass repair I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen fiberglass damaged by hail. It just doesn't happen much. Cover, windshields, seats and graphs can easily get damaged...
Posted By: kcb

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 02:15 PM

Partly going to depend on the size of any hail you get and the wind speed. The carpet is unlikely to get any damage whatsoever but can’t rule out glass damage if the hail is golf ball size and up. I think you have the right idea to prevent a problem with what you described.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 02:40 PM

Wrap some blankets in the sensitive areas, consoles, cowling, etc.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 03:05 PM

Put your mattresses on top of your cars or boats

Let your inner Hillbilly show....
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 03:08 PM

I’ve seen one boat with hail damage before. I would leave whatever has the best insurance outside.
Posted By: Jeeper92

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 03:24 PM

I'd leave the car outside over the boat. Our world has many more facilities and better techniques to fix cars from hail than fiberglass boats.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeper92
I'd leave the car outside over the boat. Our world has many more facilities and better techniques to fix cars from hail than fiberglass boats.

^^^^^
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 08:11 PM

Leave the boat in the Garage. Tell your other half to meet you at a parking garage, at the Galleria. Eat dinner over there watch a movie in the car on your phone. then drive home. the storms coming thru are moving fast.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 09:21 PM

TxFisherman03-done. Thank you much. Resolves everything....and then some. But I'm taking credit for the idea. She'll never know.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 09:31 PM

For the motor cowling a comforter from bedding and a bungee cord wrapped around the base to hold it on. That should protect it.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Fiberglass and hail question - 03/02/23 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rkd
TxFisherman03-done. Thank you much. Resolves everything....and then some. But I'm taking credit for the idea. She'll never know.

Good call. If her car gets beat up to protect your boat, you will never live it down. Not worth the risk. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum